SSD: OCZ Agility 4 or Vertex 4 (512GB). Which one is more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryTw

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I am looking to upgrade my system to use one of OCZ 4th generation SSDs.

The choice is between 512Gb versions of Agility and Vertex.

The Vertex is only $50 more expensive which would be just ~$15 more a year, as I am planning to keep a new drive for 3 years.

Which of these two models is more reliable, in other words, which one is less likely to die within a first 2-3 years of use.

Cheers.

Solution

Honestly, I agree with this. I have a samsung ssd 830 256gb and it hasn't given me a single problem. Intel would be the other rock solid option I would go for. Crucial is also very reliable, just a touch less than the other two, but the m4 is an awesome ssd regardless. If you are set on either the 512gb agility or vertex, then I would go with the vertex.

Also there's 2 512gb vertex 4's listen on newegg and one of them is 5 stars after 7 reviews, the other 3 stars after 17 reviews. The former seems to be slower in 4k random write speed, but under...

TerryTw

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Thank you Azathoth. I do regularly backup as I am using raid0 now, which has failed and had to to be restored from backup twice in a last five years. Hence my concerns about reliability. I know Vertex 4 is a touch faster, but I would rather choice a more reliable one , but unfortunately, this information is not advertised.

TerryTw

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

I checked the newegg and vertex reviews are no better than agility. so far as I know previous generation of vertex had real big issues because of sandforce controller.
I would have though that the vertex is less reliable because it faster, but there are no evidence of that on the web ... yet ... :hello:

TerryTw

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

this is the thing - that fact that they use "different forms of memory" does no tell me much about their respective reliability. from my past HDD experiences, which I believe has nothing to do with how it works in SSD, the most problems were either caused by 1) high temperature (drives been running 365x24) during summer time or by 2) HDD mechanics pushed to the limit to get the max performance (10K and 15K RPM). Neither of these is applicable to SSD.
This is why I can't make a judgement - which drive is more reliable...

fudoka711

Distinguished

Honestly, I agree with this. I have a samsung ssd 830 256gb and it hasn't given me a single problem. Intel would be the other rock solid option I would go for. Crucial is also very reliable, just a touch less than the other two, but the m4 is an awesome ssd regardless. If you are set on either the 512gb agility or vertex, then I would go with the vertex.

Also there's 2 512gb vertex 4's listen on newegg and one of them is 5 stars after 7 reviews, the other 3 stars after 17 reviews. The former seems to be slower in 4k random write speed, but under its "notes", it still shows max IOPS is also 120k. Oh, and its a lot cheaper ($399.99 former as of this writing vs $464.99 latter and $359.99 agility after rebate). Also, the former vertex 4 has a slightly higher item# in NewEgg which leads me to believe its the newer model.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

^ I also agree with the Samsung 830/840 or Crucial M4 for reliability. Samsung SSDs are used in OEMs such as Dell. As such they have beeen tested as much or more than any drives on the market. When I finally get around to getting a larger SSD it will be a Samsung.

Probacker43

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Personally, as I do gaming machines and servers alike for clients, if you don't have A MINIMUM of 5 high end HDDs (or WD Black, or RE4) so you can choose to run them all in raid 10 (Stripped both 0 for speed AND 1 for mirror), I go with Intel 520s for the price. Excellent speed, and always top reliability. The 730 is higher, but is also double the price.... Do for double the price you can buy 2 520s and raid them 1 or 5 for absolutely top reliability that a 730 can't even beat. The new Samsung Pro line is far & away the best of them all, but at about 2.5x the price as well.

D

Deleted member 217926

Please don't post in threads that are 4 years old. I'm sure this problem has been resolved by now one way or the other. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.