Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Misc. Crashing Problems

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2010 2:37:32 AM

Recently built a new system a few weeks ago, everything has been running smooth... Well, mostly smooth.

When in the windows enviroment, everything runs great. No problems, I can pass any Prime95 test with flying colors, I can pretty much do what I want without it giving me any trouble whatsoever.

But, when i play games i've noticed random, miscellaneous crashes in games like Bad Company 2, World in Conflict, and a Gmod crash (it won't crash in other games). I can't put my finger on why, the game runs beautifully up to the moment of the crash (Which involves freezing, and the speakers "buzzing" or constantly looping the last sound played. I hit the reset button, successfully boot, open into windows, and run the program again without any crashing. That s, untill i completley shut down the system at night, and boot it up in the morning. So, it will crash on a fresh restart, but after a reset, it's good to go.

Here are my Specs:
Gigabyte GA-890XT-UD3
AMD Phenom X4 955BE @ 3.2Ghz
Corsair H50
G.Skill DDR3 1333
Radeon 5850 w/ Cat. 10.7 (Upgraded from 10.6, was acting the same way)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It's not that big of an issue, but that's what makes it all the more frustrating. It's just annoying enough to where i want it to stop.

I've tried:
1. Upgrading Graphics Drivers
2. Reseting To Fail-Safe bios settings
3. Simply hibernating at night, and not shutting down so that the next time i play the games they don't crash. It sounds really really dumb, but it works. (Remember, it only crashes after a fresh restart)

Could it be Win 7 64-bit? It's just that everything runs so beautifully... Which is the majority of the time, but those crashes.. Ugh.

More about : misc crashing problems

a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 4:56:41 AM

What power supply do you have?
m
l
July 29, 2010 9:35:47 AM

Trueno07 said:
Recently built a new system a few weeks ago, everything has been running smooth... Well, mostly smooth.

When in the windows enviroment, everything runs great. No problems, I can pass any Prime95 test with flying colors, I can pretty much do what I want without it giving me any trouble whatsoever.

But, when i play games i've noticed random, miscellaneous crashes in games like Bad Company 2, World in Conflict, and a Gmod crash (it won't crash in other games). I can't put my finger on why, the game runs beautifully up to the moment of the crash (Which involves freezing, and the speakers "buzzing" or constantly looping the last sound played. I hit the reset button, successfully boot, open into windows, and run the program again without any crashing. That s, untill i completley shut down the system at night, and boot it up in the morning. So, it will crash on a fresh restart, but after a reset, it's good to go.

Here are my Specs:
Gigabyte GA-890XT-UD3
AMD Phenom X4 955BE @ 3.2Ghz
Corsair H50
G.Skill DDR3 1333
Radeon 5850 w/ Cat. 10.7 (Upgraded from 10.6, was acting the same way)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It's not that big of an issue, but that's what makes it all the more frustrating. It's just annoying enough to where i want it to stop.

I've tried:
1. Upgrading Graphics Drivers
2. Reseting To Fail-Safe bios settings
3. Simply hibernating at night, and not shutting down so that the next time i play the games they don't crash. It sounds really really dumb, but it works. (Remember, it only crashes after a fresh restart)

Could it be Win 7 64-bit? It's just that everything runs so beautifully... Which is the majority of the time, but those crashes.. Ugh.

Hmm never seen that symptom before. My apologies if this seems like a dumb question, but what happens when you hit ctrl alt delete during the crash and/or alt tab? What I'm wondering is whether the game itself freezes or does the entire OS brick but for watever reason not restart?

1. Monitor video card and CPU temperatures during gameplay, if possible.
2. Power supply watts is? Minimum wattage required may not necessarily be enough when ya account for all other components. If you have 600 watts or lower, I would say its not enough.

If none of those fix the problem, well best of luck.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 3:10:19 PM

Check and/or update your sound drivers.
July 29, 2010 3:39:30 PM

I've got a Corsair 650TX, so everything is fine there but i'll double check connections. (I hope :p )

And to answer your question, it won't let me ctrl-alt-del out of the game or anything, it straight up freezes as far as i know. When it does crash, the hard drive activity light on the front of my case stays light up, if that's any indication.

I'll do that jtt283... Interesting idea.
EDIT: Audio drivers are updated to the newest and most up-to-date i could find. I haven't played a game yet, so we'll see how everything goes...
m
l
July 30, 2010 2:57:21 PM

Best answer selected by Trueno07.
m
l
!