Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why is Phenom II 955 slower than C2Q 9550 in most apps?

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2010 11:40:05 PM

Cache should not make a lot of difference. 3D Now effects should be minimal. Number of transistors or instruction sets may be it.

Best solution

a c 105 à CPUs
September 30, 2010 11:43:06 PM

they look pretty much even to me

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=50
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 12:06:23 AM

Nifty chart, now only if they did more testing, and allowed for overclocked values.
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
October 1, 2010 1:11:09 AM

mikeangs2004 said:
Cache should not make a lot of difference. 3D Now effects should be minimal. Number of transistors or instruction sets may be it.

You have to rember that AMD fell a little behind in the performance game when Intel released Core 2 line and it took them awhile to catch up in performance so the Phenom II 955 is basically AMDs equivalent to the 9550 just like the 965 is about the same as Q9650. AMD might come back head to head with Intel maybe? Thats only if bulldozer shows something..
m
l
a c 84 à CPUs
October 1, 2010 1:45:43 AM

yeah, people drill socket 775 and say its not worth upgrading, but it is still plenty fast and comparable to new platforms, although if your building a new PC, then you would want something newer for sure.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 4:04:13 AM

This is what people have been too blind to understand because all the dumb review sites (except AnandTech) kept comparing the Phenom II to the i7 9xx line. The Phenom II line was designed to combat the Core 2 Quad. Comparing it to the i7 line was completely unfair and I'm sure that Intel had a hand in that. You ask why the Q9550 beats the 955? Well for starters, it doesn't beat it in everything and when it does, it isn't by much. However, this might open your eyes:

AMD Phenom II X4 955:
AM3 CPU, motherboard can upgrade to the Phenom II X6 series.
Price: $145
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550:
Socket LGA 775 CPU, dead-end technology. Cannot be upgraded except to a Core 2 Extreme CPU like the QX9770.
Price (Q9550): $275
Price (Q9550S): $345
Just for fun, let's consider that the QX9770 is not available anymore but when it was it was more expensive than the i7-980X is right now. (>$1000)
When you consider $145 vs. $275-$345, that Q9550 should be CRUSHING, MANGLING AND DESTROYING the PhII-955. It isn't. Therefore, on a price vs. performance standpoint alone, the Q9550 is one of the worst purchases one can make not even counting the fact that the LGA 755 socket is dead technology. Anyone who buys a Q9550 or Q9550S today is an absolute MORON considering that a PhII-955 and an AM3 motherboard would cost less together than that chip by itself. Any further questions? LOL :sol: 
m
l
October 1, 2010 7:40:30 AM

yes u r... :D  (reply to ur signature) :D 
m
l
October 1, 2010 7:42:42 AM

By the way, AMD fanboi, :-P (I'm not flaming, just poking ;)  )
what about overclocking 955/965? How far they go?
m
l
October 1, 2010 7:44:12 AM

I agree to avro arrow ...

AMD is a blessing for a budget builder...
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
October 1, 2010 12:08:42 PM

Avro Arrow said:
. Anyone who buys a Q9550 or Q9550S today is an absolute MORON considering that a PhII-955 and an AM3 motherboard would cost less together than that chip by itself. Any further questions? LOL :sol: 

If someone has a good P35 or better socket 775 motherboard with an older core 2 dualie then the Q9550 makes the most sense if looking to upgrade to a quad. I have seen the Q9550 for around $200 in several places so if you look you can still get a nice upgrade fairly cheap.
Stupido said:
By the way, AMD fanboi, :-P (I'm not flaming, just poking ;)  )
what about overclocking 955/965? How far they go?

You can say the same for the Q9550-9650 they will both go to 3.8 4.0 ghz with the right setup and at those clocks the Phenom II can't touch either processor in overall performance.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
October 1, 2010 12:21:00 PM

Avro Arrow said:
LGA 755 socket is dead technology.

LOL its not dead its just not being expanded on anymore. The only thing you are right about is the price vs performance for a new build but like I said for an upgrade its still a viable upgrade. By you saying the core 2 quad is dead tech, you are saying that the Phenom II is dead also since AM3+ will not work in an AM3 board.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 12:50:42 PM

Avro Arrow said:
This is what people have been too blind to understand because all the dumb review sites (except AnandTech) kept comparing the Phenom II to the i7 9xx line. The Phenom II line was designed to combat the Core 2 Quad. Comparing it to the i7 line was completely unfair and I'm sure that Intel had a hand in that.

I agree with almost everything you say but this bit. A customer doesn't care what Intels AMD intended to compete with so it doesn't matter what generation Intel CPUs they compare the Phenom II X4 with, any current Intel that's on sale is good for comparison.

What matters is the price so they should compare the quad Phenoms with the Intel Core i3-550 or the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 or the Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 (all of them $149.99) - only they don't.

