johnthesmilers

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
hi all, now im using the h67 chipset and im plannting to upgrade to z68 because of the lucid virtu technology...
what i want to ask is does when i play video the discrete graphic card stop ? or is it keep working ? im asking it because of the power consumption,,i mean if the discrete graphic card off i can save my electricity bill ... am i right or wrong ?

Solution
You will probably not see any significant improvement in power consumption in a Z68 over the H67 if you are running your rig with discrete graphics. The benefit of Virtu is in video encoding.

The Z 68 is supposed to have better power managament (than H67/p67), but it requires a better board. If you expect to realize savings on electricity to meet your investment, expect a recovery period of about 20 years. The pennies you save per month won't return your investment any time soon.

If you want to overclock your rig then the Z68 provides the best current solution for Sandybridge processors. The Z68 platform also provides for disk caching to a SSD and Virtu for better video encoding. But as an investment to lower your electric bill...

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
You will probably not see any significant improvement in power consumption in a Z68 over the H67 if you are running your rig with discrete graphics. The benefit of Virtu is in video encoding.

The Z 68 is supposed to have better power managament (than H67/p67), but it requires a better board. If you expect to realize savings on electricity to meet your investment, expect a recovery period of about 20 years. The pennies you save per month won't return your investment any time soon.

If you want to overclock your rig then the Z68 provides the best current solution for Sandybridge processors. The Z68 platform also provides for disk caching to a SSD and Virtu for better video encoding. But as an investment to lower your electric bill it is a very baaad one.

Solution