Solved

ASRock Extreme4 or Extreme6?

I'm doing a new build with a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k and have decided on either the ASRock Extreme4 or Extreme6. There are obviously a few addition on the Extreme6 such as ports but am I missing something other than extra ports that makes the Extreme6 standout above the Extreme4 and worth the buy? Currently the difference in price is about $45. Thanks
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asrock extreme4 extreme6
  1. Best answer
    2 extra SATA III ports, 2 extra USB 3 ports, 2 extra USB 2 ports, more RAID options

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%2050001944%20600093976&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280|13-157-231^13-157-231-TS%2C13-157-229^13-157-229-TS

It's the similarity that concerns me, both only have a 2 year warranty.
  2. The extra ports, plus the enhanced power system on the Extreme6. Theoretically, more power phases leads to lower temps on the power circuitry and higher overclocking potential.
  3. The Extreme6 also has a port for a floppy. It has a dual LAN setup as well.

I am happy with the very Extreme6, and think that the extra $$$ were well spent.
  4. The Extreme6 looked like the best choice due to the extra power phase and extra ports. Just wanted to see if there was anything that made the Extreme4 a better buy. The extra $$ isn't that extra considering the 6 is about a $35 difference. Thanks
  5. silent54 said:
    The Extreme6 looked like the best choice due to the extra power phase and extra ports. Just wanted to see if there was anything that made the Extreme4 a better buy. The extra $$ isn't that extra considering the 6 is about a $35 difference. Thanks

The Extreme6 appears to be the top of the line for ASRock -- the Fatal1ty varient seems to have a couple of bells and whistles but a higher price because of the royalties. The Fatal1ty uses all of the same components as the 6 but adds a polling adjustable game mouse port and an IDE connector. Not worth the extra $$$ IMO, plus you have to see Fatal1ty's image all over the place.

The 4 is a very good mobo, but the 6 is a shade better. If you're keeping it for a while then the 6 is the better buy.
  6. I'm looking at the same setup and I was just wondering if it has easy overclocking?
  7. Overclocking the Sandy Bridge CPUs is usually very quick and easy. Just a couple of steps and BLAMMO! you're running the CPU 30% faster. Whether that makes any difference with the programs you run is another matter...
  8. Thanks!
  9. Well good luck with the Asrock. I got the Extreme 6 and had a few setup problems that I couldn't solve. Asrock support just blows. 3 weeks later and they still haven't answered my support request. Their forum support is just as bad, non-existent. I sent the damn thing back. A possible decent board and crappy as hell support makes for rough going. I switched over to the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe. It rocks. Easy setup, easy as hell to overclock, and outstanding product/forum support. I posted two support requests and in a matter of several hours, I had my answers. And in line with what Chesteracorgi said, overclocking on the ASUS was nothing to do. Just a matter of matching the speed you want with the voltage to make it stable and temps down. My i5 2500K is OCed at 4.7Ghz at 1.365volts with a 100% load temp at 65-68c.
  10. Quote:
    Z68 EXTREME 7 release July/Aug 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tg7-8W5kSs

*** spam somone elses forum
  11. Best answer selected by silent54.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Sandy Bridge ASrock New Build Product