While they're at it, why shouldn't they compare the Athlon II X2 with the i-7 and the HD 5450 with the GTX 470?

Or the auto sites a FIAT 500 with a Lamborghini Gallardo, I mean they're cars, both of them.
For instance in this site if you select Ford Focus and then "compare" they offer you choices in the same price range, no dam Bentleys and Ferraris.

http://www.automotive.com/2010/12/ford/focus/compare/in...

m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 2:23:15 PM

saaiello said:
LOL its not dead its just not being expanded on anymore. The only thing you are right about is the price vs performance for a new build but like I said for an upgrade its still a viable upgrade. By you saying the core 2 quad is dead tech, you are saying that the Phenom II is dead also since AM3+ will not work in an AM3 board.

That's my definition of dead tech. By your definition, the socket 478 is still viable? I know I can still find Pentium-4's for sale. Dead tech means that it's not being expanded anymore. A socket AM2+ is not dead tech for instance, because even though the Athlon X2, Phenom I and Phenom II X4 920/940 are no longer being made, the AM3 processors are still being made and they fit the socket. :sol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 2:54:11 PM

saaiello said:
If someone has a good P35 or better socket 775 motherboard with an older core 2 dualie then the Q9550 makes the most sense if looking to upgrade to a quad. I have seen the Q9550 for around $200 in several places so if you look you can still get a nice upgrade fairly cheap.

You can say the same for the Q9550-9650 they will both go to 3.8 4.0 ghz with the right setup and at those clocks the Phenom II can't touch either processor in overall performance.

You are correct about the performance and overclocking but the price is horrible and the fact that you'll just have to buy another mobo anyway to upgrade beyond that makes it a bad choice regardless of performance. That CPU costs more than some i7's and I guarantee you that it doesn't beat those. Call me cheap if you want, but I think it's bad financial policy to spend over $200 on a CPU that performs worse than other CPUs at the same price level simply because I don't want to get another motherboard but will have to anyway once this CPU has outlived its usefulness. Oh wait, that's right, I have an AM2+ socket, I don't have to worry about such things, it supports all AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPUs! I knew there was a reason I chose the Phenom II X4 940 over the Core2Quad Q9400! LOL :sol: 
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
October 1, 2010 6:40:06 PM

Avro Arrow said:
You are correct about the performance and overclocking but the price is horrible and the fact that you'll just have to buy another mobo anyway to upgrade beyond that makes it a bad choice regardless of performance. That CPU costs more than some i7's and I guarantee you that it doesn't beat those. Call me cheap if you want, but I think it's bad financial policy to spend over $200 on a CPU that performs worse than other CPUs at the same price level simply because I don't want to get another motherboard but will have to anyway once this CPU has outlived its usefulness. Oh wait, that's right, I have an AM2+ socket, I don't have to worry about such things, it supports all AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPUs! I knew there was a reason I chose the Phenom II X4 940 over the Core2Quad Q9400! LOL :sol: 

So basically you might have one viable upgrade what the Thuban lol please that is not worth the upgrade even if your board will support it. In reality an upgrade is only viable if you atleast jump two tiers of performance the Phenom II x6 is barely worth getting over the x4. Clock for clock on a single core basis they about the same and alot of programs will barely use 4 cores. Also by the time programs can use a hexacore there will be way better technology out by then. So I still stand on this if and only if the user has a good 775 platform already and wants a quad it just make it an easy choice to me $200 for a Q9550 and add a year or two and then think about changeing platforms.

In the future when you can get AM3+ boards that can use the older AM3 CPU's then sure go for it buy a new board and a Phenom II now and a year or two down the line you got new bulldozer chips to look forward to. IMO its really stupid to upgrade now unless you really really need to. If at all possible you can wait I would suggest waiting.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 8:33:55 PM

Avro Arrow said:
That's my definition of dead tech. By your definition, the socket 478 is still viable? I know I can still find Pentium-4's for sale. Dead tech means that it's not being expanded anymore. A socket AM2+ is not dead tech for instance, because even though the Athlon X2, Phenom I and Phenom II X4 920/940 are no longer being made, the AM3 processors are still being made and they fit the socket. :sol: 

Then arent AM3 boards are dead tech by your definition? They are not being expanded anymore.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
October 2, 2010 5:20:54 AM

For office apps and internet, a P4 is still viable.

I just put together a junkbox system (G41M-ES2L, a set of old DDR2 RAM, and an old ACF7P cooler) with an E6500 OC'd to 3.66 GHz. Makes a nice responsive little system for office apps.

Sometimes "good enough" is good enough.
m
l
October 9, 2010 11:13:06 AM

Best answer selected by mikeangs2004.
m
l
!