Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD: OCZ Agility 4 or Vertex 4 (512GB). Which one is more reliable.

Last response: in Storage
October 13, 2012 2:34:39 PM

I am looking to upgrade my system to use one of OCZ 4th generation SSDs.

The choice is between 512Gb versions of Agility and Vertex.

The Vertex is only $50 more expensive which would be just ~$15 more a year, as I am planning to keep a new drive for 3 years.

Which of these two models is more reliable, in other words, which one is less likely to die within a first 2-3 years of use.

Cheers.
a b G Storage
October 13, 2012 2:39:11 PM

If you need reliability, either do not get a SSD at all, or make sure it's frequently backing up to a HDD.
m
l
October 13, 2012 2:42:32 PM

The reviews at newegg typically say the vertex is more reliable. The crucial M4 is my favorite.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2012 2:45:33 PM

Thank you Azathoth. I do regularly backup as I am using raid0 now, which has failed and had to to be restored from backup twice in a last five years. Hence my concerns about reliability. I know Vertex 4 is a touch faster, but I would rather choice a more reliable one , but unfortunately, this information is not advertised.
m
l
October 14, 2012 5:28:49 AM

flexxar said:
The reviews at newegg typically say the vertex is more reliable. The crucial M4 is my favorite.

I checked the newegg and vertex reviews are no better than agility. so far as I know previous generation of vertex had real big issues because of sandforce controller.
I would have though that the vertex is less reliable because it faster, but there are no evidence of that on the web ... yet ... :hello: 

m
l
October 14, 2012 5:33:09 AM

Understand that the agility and the vertex probably use different forms of memory the vertex is more geared towards gaming as its there high end product and the agility is there entry level product.
m
l
October 14, 2012 6:00:24 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Understand that the agility and the vertex probably use different forms of memory the vertex is more geared towards gaming as its there high end product and the agility is there entry level product.

bigshootr8 said:
use different forms of memory

this is the thing - that fact that they use "different forms of memory" does no tell me much about their respective reliability. from my past HDD experiences, which I believe has nothing to do with how it works in SSD, the most problems were either caused by 1) high temperature (drives been running 365x24) during summer time or by 2) HDD mechanics pushed to the limit to get the max performance (10K and 15K RPM). Neither of these is applicable to SSD.
This is why I can't make a judgement - which drive is more reliable...

m
l
October 14, 2012 6:12:09 AM

Anyone have a vertex 4 that can say? I have a samsung 830 256gb shrugs.
m
l
October 14, 2012 6:22:51 AM

i wouldnt buy any ocz drive if you want reliability, you want that get a samsung, intel or crucial. reliability is way more important than a little extra speed. ssd's are already quick
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 14, 2012 6:53:30 AM

jasont78 said:
i wouldnt buy any ocz drive if you want reliability, you want that get a samsung, intel or crucial. reliability is way more important than a little extra speed. ssd's are already quick

Honestly, I agree with this. I have a samsung ssd 830 256gb and it hasn't given me a single problem. Intel would be the other rock solid option I would go for. Crucial is also very reliable, just a touch less than the other two, but the m4 is an awesome ssd regardless. If you are set on either the 512gb agility or vertex, then I would go with the vertex.

Also there's 2 512gb vertex 4's listen on newegg and one of them is 5 stars after 7 reviews, the other 3 stars after 17 reviews. The former seems to be slower in 4k random write speed, but under its "notes", it still shows max IOPS is also 120k. Oh, and its a lot cheaper ($399.99 former as of this writing vs $464.99 latter and $359.99 agility after rebate). Also, the former vertex 4 has a slightly higher item# in NewEgg which leads me to believe its the newer model.
a c 108 G Storage
October 14, 2012 7:07:20 AM

^ I also agree with the Samsung 830/840 or Crucial M4 for reliability. Samsung SSDs are used in OEMs such as Dell. As such they have beeen tested as much or more than any drives on the market. When I finally get around to getting a larger SSD it will be a Samsung.
m
l
October 14, 2012 7:12:55 AM

Those seem to be the professional choice :) 
m
l
October 14, 2012 7:40:15 AM

Best answer selected by TerryTw.
m
l
!