griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Hello community, I was wondering If I could buy an SSD and install the OS, then buy a HDD later and install the same OS Disk on the hard drive later? I want the SSD for gaming and the HDD for Pics, Vids, and pretty much anything that'll probably just sit on my desktop and in my folders lol. Oh, and I wont need a RAID controller for this? Will I?

Solution
You can have two win 7 installs on two separate disks but I would not recommend it. You would not want or need a RAID controller to do it. A better solution might be to create two different users and each would have distinct desktops.

Also, you would need a second install key, as this is the Windows 7 license term:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on
one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

RealBeast

Titan
You can have two win 7 installs on two separate disks but I would not recommend it. You would not want or need a RAID controller to do it. A better solution might be to create two different users and each would have distinct desktops.

Also, you would need a second install key, as this is the Windows 7 license term:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on
one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

Solution

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

I just built a new pc with both a SSD and HDD ... interesting thing was that all the info said build with the SSD and leave the HDD out ... then install Win7 and do a bunch of stuff ... then put the HDD in ... then point things at HDD instead of SSD.

I have a ASRock mobo and there are two SATA3 connections ... I used 0 for the SSD and 1 for the HDD ... no RAID or anything.

RealBeast

Titan
Yup, best way to install with just the SSD connected first, even if for some reason a second installation on a different SSD or HDD is needed that is the best start. Then add the drive that needs a second OS, install it, then add all the other non-OS drives. Still, I don't recommend two Win 7 installs for most people, and those who really need multiple OS installations are generally better off with VMWare 8 Workstation and as many OSs as they need. Mine go from DOS to Windows 8 for testing and troubleshooting.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

So you're telling me I can? But I'd have to have 2 users?

RealBeast

Titan
No, I am saying that you can do two installations. You would have to select the installation to use at startup of the computer.

It would just be easier to do one installation and create two users -- one for whatever you want on your desktop for what would have been installation 1 and the other for user 2. That way you can switch between users with just a quick logoff, logon and no computer restart. Also far less problems.