APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month or so
BUDGET RANGE: $2000 before rebates; preferably including tax and S&H
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: CAD drafting (ACAD specifically) > gaming > internet/multimedia
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada
PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm looking at Intel over AMD (but would gladly accept opinions to the contrary), otherwise, not too particular re: brands, but I demand quality of product/service. I would prefer Mid-tower and if I can get a pretty decent system without spending the full 2 G's that would be great!
OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe later
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No / Maybe later
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200 minimum
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Some buzz-words: reliable, quiet, multi-tasking capable, easy installation
THIS IS MY FIRST EVER BUILD. I will have access to an experienced builder for troubleshooting, but I really would like to do it on my own. Please try to avoid products that are known to be finicky or more appropriate for vets.
I've taken a stab at selecting some components based on speed > positive user review > price.
The CPU/MoBo/RAM situation is nearly a complete mystery to me. I think I've found compatible products, but I don't know if they're more potent than I'll need, or whether they're even good choices. This is where I could use the most assistance!
As I've got it added up on newegg.ca I've got a total of $1627.41 ($1861.43 after taxes and S&H). I've laid out my requirements, now I leave it up to the masters to set me straight!
Anywhere you feel I can get away with a lesser product (less speed/size, not quality), let me know. Also, I did not touch upon the CPU cooler or fans. I'm hoping I don't need to upgrade the stock products as I'm not OC'ing and I won't be doing any extensive gaming (I'll be cracking out on SC2 and D3 when it comes out, of course ); but please set me straight if need be.
I was hoping that SOMEONE would have responded by now...
Anyway, in the last 24 hours I've vastly increased my knowledge of modern components (taking said knowledge from basically zero up to noob ). As a result I swapped out the MoBo and changed a couple items for cost savings. All links in this reply and the original post go to newegg.ca
New total is $1637 ($1873 after S&H and tax - stupid HST!!).
So, I think I've settled on the i7 930 over the Phenom II 965. It's pricier overall w/ MoBo, but it seems more future-proof. I suppose my posts are a little long winded, but I'm hoping someone can at least say, "you're way off buddy, try again" or even better, "looks good, but I would suggest..."
Case- Antec 300 is good, but Cm 690 is roomier for same price.
Mobo- A Ga x58 Ud3 is perfectly fine, and excellent mobo for the i7.
SSD- You want either a Sandforce or Intel controller. Top choices ATM are OCZ Vertex or agility 2, or Intel X25-M. However, major price drop in a few months so wait is you can to buy SSD then.
HD- SPinpoint F3 is the way to go. $80 for 1tb drive that rival raptors in performance.
RAM- You want tight timings, low voltage and 1600mhz for future OCing. G Skill is the best to go with right now.
I assume you want CUDA performance. In that case you'll want the Full Fermi, not the 104 derivative. A GTX 470 would be the best bet.
On future proofing, AMD socket AM3 be around a lot longer than socket 1366 from Intel. It's slated to be replaced next year, and all new architecture and new Sandy Bridge CPU's will not work with 1366. AMD's bulldozer however will be socket am3.
On the other hand, current Intel CPU's pretty much massacre AMD's in workstation tasks.
Not the best sustained read/write, but Intel controllers still have amazing random read/write performance (which is what matters in a boot drive). Cost per usuable GB is a lot lower than the OCZ ones, so this is still my rec, despite it's age. Again, as I mentioned, if you can put off the SSD for now, you should.
Thanks for the response and the detailed product selection! I think I agree with all of your suggestions, except that I still want to stick with the i7 (your comment about "Intel CPU's pretty much massacre AMD's in workstation tasks" really caught my eye. I do need this to be a system where I can work from home from time to time.
Why do you figure the price of SSD's is coming down? What do you mean when you say 'major price drop'? I'm hoping to build this system in the next few weeks and would like to do it as cleanly as possible right from the get go. I suppose I can wait, but if we're talking $50 I'm not really worried.
Gotta admit, I don't know what kind of a difference we're talking about between the 465 and the 470 for the GPU. As it stands, I think the 465 was already overdoing it for my needs. I was really thinking about 2 x 460 in SLI (1 now and one down the road). I don't plan on doing a whole lot of intensive gaming and what I've read seems to point at these cards being pretty beastly. I'm running a single GTX 260 in my current rig, and that runs beautifully as it is.
Unless I'm reading that wrong, aren't they making the change to 104 anyway (for heat issues and increased clocking)? Wouldn't I be heading this off at the pass and investing in a cheaper card to start with? I don't plan on investing in any additional cooling at this time if I don't have to. As it is, the 460 already has double the CUDA cores my 260 has, and I'm getting dangerously close to my max price.
Sorry, I'm not spitting on your opinion, I'm just taking this opportunity to educate myself and I grately appreciate this discourse. Plus I'm cheap!
new 24nm flash is costing half the price of the old Flash for SSD's. Whether this leads to a halving of SSD price, or more likely, a doubling of capacity for same price, or a mix of the two remains to be seen.
In addition, several new controllers are coming out, including the much anticipated new intel controller.
Would it be beneficial for me to forgo buying the SSD for now; setting up the new system using the HDD as the boot disk; then buying an SSD later when the price drops (or capacity increases); image the disk across; format the HDD and proceed as originally intended?
Do you know what kind of risks there are in attempting that?