Sign in with
Your question

Pairing an ATI 5770 card w/ DX9 Geforce card (Win7)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2010 11:43:08 AM

I was told Windows 7 allows you to use two different chipset cards (ATI and NVIDIA) together since they can have independently, functioning drivers but I wanted clarification if anyone has done this. I want to keep the 5770 as my primary gaming card however, I'd like to add a cheap geforce card (probably DX9) to my spare pci-e slot... yes, I know I will not be able to SLI or crossfire. That is not the plan... I just want the second card for displaying applications on two more monitors. Is this possible? If so, any effect on the build being that the 5770 will be using dx11 installed?
a c 130 U Graphics card
June 21, 2010 3:27:13 PM

That's completely possible. However, you should buy an ATI card if your intention is to drive two more monitors. This is mainly because you will not have any driver issues. An HD5450 is actually capable of driving three monitors (as is your HD5770).
m
l
June 22, 2010 2:51:09 PM

think you cant get the nvidia card to work because the nvidia guys programmed their cards to stop working if a non-nvidia card is present

"Windows 7 allows two display drivers to be used at once - like in Windows XP. Therefore, it is possible to use an Nvidia card for PhysX and ATI card for graphics rendering. Sadly, since the release of 186 graphics drivers, Nvidia has decided to block this feature anytime a Non-Nvidia GPU is present in the system (Even IGPs)."

http://www.ngohq.com/news/16560-patch-re-enables-physx-...
m
l
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 3:07:11 PM

There are hacked drivers to get around this..
m
l
June 22, 2010 5:03:06 PM

I know, the article says so and i've heard that it worked
you can do that at your own risk but you never know when nvidia decides to block the hack
also i think there might be a performance loss in hacked drivers, after all, they hack...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 5:07:05 PM

The need to hack any driver is only for PhysX support. For normal gpu use, Windows 7 allows , 2 different brand/drivers to coexist. You just have to handle what is your main monitor through normal control panel.
m
l
!