LaCie 2big Network 2 issue

spotter300

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Hey,

I have a LaCie 2big Network 2 that I'd like to use with 2x1TB WD Green Drives (1x WD10EZRX & 1x WD010EADS). I put them in, the LED's go blue indicating that the drives have been recognised but LaCie Network Assistant can't see anything. Is this because the WD Green drives aren't comptable? I asked LaCie but they are being singularly unhelpful and wont tell me anything other than buy drives from us and they'll work.

Does anyone have any idea about drive compatibility? I've stumped up some info that suggests that the firmware on green drives won't work with RAID. It seems that the new WD Red ones will but I don't really want to have to shell out £140 for new drives when I've got 2 perfectly good ones already.

The other thing is that the NAS its self might be faulty or my router is getting in the way of network assistant, can anyone tell me if I should be able to see it if there are incompatible drives installed or even no drives in it? If I should be able too then I'll look into my router settings and see its causing the issues.

Cheers

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
From what I remember... Lacie store the OS on the storage drives (hidden partition), you can only replace/upgrade the drives if you replace one drive at a time and let it re-build; then (if that works) use the management software to delete and re-create the storage partition to get the full space (if you see what I mean).

LaCieTech

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Hi,

The 2Big Network 2 does require that the OS be copied from one disk to another during build. So if you have your original disks you can add one and one of your new drives and let it build, then copy the 2nd new disk in; with this model that is the only way to replace disks.

I apologize for the seemingly curt stance on which HDDs to use. I'm sure what the person you were speaking with meant to say was that since the OS is stored on the disks they need to come from us OR be copied over during a build (like I described above) Secondly, we don't test with every drive available so our compatibility stance on WD drives is "we didn't test it so we can't guarantee it will work".

The network assistance will only detect the drive if the unit is properly booted up, so it makes sense that you cannot see it with the WD drives in it.

If you have more questions, please give us a call or send us a ticket at www.lacie.com/mystuff

~michael, LaCie

spotter300

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Thanks for the response Michael, what happens if you don't have an original drive to copy off? There must be some contingency in case both drives die?

LaCieTech

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Hi,

If they die within warranty we will replace them but we don't have a warranty plan for cases where the drives are given away or thrown away. If this is a situation where both of the drives have ceased functioning then we can arrange to replace them with disks that already have the OS. If you no longer have access to the original drives there isn't a lot I can recommend other than trying to get one (back) or buying one from us to get the OS from.

~michael, LaCie