Fresh Win7 System, dxgmms1.sys BSOD?

deepruntramp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I just finished my new build last night. I had to turn off FDD in my BIOS to get Win7 to take less than a decade to start an install, but after that, things seemed peachy.

Quick system hardware rundown:

+CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965

+GPU: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5870 1GB

■mobo&os: gigabyte 890xa + Win7 Home Premium 64-bit

■case&psu: lancool pc-k62 & xfx 750w

■ram: g.skill eco 4gb (says it's designed for Intel, but it was recommended to me by a member here so I figured it was just some bullshit advertisement tie-in. If I'm wrong, let me know and please call me an idiot).

■hdd: samsung spinpoint f3 1tb

■odd: a sony optirac

I did all the Win7 updates (including hardware) I could find, installed the newest drivers from the ATI website (10.7), then went to Gigabyte's site and grabbed whatever drivers were there for my mobo and installed those. Business as usual for a fresh install.

I check CCC for settings and note that it's just reporting an "HD 5800 series," nothing specific, nothing about Sapphire being the manufacturer (just "Powered by ATI"). Whatever. Haven't used an ATI in awhile, maybe that's how they do things.

----

I installed Starcraft 2 and played a couple skirmish games, ultra settings, looked great, ran great, no problems. Played about an hour, shut down, went to bed.

Today I get back on SC2 and start the campaign. Play for about an hour... and in the middle of the second mission, I get a BSOD. It's referencing dxmm1.sys (may have gotten the filename wrong). Of course I freak out.

So I dig around on the internet, and as usual for any BSOD, it could be anything. Most likely suspect are video drivers, Murphy's Law suspect is mobo. Oh, temperatures were in normal range as far as I could tell.

----

I come here to throw my info out in the hopes this BSOD can be nailed down before I go much further in setting up this system. Before I do, I check DXDIAG for a report to post.

Under my video tab, it's reporting approx total memory = 2805MB. This is on a 1GB card.

I check CCC again, looking at the overdrive tab. It says my current GPU clock is 157MHz and the Memory Clock is 300MHz. That doesn't sound right... but Starcraft 2 was as smooth as butter on ultra? CCC is correctly reporting 1GB of RAM, though...

I check the BIOS for any weird voltages (most of it is auto-set). My RAM requires 1.35v, it's defaulted to 1.5v, if I'm reading it correctly. Would this cause a problem?

----

Things I have yet to try: Updating BIOS, Memtest86+ and/or any other kind of stress test, going over drivers with a fine toothed comb (just a regular one so far).

Anyway. I hope someone can offer some insight. And if this is the wrong forum, I apologize and hope you'll move it to the right place.

I'll go ahead and attach my DXDIAG report and the minidump.

EDIT: Well, if I could figure out how.

deepruntramp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Update:

*Started a memtest86+ after I originally posted. Just returned to find it clean.

*Grabbed WhoCrashed to read the dump, it returned the following:

On Wed 7/28/2010 7:55:27 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88004DC5CEE, 0xFFFFF88003B216A8, 0xFFFFF88003B20F10)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072810-20451-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Holding off on the mobo BIOS for now.

rockafella

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I have the same CPU and GPU except in an ASUS motherboard, and I get these same errors on the final level of Crysis. Seems very random, and I had no problems on all levels prior. I thought it was something taxing about the final level in combination with the custom configs I installed to increase the graphic quality, but it seems a lot of people get these BSOD crashes. I am thinking there is a bug in DirectX 11 itself.