July 29, 2010 1:59:06 AM

Hey guys,

Just got my new parts in today, I was so excited:

PSU- LINK

Mobo- LINK

CPU- AMD Phenom II 965BE

RAM- LINK

GPU- EVGA GTX460 1GB

Anyway, to get to the point, when I first booted the system up nothing came on the screen, and I could hear the DVD-rom drive repeatedly going through it's cycles, almost as if the system was going through an infinite loop.

After some... powercycles and removing the GPU (which I honestly think had nothing to do with it) I finally got the Bios screen.

After this I put in the Win7 install Disk and got about halfway in when... BSOD. So I went back in the BIOS to change the clockspeed of the ram from the default 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz (which I read elsewhere would help).

It did! I was able to fully get through the Win7 installation, no issues. I installed the GPU, no issues. I installed all the drivers, no issues.

Then, I decided to play with the O.C software that came with the board. Bad idea...

After I set the Auto-O.C to the 'Fast mode' I got constant BSODs. Until eventually, the system is stuck doing what it originally was, in that infinite bootup loop, or it does get to the ASUS Logo screen but it's frozen.

Any ideas guys? I'm tired, frustrated, and almost ready to throw the whole thing in a RMA tomorrow and start over.

Bad... bad... day.

More about : build problems

a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 2:15:58 AM

Have you tried removing the battery for ten minutes and resetting the CMOS? Your BIOS will be set at default and should be good to go.

On your RAM, I would make sure your voltage, timings (latency) and MHz are set in the BIOS to match what is on the actual sticks. This will help with your stability issues. Also, I would run Prime95 for 2 hours at least at stock to help verify stability before overclocking. I would recommend running MemTest86+ overnight to look for RAM errors.
m
l
July 29, 2010 2:39:32 AM

Thanks for that suggestion, it cleared up the looping-boot problem, but now it just stays frozen at the ASUS startup screen. I want to say its the RAM thats doing it because of all the BSOD, but honestly I'm not sure.

If I have to RMA the RAM I might as well RMA everything in case it's something else... I don't really know what to do here...
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 3:06:08 AM

Download MemTest86+, burn to CD and boot from the CD. Run for 7 passes to see if you have any errors. Just make sure to set the RAM to specific manufacturer specs first.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 3:31:52 AM

Double check the RAM clockspeed in the BIOS. Resetting the BIOS probably reverted back to 1333Mhz. Bumping it back to the stable 1600Mhz setting may help.
m
l
July 29, 2010 3:36:49 AM

First thing, take a break.

I know how exciting it is to get all the parts in. Everything it shiny and new, has that new part smell, and you can't wait to get going with the shiny new system.

Then you hit a wall. Your instinct it to just "RMA everything", start over.

Chill out, sleep on it, come back after a bit. It will do wonders. You are almost there. No need to rush. It will be worth it.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 11:35:02 AM

Make sure that you have a stable system before you start overclocking. And learn to use the BIOS when you overclock. Avoid the Windows based utilities.
m
l
!