Sign in with
Your question

Core i& 950 bloomfield cores reaching 99C under full load?!?

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2010 10:26:41 PM

I just built a system with this CPU and stock cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am not overclocking but thought it might be a good idea to run prime95 to make sure it was getting cooled properly. From what I've read, they're saying that if the cores stay under 80C I should be fine, but under full load prime95 test, I'm seeing core temperatures reaching 99C, and an overall CPU temp of 84C. This seems worrying to me. Should I be worried?

At idle the cpu temp is 31C and cores hover around 45-50C.

Full specs:
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ...
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ...
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

a b à CPUs
September 30, 2010 10:37:42 PM

you should be very worried, get a nice 120mm aftermarket heatpipe cooler
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
September 30, 2010 10:43:02 PM

^+1....

I would in the short-term, 1) verify your heat sink is fully seated & 2) if fully seated, remove it, clean off the thermal compound (CPU & Cooler), re-apply thermal compound & re-apply the heat sink.
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2010 11:36:35 PM

It's on there solidly. Before I take it off I'll have to make a run to the store for more grease... Man, I hope nothing has been damaged.
m
l
September 30, 2010 11:47:10 PM

I just took it off. there's something wrong here. Last time took one of these stock coolers off the grease was spread out like a puddle. This time the grease was still neatly in it's rows. Perhaps there wasn't enough pressure between the fan and the chip? I'm going to apply some arctic silver and try again.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
September 30, 2010 11:51:19 PM

Good call... It should be spreadout like you have previous seen.
m
l
October 1, 2010 5:14:03 PM

if the chip was damaged in some way, would it just stop working? Any test I should run to ensure I didn't fry it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 6:10:15 PM

If the CPU got near to its thermal limit it would slow itself down to prevent damage. The only way to fry it would be to run the system with no heatsink whatsoever so the heat builds faster than the motherboard can detect and throttle.

You should be OK.
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:24:47 PM

with the new thermal grease on there(unfortunately couldn't find arctic silver locally), over time with prime95 I'm seeing it hit overall cpu of 76C, cores hitting 88C at it's max. It then seems to drop down to 72C and 84C for cores. Doesn't look like it's getting any hotter than that, which is better than what I had, but still seems on the high end.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 1, 2010 6:32:01 PM

Those temps are still on the high side, which is why one of the initial request was to get an aftermarket heat sink & good thermal compound. Stock coolers & thermal compound don't cut it. :) 
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:37:45 PM

hmmm... I guess maybe I should look into that.. This computer is for my parents, who aren't exactly power users so I'm debating whether or not I can get away with keeping the stock cooler, but I don't want to shorten the lifespan of the chip as they plan on keeping this computer for a long time. The hardest they'll push it is for some games(BC2 for example) that my father plays. I might go through some of their typical activities and watch the temps.

I'm using speedfan to watch the temps, is there a better program out there I should be using?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 1, 2010 6:57:54 PM

I'm a fan of RealTemp or HWMonitor over Speedfan. They seem to provide more accurate results, along with the RealTemp is able to be calibrated.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 9:22:59 PM

Before doing anything, attach our cooler and then put your computer on its side. This way, if the cooler was attached to loosely, gravity will tell you if its on properly. If temps decrease while its on its side, it means the cooler is making better contact as a result of gravity, hence your mounting is incorrect. If temps don't differ then my suggesting is get a nice cooler with nice thermal grease and forget about heating problems (PERIOD). When I bought my i7 920, I bought a V8 and some AS5 and didn't even touch the stock heatsink. I attached everything my CPU idles at 28C (during summer) and like 25 (during winter, which probably be less as my new much cooler video card has reduced my system hardware temps significantly, going from a 90nm to a 40nm jump). And I wouldn't recommend letting cores go over 70C personally...its good to keep everything cool if you want it lasting a long time.
m
l
October 1, 2010 9:37:12 PM

I guess I'll get a New cooler since its still hitting 90s with new grease.... Same when its on its side. I only ever see these temps in Prime 95 tests though
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 1, 2010 10:59:21 PM

An Antec 300 will fit the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus & similar sized heat sinks (have one sitting in the other room with it). I would go with this one instead.
m
l
October 1, 2010 11:15:19 PM

I was just looking at that one but hadn't found physical dimensions yet. hmm... It does look like a good one. I just wanna make sure it fits. Just looked it up. Yeah I think I'll go with this one. Why not.. not very expensive and has good reviews. Getting some arctic silver to go with it.
m
l
October 7, 2010 4:28:51 PM

tecmo34 said:
An Antec 300 will fit the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus & similar sized heat sinks (have one sitting in the other room with it). I would go with this one instead.

The difference this made is kind of insane. Under a full load of prime 95 I'm seeing a max temp of 65C. That's a far cry from the 92C I was seeing before. There's just one thing that concerns me though. The heatsink has some movement to it. not up and down, but it can be twisted a little bit. Does yours also have this issue? I'm wondering if this will become an issue. The little pin that holds it in place isn't very tightly against the heatsink bracket.... this might be ok, but still concerns me. I might attempt to reseat it...
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 7, 2010 4:28:55 PM

A little "twist" is not an issue. If you are getting acceptable temps, I won't worry about it. It is basically just the movement between the bracket and the bottle that gives you the side to side movement.

Glad to hear you had a nice improvement!!
m
l
October 7, 2010 4:44:38 PM

now it idles at or below 35C. I didn't think it would make this huge of a difference but wow. I don't understand why intel would give out such crappy stock coolers with their cpus. I guess they want you to burn through them faster.

Maybe I'll let the twist slide.. I don't like the idea of things moving around during shipping.(when I need to ship it)
m
l
October 7, 2010 4:53:45 PM

BTW, thanks for all the help and advice everyone, esp Tecmo! Thanks!
m
l
October 7, 2010 10:35:58 PM

i swapped out the fan that came with it, with a vantec stealth fan. temps seem unaffected and the stealth fan is much much quieter. i heavily recommend stealth fans.

hmmm... it does appear to sacrifice about 4 degrees in cooling, but it's still topping out at 69C, which is in the safe zone. I think it's worth it for the sound difference. Esp since I doubt my parents will run it this hard.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 7, 2010 10:52:05 PM

Good point... I've never been concerned fan noises / noisy system though :lol: 
m
l
October 8, 2010 1:54:58 AM

Hey Ghost9,

thanks for posting this thread, i've actually had the same problems--with similar specs as yours.

im running i7-930 with a sabertooth x58; nzxt hush case, and corsair hydro series cooler (which should be cooling my cpu pretty well).

what i was really concerned about was my NB temperatures im getting.

it would often get to 64 idle and 80 on load. my CPU is at 46 C idle (about 25 C in my room) which concerns me a bit. My system also runs at 49 C.

when running prime95 my CPU would get to mid 70's and my NB would get to high 80's. i then got the spot cool antec fan and pointed it at the NB, lowering it to maybe mid 70's too.

i plan on getting new thermal paste. may i ask if there are any recommendations that you have that helped u out?
m
l
October 13, 2010 4:47:10 PM

xfluux said:

i plan on getting new thermal paste. may i ask if there are any recommendations that you have that helped u out?

the new cooler and arctic silver thermal compound is all i have to recommend. I haven't even looked at northbridge temps, but I don't even see a temp listed anywhere for that.
m
l
!