Pre-built vs Home-Built Challenge

DJA007

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I have a very interesting question that I could really use some insight into. I am considering a new desktop computer that I will use for casual gaming (basically anything Blizzard creates). However I want something suitable but also cost effective.

Here is the interesting part: I work on a computer all day and as a result I would prefer to use my 55" Sony Bravia LCD along with my home theater system as my "monitor" (in other words I would prefer to sit on my couch :) ). If I understand correctly this implies that I will likely be running everything at a 1900 resolution (assuming I take advantage of HDMI). The challenge however is finding a suitable PC for the right cost.

In other words, should I choose to build my own PC in order to save money or should I buy a pre-built system? Heres the challenge: Can I do either for around $500?

I know that sounds absurd but again we are talking about games that are not exactly demanding. The challenging part comes from the resolution that I will likely be playing with combined with my price range.

Anyways, with that said I could really use some insight into this. I am certainly computer-literate but I'm not exactly an expert in hardware.

Thanks in advance

Solution
If $541AR isn't a bridge too far then:
Untitled-1929.jpg

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
i built one for 4 clams with an Amd Athlon II x3 440 ,2 gigs of ddr2 ,a 9800gtx+, a 585 watt power supply ,a micro atx board with a cool case 2 120mm fans and a 500 gig 7200rpm hard drive. here it is. It runs well and plays games pretty good. it would cost a bit more if you bought it outright already built.

http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy108/Doom3klr/My%20Pc/

Hmmm, I can't think of any quality 585W PSUs...

Batuchka has a good build, but for those games, is a GTX460 needed? Yes, the resolution is high (1920x1080), but for the listed games, a HD5770 might be enough, and would fit in the budget.

DJA007

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks guys, I definitely appreciate the insight. I was considering building my own but wasn't sure where to start. I think this will definitely lead me to the right direction.

DJA007

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Okay so I really hate to say this but is it possible that anyone would be willing to recommend a build similar to that of the one posted by batuchka? I decided to go with what he suggested but right before I tried to purchase everything all of the combo's were canceled on NewEgg. I am sure that I am asking for quite a bit so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PSU is fecal. The i5 (NOT i3) should be quite reasonable.
From your OP, your games may not be super-demanding, but your resolution is. I think you'd be a lot happier with a HD5750 or HD5770; either of which would require replacing the previously mentioned PSU.

DJA007

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I appreciate the advice everyone. Taking the advice given I have rebuilt my potential setup for anyone who is willing to take a look and critique as necessary.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161309

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128445

This setup doesn't include a Case, CD/DVD Drive or Power Supply but those can be picked out after I find the right basic setup.

Also, any thoughts on whether or not I will really need a 600watt power supply?

Thanks

Those parts look decent, as long as your games remain undemanding.
And no, you won't need a 600W PSU. Depending on any overclocking, and future expansion, a 450W-500W PSU would be enough, and offer sufficient headroom for growth. Choose a quality PSU with full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands. OCZ is not in their league, but is acceptable on a tight budget (though there are often good deals on Antec Earthwatts or Truepower New).

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
1. You wont need a high wattage PSU now, but in the future if you wanna add a more powerful graphics card or go for xfire, you might wish that you had invested in a more powerful PSU.

Depending on your choice, go with this OCZ Fatal1ty 550 watts @ 44 bucks or if you wanna save some money, then go with this 400 watts Corsair unit @ 30 bucks. Both are 80+ non modular ones, & the OCZ also happens to be SLI ready & though you're going with ATI, the extra power cannot hurt.

If you want more powerful ones, you might wanna go with this Corsair 750 watts unit or this Antec truepower 650 watts one. Both are sli / crossfire ready.

Looking @ your requirements & budget, I'll go with the OCZ which will leave you some expansion headroom in the future.

jeroly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
I won't speak to the specifics but here are some general ideas...

In a living room the aesthetics of the box and the noise generated by the machine are considerably more important than in an office environment. You may want to shell out something extra to get a case that fits in with the rest of the decor of your entertainment center. Depending on your room and entertainment center's space considerations, that may result in wanting a micro ATX motherboard instead of the standard sized ATX motherboards.

Given that decibel levels from standard PC components can be rather annoying when sitting in the living room watching TV, you may want to do what you need to do in order to lower the volume. That can include the following:

- Use an SSD instead of a standard hard drive. It's more expensive but you get the added benefit of a significantly peppier system, and not only will the drive be noiseless but it generates less heat and thus will allow your fans to run at quieter/slower speeds.

- Underclock your CPU so that its fan can run quieter. You don't need much processing power for HTPC purposes.

- Get as low-end a GPU as you can for your purposes.

- Replace the standard fans that come in the case (and the CPU's stock HS/F) with fans that are designed for ultra-quiet operation.

You may also want to get a TV tuner card for the PC so that you can record tv shows and use the pc as a dvr. Windows Media Center software comes with recent versions of windows, or you can use a program like BeyondTV. Linux-based pcs can use programs like MythTV. Given your budget you may want to use a free OS and invest the savings in a nicer case, an SSD, quieter fans, or the like.