Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What are the symptoms of a faulty/failing/dying/bad video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2010 12:31:29 PM

I've done extensive amounts of googling on this, and I've never really come up with a definitive result.
So, I turn to the experts here at tomshardware!

Note that I'm just asking out of curiosity, and that I'm not actually experiencing hardware failure.

And is there any difference between buying a card that is faulty new, and having a gpu die over time?
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2010 12:41:40 PM

artifacts, freezing/crashing/stability issues, no video/card not recognized (dead)
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 21, 2010 1:15:57 PM

+1^
And about your last question,well you may buy a card which has problems from the first,or you may buy a card and after some time,you may experience problems with it.

BTW,glad to see you back in forums again Paul :) 
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2010 1:51:01 PM

Maziar said:
+1^
And about your last question,well you may buy a card which has problems from the first,or you may buy a card and after some time,you may experience problems with it.

Thanks for the answer :) , but that's not quite what I meant
What I meant was - will a card that is faulty out of the box, experience different symptoms of being faulty than a card that is dynig after years of use?
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 21, 2010 4:06:03 PM

It may and it may not.
For example,imagine that you buy a card which is faulty(and the problem is BSOD),and imagine another card that has worked fine first but becomes faulty(it can become faulty with a BSOD,artifcats,constant crashes etc)so you can't say that they both will have the same problem,it can differ.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 12:22:57 PM

Maziar said:
+1^

Thanks, I miss the graphics forums. It's rare, but I still try to browse a bit when possible. Glad to see you keep up the SLI/Crossfire FAQ.

m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 12:42:10 PM

Maziar said:
It may and it may not.

Yeah exactly, it varies from card to card. I've seen all the same symptoms (artifacts, instability, totally dead) from brand new cards as ones that die out over time.

Of course, it's best (if possible) to try the card in multiple systems before declaring it's bad. A large number of returns are user error, system incompatibility, or system related, and the card can operate just fine in another rig. Occasionally a new card may not seat properly in one rig, but works fine in another. It may work when the mobo is out of a case, but not when mounted in a case (seating, pressure, twisting, grounding)..... Many people are too quick to judge a component is dead. If it's a bad card, the problems(s) should follow the card from rig to rig.

To prolong card life, keep tabs on temperatures, a watcheful eye for artifacts (esp. when OC'in), and don't allow dust to build up on it.

July 5, 2010 2:36:30 AM

Best answer selected by spongeguar.
m
l
October 14, 2013 6:36:34 PM

Does this also count as a symotom?

FPS drops below 20 after gaming for a while and never gets back up until I restart the game.
m
l
December 13, 2013 9:36:43 AM

^ same question, I get some issues like that
m
l
June 2, 2014 3:51:11 PM

intel 4004 said:
Does this also count as a symotom?

FPS drops below 20 after gaming for a while and never gets back up until I restart the game.

That's an obvious overheating problem I believe(in case you are still wondering)
m
l
June 26, 2014 4:37:03 PM

My pc has to play games on a much lower setting then it used to, when i first started playing games for example left 4 dead 2, i could play everything on high easily, now everything on low all anti-aliasing off just to get stable play. My pc randomly freezes when doing general things, it can freeze for up to 10 seconds before it releases. One moment it will be doing something fine the next it slows , Not sure if this is GPU related,
m
l
9 minutes ago

ok i had some problem with my system not sure what is the cause.. my comp can start up smoothly till the desktop with no problems but when i started watch youtube videos it started to freeze and turn black screen and return to the screen before, not only that when i am playing game it also freeze and turn black and return again and this happened every few mins, sometimes less den a min. I am using a CX750M for my system with single R9 280x, my power supply should be more den enough to support this card. Sometimes when i am in game it will freeze and when freezing for too long BSOD will be my next screen and reboot after tat. Pls advice on what should i do for this problem it's a newly build system.

Spec:
Asus Maximus HERO VII
I7 4770K
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz
Corsair H100i cpu cooler
Samsung Evo 250gb solid state drive
Sapphire R9 280x Tri-x
Corsair CX750M psu
Windows 7 home premium
m
l
!