Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Failure to Post

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2010 1:20:34 AM

Having an issue with my newly purchased GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. When I tried to boot the computer for the first time, everything turned on for a few seconds then turned off. After about five seconds, everything turned back on and the process repeated itself. I thought the issue might be that there was a short somewhere, so I took everything out of the case except for the mobo, pcu, pcu cooler, and the psu. I retried getting the board to turn on and stay on with no luck. I then took the board out of the case, and set it on a cardboard box and tried again, but it still is turning on and off. Did I get a bad board or what? For reference I am using a i5-750, and a Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply.
July 29, 2010 7:17:42 AM

disseverment said:
Having an issue with my newly purchased GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. When I tried to boot the computer for the first time, everything turned on for a few seconds then turned off. After about five seconds, everything turned back on and the process repeated itself. I thought the issue might be that there was a short somewhere, so I took everything out of the case except for the mobo, pcu, pcu cooler, and the psu. I retried getting the board to turn on and stay on with no luck. I then took the board out of the case, and set it on a cardboard box and tried again, but it still is turning on and off. Did I get a bad board or what? For reference I am using a i5-750, and a Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply.

Assuming there are no diagnostic beeps coming out of the motherboard, for this issue, its either the motherboard or the power supply, highly unlikely its the processor since its power related. I don't know where exactly you got the power supply or where you live, but contact Best Buy or (my preference, lol use to work there) MicroCenter see if they will quickly hook up your power supply to a tester and see if all is well. Bring only the power supply though, they won't run free diagnostics for you by any means other than that. Microcenter will do post testing for you for either $10 or $20 fee, I don't remember. You can also purchase a power supply tester if you do multiple builds. Heres one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If its the power supply, they'll tell ya. If it isn't, its the motherboard, exchange it for another of the same model.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 29, 2010 7:43:44 AM

The only problem with the PSU testers is that they test the PSU under a very light load. But for home use, it's better than nothing.
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2010 9:00:34 AM

jsc said:
The only problem with the PSU testers is that they test the PSU under a very light load. But for home use, it's better than nothing.

Although your correct its light load, they do tell you more importantly though the voltages of all the plugs, in that sense its not useless. If your trying to figure out if your power supply is defective, its perfect. Computer repair techs use these all the time if they suspect a power supply defect. Now not getting enough power because you don't have enough watts for all your components is a whole separate issue, which in this case can't be the problem since he/she already tried the power supply with core components only.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 29, 2010 11:32:01 AM

Never said it was "useless". I just said that you need to be aware of the limitations. I own one, and it has on occasion been very handy.
m
l
July 29, 2010 4:02:21 PM

I had an almost identical problem with my GA-X58A-UD3R after a week or so of operating fine. Just RMA'd back to newegg, my super techy friend was pretty convinced it was the mobo and not the PSU, which is a corsair 750TX
m
l
July 29, 2010 8:23:27 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback. There are no beeps coming from the mother board, I'm not sure if this proves anything concerning the psu, but I did test it by jerry rigging it with a paperclip. It is able to run my case fans and cold cathodes fine, but as was mentioned in a previous post that is a very small load. I purchased all the parts from new egg. I live in tampa Fl, so microcenter is not an option. Should I call my local compusa or Best Buy to see if they provide those services?
m
l
July 29, 2010 9:24:31 PM

Hello make sure the mother board and cpu are well seated together. That means the cpu well locked in its socket with no bent pins and the heatseank latched on well with the proper thermal paste on the cpu. also make sure all conectors are properly conected on the motherboard and ram is well seated. and make sure video card is well seated. and motherboard is not grounding any where and sitting on its brass riser screw ins. Good luck. Also there should be a reset switch on the motherboard for the bios check your manual.
m
l
July 29, 2010 9:41:46 PM

Checked all of that a couple of times, didn't notice any issues. I have decided to to rma both the psu and mobo as I can't find where the problem is
m
l
July 29, 2010 11:20:49 PM

I contacted gigabyte and this is the response I got:

"Dear customer,
System not power on, or power on then shut off keep cycles, it may appear to be one of the components on board was defected or somewhere shorted. Please test mother board outside the case by follow procedure below:
1) Remove all components from board, just keep the 24 pin ATX and the other 8 or 4 pin 12v connector from power supply connected to mother board (connect both connectors). Take onboard cell battery out for 5 sec clear CMOS.
2) remove cpu from cpu socket, check if any bent or broken pin on cpu socket, reseat cpu, put in single stick memory on white color slot close to cpu (without video card, or other PCI device) power on system check if cpu fan runs,
3) If cpu fan turn on then off, that tells whether shorted mother board or bad power supply, suggest test with other power supply to confirm.
4) If cpu fan runs ok without shut off itself, put graphic card back in connect monitor, power on again system should post.
Note:
Mother board bios memory voltage setting is base on 1.5v (DDR3 default voltage), check current model memory voltage spec(check memory module label) if memory is higher than 1.5v type, go in bios under M/B intelligent tweaker, on memory voltage control item adjusts memory voltage match.
For example: current memory is 1.65v go in bios M/B intelligent tweaker on DDR3 voltage control item change to 1.65v.
Swap out other stick memory on same slot test again if system still not post, could be one of the memory was not stable.

Thank you."

m
l
!