Status
Not open for further replies.

Will 60

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Hi,
I am new here and need some opinions as to what the heck is going on with my PC. I have an S4300sx Compaq with a shut down problem. It started with the computer randomly shutting down. I took it apart and reseated everything , but it kept on happening It has gotten to the point where it will boot up and run for awhile and now when it shuts down , it will not boot up. It comes on for second then shuts off. If iet it sit for a half hour or so it will start again but does shut back down eventually.Initially I thought it might be the power supply as I know most often these problems can be traced to that. ...it almost seems as if it is overheating. The fans are all working but could the PS be overheating.
I also noticed that the system interrupt controller is no longer recognized...lost the driver??? However I don't think that is the problem. Any one else think it is the power supply or something else ...processor??Motherboard problem (capacitor heating up )??? ...i know sometimes it is tough to lock a problem down to one thing especially with a PC.

Thanks
William

It may be your PSU. But first:
-- Have you cleaned the dust from the heatsinks, including the cpu heatsink?
-- Have you reset the cpu heastsink?
You'll need some thermal interface material, like Arctic Silver 5, rubbing alcohol, and coffee filters to remove the old material and clean the cpu and the heatsink.

Will 60

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Yes I thoroughly cleaned the dust from the inside of the computer including the heat sinks. I will try reseting the cpu heatsink
thanx for the info

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Just a while ago someone had the same issue as you are. He found out that the CPU fan is not running. After he replaced it, the PC works fine again. Based on his experience, check the CPU fan first. If it's running okay, then you can narrow down the suspicion to the PSU.

While you're at it, enter BIOS and keep an eye on the hardware temperature. Random shut down is usually connected to overheating issue.

Personally, I'd suspect the PSU. But an organized standard troubleshooting procedure won't hurt.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I just had this problem.

With a cosair PSU too :O *everyone has bag eggs*

Just trade the PSU for a new one and it should work like new...

If you got your PSU for newegg the RMA process is very easy....

*IF you have to get a new PSU and by new I mean not the same one.. ask us first we will make sure it will run your computer*

Will 60

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Thanx for all the input..I am going to replace the Power Supply as soon as I get a chance.

Funny.... the computer is a Compaq but the PS say's Dell :)

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Odd... dell does not make PSUs..

Heck the only thing I have seen them do right in the last 10 years is that tablet they made recently. the one that flipped to switch from laptop to tablet mode.

winstonterr

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
H
I have a Dell studio 17 laptop. It has been acting up recently and i cannot get it to shut down properly. I click the shut down button and right when it shuts down it automatically restarts afterward. Can someone help me please?

TriniRandy86

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
guys i know the PSU is the problem, but on a couple of occasions when i helped friends out it was the RAM that was slack, but more often than not it was the PSU

Will 60

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

Yea...I didn't think they did either??
Sticker on bottom of PS the sticker say's DELL and underneath the DELL logo the model is HP-P2507FW??

Made in China... So it's DELL, Hewlett Packard, COMPAQ, Made in CHINA :)

V
I bought this new so the PS has never been swapped out....

Will 60

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Shutdown Problem (Solved)
First of all,,Thanx for the suggestios. It was the PS indeed!! I put a new one in and the computer does not shutdown anymore.
I ordered a Bestec 250W from a company online for $34.00, they sent me a replacement PS for the Bestec which they claim is an upgrade but it has no name on it and say's output is 165W ...Max 275 but I guess it's ok ..seems to be working altho i may return it for a better one.
Thanx again for the input.

William

Status
Not open for further replies.