Two network connections on one PC

G

Dear All

I have two network connections wifi and hard wired how do i direct which service uses which connection?

Many Thanks

G

I use two different connections by wireless and just use the wireless adapter interface to select the connection as needs arise.

I also occasionally use wired connection on that computer and just plug in a cable and switch connections within Windows.

You were probably looking for something cleverer -- but it works for me.

G

If you have the wifi and the utp connected at the same time how do you associate a service with a connection

G

Only one wifi connection on my system is internet -- other is to a second computer.
Wired is an occasional link to a third computer.

In short, you can’t.

Windows always controls which network connection is used. If you have multiple network connections (both active) to the same network (e.g., 192.168.1.x), then Windows will ALWAYS use the first one listed under Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings->Adapters and Bindings->Connections. The other network connection goes UNUSED. Of course, you can reorder them if you like.

The only way to make Windows use both network connections is indirectly, by placing each on DIFFERENT networks (e.g., 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). If certain resources are only available on one or the other, then obviously Windows MUST choose the appropriate network connection.

That’s the way it works. You can never DIRECTLY control which network connection is used on a per application/service basis. But there is a workaround.

If you install something like VirtualBox, you can create a guest VM on the host. Now use the first network connection listed in Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings->Adapters and Bindings->Connections for the host, and pass the other network connection to the guest VM for virtualization. Whalla, each environment is using different network connections. And now you segregate/limit your activities by the choice of host or guest VM (i.e., INDIRECTLY).

Of course, you could accomplish the same thing w/ a separate PHYSICAL machine. But the use of a VM makes it more practical. And w/ VirtualBox’s seamless mode, you can do a decent job of producing a seamless transition between the environments.

Not a perfect solution by any means, but it’s the ONLY way to control multiple network connections to the same network. Windows simply doesn’t provide a means to make associations on a per application/service basis.

G

cool answer

Thanks for that , I didnt think it was possibile....shame For for someone who works on many different networks with a variety of applications it would be nice if MS gave us this in the future

I live in hope

thanks again

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
MS prob won't add something like that because:

a) Even using multiple applications and different networks, it doesn't really buy you a whole lot, and if you NEEDED say "load balancing" between various internet connections you can accomplish this at the gateway, where you can help all the machines behind the router, not just one.

b) It's rare that you "really" saturate the local network... it can be done, but in generally not too likely.

c) There are already options for increasing local subnet bandwidth, ie.. Gig Ethernet, 10gig ethernet, and if that's not enough you can buy adapters that support NIC Teaming which allows you to bind multiple network ports into a single connection.

In short, no other os has this kinda thing built in (that I know of), mainly cause it really isn't needed and doesn't make much sense in 99% of the situations, and there are already a lot better solutions to solving bandwidth problems.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I think you can sorta choose what you want to use on certain program like games. If you type -ip(you ip address of the card you want to use) in the shortcut targets path
but this will not be very affective if you have a dynamic ip address that changes all of the time

blackndblue

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have one wired connection and one wireless connection to a router. each has its own ip address (192.168.0.199 , 192.168.0.198) taking from what you said i would like to have this game connect to a server via the wireless NIC, mac, which should appear to be a separate system on the server side. I want to do this with the -ip command.

This is my batch file i use to launch the application.

ECHO OFF
CLS

ECHO.
ECHO Enjoy your Adventures
ECHO.

start G:\Aion\bin32\aion.bin -ip:188.165.15.22 - (this is the ip used to login, authenticate, etc. if i can run two applications but with different mac's, or launch the applications via seperate NIC's, i will be able to login to two seperate accounts)
so how is this supposed to look?

example: "start G:\Aion\bin32\aion.bin -ip:192.168.0.198 188.165.15.22"
:: how do i use the ip command to use the wireless nic (192.168.0.198) and have it connect to the authentication ip (188.165.15.22)

port:2106 -lang:eng
echo
echo Starting InfiniteAion Client
echo
GOTO end

:end
ping localhost -n 1 > nul
EXIT

desn

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012