[Hard Drive] GPT and 3 TB?

tyo07

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi, I just a second before purchasing my new Harddisk but as usual I type everything that probably can cause a problem with my new component.

Firstly, I want to get a new HD, 3 TB should be a good decision and I won't need to upgrade it for 4 or 5 years. But, google gives me so many article about GPT and 3 TB. As far as I know GPT is something that like MBR controlling the hard disk isn't it?like the logical and primary thingy, but I don't know the detail things. So why this 3 TB hard disk can cause a problem with GPT?Will the same problem happen with 2 TB?

And what's the best solution because I've seen some several thread about deleting the basic MBR partition which probably means a reinstall of windows..

oh btw I already have two 500 GB and will replace the old 500 GB which contains data with 3 TB and I use windows7 64 bit.

THanks

Solution
You must use GPT to format a drive larger than 2.2Tb because the MBR has only 32 bits to store logical address blocks. GPT works fine and you should have no issues if your motherboard supports it, as Win7 x64 supports even booting from 3Tb GPT formatted drives.

Your motherboard might only support using it as a storage drive though, what model mobo do you have?

RealBeast

Titan
You must use GPT to format a drive larger than 2.2Tb because the MBR has only 32 bits to store logical address blocks. GPT works fine and you should have no issues if your motherboard supports it, as Win7 x64 supports even booting from 3Tb GPT formatted drives.

Your motherboard might only support using it as a storage drive though, what model mobo do you have?

Solution

tyo07

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

just a value mobo, asrock H61-VS and I'm sure it supports the EFI because yesterday I found that asrock already made a tool called hard disk unlocker for 3 TB drive and they list the compatibility for it.

thanks for the answer, I will order the harddisk tommorow!