Sign in with
Your question

Pleae help me find bang for buck with upgrade potential

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2010 1:54:20 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this/next week

BUDGET RANGE: 800 not including parts not required

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, watching videos on connected TV

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: case and psu: antec 300 illusion + antec ea 750W

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: usa

PARTS PREFERENCES: amd sounds like the way to go

OVERCLOCKING: not at the outset, maybe later

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: i think i would like crossfire for an upgrade path

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024 currently, 1080p in a few months hopefully

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

(1) I've read that the 440 Rana would not bottleneck 5850s in crossfire, is there a point to getting a more powerful processor for primarily a gaming rig if this is indeed so?

(2) Please help me choose a good motherboard for a later crossfire upgrade path. the ASRock seems like a good deal but comments on many ASRock boards makes it seem like they are DOA half the time, I'd rather pay a little more to avoid the DOA mobo experience.

(3) From what I've read trying to SLI with AMD is probably not a good idea, so I'm thinking I'd rather try and catch a deal on a 5850 than search for an AMD SLI mobo for potential pair of 460s, am I wrong on this?

Thanks a bunch!
July 29, 2010 4:47:26 AM

CPU - Well I woudnt suggest X3 440 if you will be crossfiring HD 5850s...
For HD 5770, am sure the 440 would keep up, but for 5850s, I am skeptical...
Even this would be fine - X4 945
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo - ASRock is IMO a good manufacturer...If you want the best bang for the buck, then that 870 is the one...
But if you dont want to take chances, then ASUS or Gigabyte...pretty much the same features but about ~$40 more...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

SLI and AMD dont go together(I mean in harmony)...So if you want SLI, then the only best option is i5 + P55
July 29, 2010 5:01:42 AM

^
^ Bottlenecking is relative, and an Athlon II X3 440 wouldn't perform badly, but an i7 920 could deliver much better rates.

Go with what gkay said. SLI is available on AMD platforms... but limited to three boards, the Asus M4N98TD Evo, MSI NF750-G55 & MSI NF980-G65.
!