Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard and memory advice please

Last response: in Motherboards
May 21, 2011 6:28:30 AM

hey i am new to these forums ...

i am building a system (hopefully today) and need some info on the motherboard (MSI P67A-C43), i havent been able to find any benchmarks for it though it caters to all my needs (single PCIx16 slot - i dont wanna do SLI etc), so if it has the same benchmarks as the (MSI P67A-GD65) then i really want to save the extra bucks on it. Otherwise i will go for the GD65 and in that case, is ASUS P8P67 Pro a better option? Advise please.

Secondly. I am confused as to which memory to go for. the processor (core i5 2500K) supports 1333 max, so is there any advantage in going for 1600bus or greater memory. i have access only to corsair memory, that means i have to choose between (value select 1333), (XMS3 1333), (vengeance 1600 or greater), (dominator 1600 or greater).

thirdly (and i might put it in here aswell). is COOLER MASTER a good enough brand for PSU's? i have access to ANTEC and ASUS PSU's aswell but COOLER MASTER is the cheapest 600W around. Advise on this aswell please.
May 21, 2011 7:31:45 AM

For someone that is not interested in SLI or CrossFire, you focus on a motherboard benchmarsk. Thats odd. Anyway, I have the Asus model you mention and is really good, but if you only need one PCIe slot then you might be better off with tha Asus P8P67 LE.

As for the ram, the corsair xms3 can be overclocked to 1600Mhz and any faster ram you wont notice the performance. In fact it wont benefit unless you are doing something extreme with your pc other than gaming.

Again, dont worry to much about the benchmarks, thats good reference for a deathmatch comparison, but in the end and in your eyes most systems will look the same. The only exeption is GPU cuz you can notice it on games.

But thats just my opinion, Im pretty sure that someone out there will proof me wrong. And dont go for the Z68 unless you know for sure you are going to take advantages of its new features.
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 21, 2011 3:39:10 PM

The P8P67 Pro is a multi GFX slot board so it doesn't fit your criteria. Personally, I wouldn't get a single slot board as adding a GFX card is a great way to extend system life . The P8P67 Pro w/ the 2500k bundle is a great buy at $390 which may ease the budget concern.

Quote:
Secondly. I am confused as to which memory to go for. the processor (core i5 2500K) supports 1333 max, so is there any advantage in going for 1600bus or greater memory.

That's incorrect.

The P8P67 pro supports DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066

Here's your RAM - CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

$75 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair CAS 9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The statement that faster RAM doesn't help you is only partially correct. If your GFX card is the bottleneck, as it will be on most budget systems, then faster RAM in fact won't help you. But in programs like Adobe stuff, CAD, 3D Rendering, video editing, big spreadsheets / databases it pays for itself many times over. As for gaming, well that's easily checked with benchmarks. I'm less impressed with boosts in average frame rates than I am w/ minimum frame rates and lookie here what lowering CAS 2 notches or increasing speed can do:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/12

Reducing CAS Latency

22.3 % (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ C6 instead of C8 in Far Cry 2
18% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ C6 instead of C8 in Dawn of War
15% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ C6 instead of C8 in World in Conflict

Increasing DDR speed

7% (SLI) increase in average frame rates w/ DDR-2000 instead of DDR-1600 in Dawn of War
8% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ DDR-2000 instead of DDR-1600 in Dawn of War

Id say no on the Coolermaster. As for the Antec's they sell a variety of lines geared to different demographics. The EA-650 or TP New are good ones. SG and CP are the great ones. I'd stay away from the Basiq and Neo lines.
m
l
May 22, 2011 9:15:35 AM

Quote:
The statement that faster RAM doesn't help you is only partially correct. If your GFX card is the bottleneck, as it will be on most budget systems, then faster RAM in fact won't help you. But in programs like Adobe stuff, CAD, 3D Rendering, video editing, big spreadsheets / databases it pays for itself many times over. As for gaming, well that's easily checked with benchmarks. I'm less impressed with boosts in average frame rates than I am w/ minimum frame rates and lookie here what lowering CAS 2 notches or increasing speed can do:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/12

Reducing CAS Latency

22.3 % (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ C6 instead of C8 in Far Cry 2
18% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ C6 instead of C8 in Dawn of War
15% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ C6 instead of C8 in World in Conflict

Increasing DDR speed

7% (SLI) increase in average frame rates w/ DDR-2000 instead of DDR-1600 in Dawn of War
8% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ DDR-2000 instead of DDR-1600 in Dawn of War

Yes, I agree with this %100. This varies depending on the game being played. The article made the point that theres a difference somewhere. For people that use their system to benchmark and post the results on facebook, I guess this is valuable information.

But real life feedback, after 60 fps all games look exelent. I would be more concern in the average fps and the minimum. All benchmarks showed an average difference of 3 fps in the average and minimum fps. In my opinion this doesnt justify getting one over the other. Whats impressive is the big jump in fps when SLI. I also noted that in SLI the difference in fps from average to minimum is also big compared to a single card. In single card they dont drop as much.

The OP stated that is not interested in multi card set up so the best is to get a reasonable board and the rest on a good single GPU.

m
l
!