add/remove programs oddity

In my 'add/remove programs' application within Control Panel there is a
large gap between the end of the "n's" and the beginning of the "p's"
entries. If you click on the blank area in-between it turns blue as if there
was a program entry but the details are invisible.
What is this?

Fred, check here
http://www.alegsa.com.ar/Visitas/i58/Programs%20missing.php

"Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In my 'add/remove programs' application within Control Panel there is a
> large gap between the end of the "n's" and the beginning of the "p's"
> entries. If you click on the blank area in-between it turns blue as if
> there was a program entry but the details are invisible.
> What is this?

MyUninstaller v1.32 - Alternative to the standard Add / Remove module on
Windows:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In my 'add/remove programs' application within Control Panel there is a
> large gap between the end of the "n's" and the beginning of the "p's"
> entries. If you click on the blank area in-between it turns blue as if
> there was a program entry but the details are invisible.
> What is this?

Many thanks but it was in Spanish and even tho' I clicked the English button
I still couldn't find any reference to my problema?!!!
I hope that's a Spanish word!!

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Fred, check here
> http://www.alegsa.com.ar/Visitas/i58/Programs%20missing.php
>
> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In my 'add/remove programs' application within Control Panel there is a
>> large gap between the end of the "n's" and the beginning of the "p's"
>> entries. If you click on the blank area in-between it turns blue as if
>> there was a program entry but the details are invisible.
>> What is this?

This is the message I get

The requested URL /Visitas/i58/Programs was not found on this server.

"Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In my 'add/remove programs' application within Control Panel there is a
> large gap between the end of the "n's" and the beginning of the "p's"
> entries. If you click on the blank area in-between it turns blue as if
> there was a program entry but the details are invisible.
> What is this?

Many thanks however I do not have any problems installing or uninstalling
programs.
So your solution doesn't address the question.
The problem is this huge blank between programs in the alphabetic n group
and the p group. I would like to know what is this blank, what does it
represent and should I just ignore it and put it down to another Windows XP2
idiosyncratic behaviour?

> MyUninstaller v1.32 - Alternative to the standard Add / Remove module on
> Windows:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In my 'add/remove programs' application within Control Panel there is a
>> large gap between the end of the "n's" and the beginning of the "p's"
>> entries. If you click on the blank area in-between it turns blue as if
>> there was a program entry but the details are invisible.
>> What is this?

This is a known issue. According to David Candy, this is caused by a
negative icon reference in the Uninstall key. Follow this thread for a
complete explanation:

http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=ew%23H3PyZEHA.1248%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Fred Pickering" <netmask56NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Many thanks however I do not have any problems installing or uninstalling
> programs.
> So your solution doesn't address the question.
> The problem is this huge blank between programs in the alphabetic n group
> and the p group. I would like to know what is this blank, what does it
> represent and should I just ignore it and put it down to another Windows
> XP2 idiosyncratic behaviour?

>> MyUninstaller v1.32 - Alternative to the standard Add / Remove module on
>> Windows:
>> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> In my 'add/remove programs' application within Control Panel there is a
>>> large gap between the end of the "n's" and the beginning of the "p's"
>>> entries. If you click on the blank area in-between it turns blue as if
>>> there was a program entry but the details are invisible.
>>> What is this?

And many of them here answered by Wesley Vogel, MS-MVP:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?&q=add%2Fremove+negative+uninstall

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> This is a known issue. According to David Candy, this is caused by a
> negative icon reference in the Uninstall key. Follow this thread for a
> complete explanation:
>
> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=ew%23H3PyZEHA.1248%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Many thanks however I do not have any problems installing or uninstalling
>> programs.
>> So your solution doesn't address the question.
>> The problem is this huge blank between programs in the alphabetic n group
>> and the p group. I would like to know what is this blank, what does it
>> represent and should I just ignore it and put it down to another Windows
>> XP2 idiosyncratic behaviour?
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> MyUninstaller v1.32 - Alternative to the standard Add / Remove module on
>>> Windows:
>>> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56@gmail.com> wrote in message

ha ha many thanks!
> And many of them here answered by Wesley Vogel, MS-MVP:
> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?&q=add%2Fremove+negative+uninstall
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

>> This is a known issue. According to David Candy, this is caused by a
>> negative icon reference in the Uninstall key. Follow this thread for a
>> complete explanation:
>>
>> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=ew%23H3PyZEHA.1248%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Many thanks however I do not have any problems installing or
>>> uninstalling programs.
>>> So your solution doesn't address the question.
>>> The problem is this huge blank between programs in the alphabetic n
>>> group and the p group. I would like to know what is this blank, what
>>> does it represent and should I just ignore it and put it down to another
>>> Windows XP2 idiosyncratic behaviour?
>>>
>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

Many thanks Ramesh - it was a plugin within Outpost - displayIcon was
set -1. Deleted - symbol, rebooted and problem went away.

> ha ha many thanks!
>> And many of them here answered by Wesley Vogel, MS-MVP:
>> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?&q=add%2Fremove+negative+uninstall
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> This is a known issue. According to David Candy, this is caused by a
>>> negative icon reference in the Uninstall key. Follow this thread for a
>>> complete explanation:
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=ew%23H3PyZEHA.1248%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the feedback Fred. A related tip, but you can use it to set the
icon for Outpost plugin, that you referred to:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/appicons.htm

--

> Many thanks Ramesh - it was a plugin within Outpost - displayIcon was
> set -1. Deleted - symbol, rebooted and problem went away.

> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> ha ha many thanks!
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> And many of them here answered by Wesley Vogel, MS-MVP:
>>> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?&q=add%2Fremove+negative+uninstall
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

"This happens if the DisplayIcon key in the registry is missing or it points to an incorrect file." from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/appicons.htm

It is an optional key and if absent (as it is on all old programs) then windows guesses the program by looking in Program Files for similar named folders to A/R display string (or name), then guesses the exe, then takes the first icon..

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:OiNMnQZSFHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the feedback Fred. A related tip, but you can use it to set the
> icon for Outpost plugin, that you referred to:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/appicons.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Many thanks Ramesh - it was a plugin within Outpost - displayIcon was
>> set -1. Deleted - symbol, rebooted and problem went away.

>> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> ha ha many thanks!
>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

David,
Thanks. As the guesswork may go wrong, I thought specifying the explicit
program.exe Path resolves it. For the other problem, I'm wondering how did
you pin-point the problem to be the negative icon reference. Well done..
Other day I was going through the appwiz.cpl's scripts and could not follow
it fully, as it was in .JS

Fred, Here is another interesting note:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/07/09/178342.aspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
"This happens if the DisplayIcon key in the registry is missing or it points
to an incorrect file." from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/appicons.htm

It is an optional key and if absent (as it is on all old programs) then
windows guesses the program by looking in Program Files for similar named
folders to A/R display string (or name), then guesses the exe, then takes
the first icon..

> Thanks for the feedback Fred. A related tip, but you can use it to set the
> icon for Outpost plugin, that you referred to:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/appicons.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Many thanks Ramesh - it was a plugin within Outpost - displayIcon was
>> set -1. Deleted - symbol, rebooted and problem went away.

>> "Fred Pickering" <netmask56NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> ha ha many thanks!
>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

It was Kelly, with a small amount of help from me, that found it.