Cant see SATA III disc

simonv123

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Hello

I've recently installed a SATA III disc in my desktop.
But I can't find it reported anywhere in the BIOS, only the SATA II disc seem to appear there.
Window can't see it either, not showing up in disk manager at all.

All previously installed discs are still reported correctly, but no SATA III drive.
I know the disc is working as during the boot procedure I get the following message after the BIOS screen goes and before the windows logo appears.

Marvell marvell 88se91xx adapter - BIOS version 0.0.0.1012.
disk information
port disk name size speed
S1 SATA: ST3000000001-1ch186 3Tb SATA III

Can anyone advise on getting this working?
Should I be seeing this in the BIOS?

Thanks

My configuration
Motherboard: ASUS P7H57D-EVO
BIOS: American Megatrends
BIOS rev: 1304
Windows 7 64bit.

Connected to SATA II ports :
Samsung HD103SJ - 1Tb.
2* Maxtor 6L300S0 - 300Gb.
USB Card reader
DVD recorder

Connected to SATA III ports:
Seagate Barracuda - 3Tb.

RealBeast

Titan
Attach it to an Intel SATA II port -- it will not negatively affect the performance and may solve the issue.

If doesn't fix the issue or if you just want to figure it out (like I would), update the motherboard bios and Marvell driver if there is a newer version for either, and insure after update that the Marvell controller is still enabled in the bios. Also take a look here, as it may be a 3Tb issue in an older bios, especially on the non-Intel controller: http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/disk_unlocker/

cptronic

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
HELLO YOU HAVE A BIOS ISSUE. ASUS HAS LEFT YOU WITH AN OLD BIOS. :fou:

Most legacy systems built before 2011 have a traditional PC BIOS. This type of BIOS uses a Master Boot Record (MBR). The MBR Partitions can define a disk drive capacity up to 2.2TB. Windows operating systems that boot from an MBR are therefore limited to 2.2TB per MBR. A 3TB disk drive in a legacy BIOS and Window system will need a DiscWizard device driver to access the full capacity of a 3TB disk drive. Two partitions will be necessary because of the MBR limitation. The device driver mounts the capacity above 2.2TB with another MBR which looks to the system as a second virtual “physical” device.

GUID Partition Tables (GPT) can define drives larger than 2.2TB. You can use GPT today on any Windows 7 and Vista system as a non-booting data drive. Windows can only boot a GPT partition on a new type of BIOS called UEFI.

UEFI BIOS desktop systems are new since 2011. Windows 7 64-bit and Vista 64-bit operating systems support booting from UEFI and GPT without the need of a non-Microsoft device driver. This is the Windows native solution for booting a 3TB drive to a single partition. :sol:

simonv123

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for the info.
Unfortunatley its really gone pear shaped now.
I updated the BIOS to ver 1606 and now I get the blue screen of death.
Have tried to revert to BIOS ver 1304 but it wont allow me - I get a message saying the BIOS is older than the board.
Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!

RealBeast

Titan
Try clearing the bios by using the jumper or disconnecting the bios battery and unplugging the machine. Also check all of your bios settings to insure that they are correct, often the new bios reverts to old settings like IDE sata mode that will cause a BSOD.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Boot up and report what the BSOD says. It may give you a hint as to the problem. Some are tough to remedy. Others are fairly easy.
Also check in the SATA configuration choice and see if it is set to IDE, AHCI, or RAID.