Nelo6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Hey, I've posted before about rigs, and I know the main answers like Its better to just build it yourself,etc. Well, i saw this on Tigerdirect.ca, and it caught my eye, Don't worry about the price, I can afford it. I know its probably cheaper to do it all seperately but meh, Im lazy like that.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6488404&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

What does the community think? How are the parts on this, are they faulty? garbage? It seems legit. Anything thats bad in it that im missing? yes, this is mainly for gaming.

TomMario

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
You won't be able to crossfire in the future
PCI Express X16 Slots (Available): 0
And you will be paying 1/3 of the price only for the 16gb memory which you won't be needing i reckon..

Nelo6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I'm never gonna Crossfire, I dont need it IMO, I dont benchmark and I dont shoot for 80+ fps, etc, I would never do SLI either if i decided to get a nvidia card, thats pointless to me.

What about that case? I cant find any specs on it, whats the airflow like?

Nelo6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
What do you mean, what brand? They're both gateways, you mean MBoard etc?.. Well yeah, DX11 games and etc should run fine on it, SC2, Fallout LV, and whatever other games, crysis 2, theyre both able to be ran?

How are refurbished products btw? have any experience with them?

Is the refurbish Gateway better than the 1500$ one?

Nelo6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
ye, GTX 260 aint a bad gpu though, its pretty good :) couple glitches in it and whatnot. is there a gateway site in which you can see specific parts? brandnames etc?

I also just found a refurbished version of the same computer

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6448106&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

What are refurbishes exactly? I know theyre repairs, but like major repairs or what? How bad are they, how good?

theres a review on that refurbish, I noticed the only if was teh CPU, and the reviewer just gave 5/5 , hmm, what do you think?

TomMario

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Refurbished products could possibly be the products which are returned by the customer within the 90 day period Returns Policy of the company which sold the product, without any defect with the product. Studies show that 83% of "refurbished items" are, in fact, not broken or damaged in any way. Refurbished products are generally bench tested and certified by the authorized service centers of the company and then re-packaged, labeled as a Refurbished Product.

Nelo6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Like how HP has a site where you can type in a model Number and see all the parts specific brandnames and whatnot.

Like seeing if the motherbaord is EVGA, or seeing if the PSU is corsair , things like that

Nelo6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
mm, idk, after thinking about it i think i am leaning more towards the 1550 one ( which is actually 1900 after tax and environm. etc,) the refurbished product works for a while yes, but the chances of it breaking down again are pretty high isnt it, they are buisness men after all, they wouldnt repackage a product for that low of a price (pretty low from what i see) and ship it out.

must be prone to breaking down right?

TomMario

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Yes i builded the refurbished system on Newegg and it actualy comes around 1400$ so something must be wrong with it since they putted it so cheap.Yes if you ask for my opinion on those 2 the 1900$ sounds better now.Nevertheless i'd still say you can get a sweeter deal from a local dealer or just putting it together yourself.

TomMario

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
It looks pretty good, the GPu is a bit mediocre but can play all end-games at decent resolution. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx5750/
Cons: the price you can build that system for less then 800$ so you decide what you want.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

+ there is a forum specifically for this kind of madness, the prebuilt forum...