Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrade question (cpu vs gpu?)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 1, 2010 2:54:48 AM

Bonjour! I hope your day has been well. If I may, I was hoping to ask for some help on an upgrade dilemma I'm facing. (I hope this is in the right section? )

Current System:
Athlon II X4 620 (2.6GHz)
Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
8GB G-Skill 1333 DDR3
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
Caviar Black 750GB 7200rpm
OCZ 700w PSU

EDIT: 1080p monitor (cpu and gpu utilization listed below was with beta played in 720p window mode. Later ran it at 1080 fullscreen, but couldn't get utilization numbers)

The problem:
My gaming performance has been a bit lacking lately, though not bad by any means. I took part in the ff14 open beta and I noticed my cpu in the 70-90% utilization range even when I was staring at the walls of a cave, far from anyone. At the same time, GPU-Z was showing my video card running 70-100% running through a field, and more in the 60%'s in town.

I didn't record any of these values, but I did note them while playing, so my values may be a touch off. Gameplay was fairly smooth, though it often had micro-stutters and the system would freeze for 2-6 seconds when trying to craft items. While I may never play FF14, I'm just a bit confused as I've tried to research this these past few weeks, but I keep finding conflicting evidence and opinions.

Is the bottleneck here the CPU, GPU, or something else?

My guess is that it's the processor, but I'm likely just making an educated guess here.

Thank you for any thoughts you have to offer.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 3:04:50 AM

Its your processor, but only ever so slightly, its a pretty balanced setup actually. (except the RAM, unless you have special needs, 4GB is plenty.) Try OC it to 3.2Ghz.
October 1, 2010 3:30:53 AM

Timop said:
Its your processor, but only ever so slightly, its a pretty balanced setup actually. (except the RAM, unless you have special needs, 4GB is plenty.) Try OC it to 3.2Ghz.

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply. The 8GB of ram was/is for a college class (a fair number of VMs and programming). I did try to OC my processor a while back, but I didn't have much time to experiment with it, and I'm rather new to it. I've overclocked my video card, more to see how it could perform, but it runs hot enough as it is. I typically keep it underclocked for the heat.

So, I suppose the situation is that if I want more performance, I should upgrade -both- the cpu and gpu then? Sadly my budget at the time prevented me from getting a mobo for crossfire, else I would consider that.

edit: I'll try the OC again, but failing that, which should I upgrade?

Thanks,
VM-Sat

EDIT 2: I phrased that last edit poorly. Anywho, Thanks for the help Timop!
/thread
Score
Related resources
October 1, 2010 8:41:59 PM

Best answer selected by VM-Sat.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 8:50:37 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!