Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing ram in asus p8z68 motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
May 21, 2011 2:09:05 PM

Hello, has anyone had problems installing ram modules in asus p8z68 motherboard? the clips are only present one one side of the ram slots and the ram modules don't lock snugly into place. The motherboard gives ram error that doesn't resolve with the ok memory switch. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 21, 2011 2:46:56 PM

2 versions of the Asus p8z68, pro and non pro @ newegg. First, have you looked at the picture of the Motherboard (ie is it possible that they forgot to install) and have you read the installation procedure in the manual.

That said, I've had some that took more pressure, Than I was comfortable with, to get a good seat - even with locking pins at both ends. On new builds, I install memory while the MB is not in the case - have it on the kitchen table so that I Don't have to "sweat" the flex on the MB - mind you, that method does not help if replacing ram and MB is already in case. This is right after I install HSF, which I also do on the table.

Normally I do the complete build on the table, Just the bare bones, enough to be able to power on and go into bios to verify system health. Then I add in a dvd drive so that I can run Memtest 86 for a couple of hours.
Once I'm sure everything is working, I then install into case.
May 21, 2011 4:17:39 PM

thanks, i will take the motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO) out of the case and try to install the ram. i didn't realize that it took that much pressure to install the ram. btw, my father is retired Air Force E6.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 21, 2011 5:42:56 PM

I retired in 1983, 22 yrs. Fully retired 2004, well almost, got a call mid 2008 asking if I'd like to come back part time - so what the heck, enjoy the work.

Good luck on getting thar ram setted - Be carefull of ESD.
May 22, 2011 12:23:20 AM

RetiredChief said:
2 versions of the Asus p8z68, pro and non pro @ newegg. First, have you looked at the picture of the Motherboard (ie is it possible that they forgot to install) and have you read the installation procedure in the manual.

That said, I've had some that took more pressure, Than I was comfortable with, to get a good seat - even with locking pins at both ends. On new builds, I install memory while the MB is not in the case - have it on the kitchen table so that I Don't have to "sweat" the flex on the MB - mind you, that method does not help if replacing ram and MB is already in case. This is right after I install HSF, which I also do on the table.

Normally I do the complete build on the table, Just the bare bones, enough to be able to power on and go into bios to verify system health. Then I add in a dvd drive so that I can run Memtest 86 for a couple of hours.
Once I'm sure everything is working, I then install into case.

it worked!!!! you are the master (chief)
May 22, 2011 12:23:48 AM

Best answer selected by smont2000.
!