Running an SSD and HDD

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Alright, so a couple of months ago I bought a 128gb Samsung SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147134) and figured that since I had an unused copy of Windows 7 laying around to use, I would throw it on there and life would be simple. For whatever reason, the copy of Windows 7 was deemed not genuine through Microsoft, and I HATE Windows 7 anyways, so quite frankly I was happy I had an excuse not to keep using it after 30 days. So I switched back to my HDD as the boot drive with Vista on it, which I strongly prefer (every time I say this people are shocked, I know... Lol). But I was having a couple of issues before I switched back that I have questions about anyways.

Just as a note before I get started, Vista has always been on this HDD for as long as I've built this computer (April 2012). I never removed it once I got the SSD or anything like that, and have never had to do a clean install after the initial one. And as such, the supposedly illegitimate copy of 7 is still on the SSD, but will be going away once I build my new system next week. I also still have the original Vista product key handy.

Now to the parts I have questions about. I've always been under the impression that having the same copy of Windows in two different places will cripple both copies of Windows by default as a "security" measure on Microsoft's end (understandable, but I disapprove). I plan to use the SSD with Vista as my boot drive come next week, and would prefer that there was no remnants of the OS left on my current HDD. I know mostly about the OS tweaks that need to be done for this to be worth it, but a reminder wouldn't hurt if anyone feels inclined. I essentially want to use my HDD as just a 640gb storage unit for everything (music, videos, pictures, etc.) other than the OS and games I'll be playing. Would just simply formatting my HDD through My Computer accomplish this? That's all I can think of that is logical. Everything I've ever read said that formatting SSD's and HDD's that way is a bad thing, but for my purposes that method sounds like it makes sense, although I admit that I could be wrong which is why I am asking in the first place.

Also, when I was running the SSD as my boot drive and trying to pull files from my HDD, such as music or other media, I really couldn't. Most folders were locked and I absolutely could not get my media to be available unless I hand opened each file individually through My Computer navigation. I tried "sharing" the folders that I wanted shared, but that was the only thing I could think to do, and it didn't work. So how do I get it so the media files that will be stored on my HDD show up readily in my Media Player when I boot from the SSD?

Solution
Ah sorry to clarify.

Prior to doing anthing I would prepare the mechanical drive for a clean transition. With the ssd drive unplugged create a folder on your mechanical drive c:\ and copy files from your user folders (my documents or c:\users\<name>\My Music) to a generic folder on C:\ like (c:\music) and any other folders/files you need from your documents.

This way you don't have to deal with vista rights management that you had the pleasure of dealing with (guess it said you don't have the necessary rights blablabla) (the alternative is to create the new vista install with the same account name and password or "migrate" data from an old drive though I don't recommend this since you want to leave them on your old HDD and this step...
You may not be able to format the hard drive through my computer as it's hard to get Windows to be erased , it seems that there is prtection for the Windows folred that prevents it from being simplyformated that way. You will have to use the Windows install disk to format the drive or you can download Linux onto a usb stick and secure erase the drive.

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Would it workout okay if I just made the drive into two partitions containing Windows/everything else and then just being sure to boot from the SSD, obviously making sure my BIOS is in AHCI mode? Would that essentially have the same effect?

I understand that the TRIM issue is a relevant one, but there are ways to run Vista safely (supposedly, I'm still doing my research) without doing damage to your SSD in the long-term, such as turning off disk formatting for starters. I absolutely hate Windows 7 even though it is essentially an "improved" Vista. I'm not sure why, I just really feel that way. I don't like the way the taskbar is setup, I don't feel like 7 is setup in a way that flows well for the way I use it... Maybe it's partially because my introduction to it was on a laptop, but I seriously just prefer Vista and am willing to deal with the workarounds to make it work on an SSD as long as the workarounds are as successful for me as they're made out to be where I've read.

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Well this was a fun thing :p

Supermuncher85

Distinguished

While I'm here though might as well answer. Easiest way to achieve this would be instead of using the preset music folder under my documents to just create a new folder with your music on your c: that way you don't have to deal with windows credentials issues.

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Haha, no worries. I got a little chuckle out of it (which never hurts)!

I can't quite tell what you're saying. Are you saying to make a general "Music" folder somewhere on my HDD ad then share the folder? Or are you saying to actually move the the Music files over to the SSD (which would be acting as the C: drive if I boot from it)? I'm trying to avoid filling up my 128GB SSD with any media if possible, but like to have the tangible files on my computer as opposed to using solely my Google Music account to listen to music.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Ah sorry to clarify.

Prior to doing anthing I would prepare the mechanical drive for a clean transition. With the ssd drive unplugged create a folder on your mechanical drive c:\ and copy files from your user folders (my documents or c:\users\<name>\My Music) to a generic folder on C:\ like (c:\music) and any other folders/files you need from your documents.

This way you don't have to deal with vista rights management that you had the pleasure of dealing with (guess it said you don't have the necessary rights blablabla) (the alternative is to create the new vista install with the same account name and password or "migrate" data from an old drive though I don't recommend this since you want to leave them on your old HDD and this step would copy the data onto the SSD without a registry modification).

I always recommend doing a fresh install of the OS. When doing this always unplug the original HDD during install(otherwise the bootsector will stay on your old mechanical HDD)and when you go formatting said drive SHTF.

Lastly BEFORE you install make sure that AHCI is enabled in the bios if you have this option. If it is on IDE right now don't change this to AHCI until you are ready to install the new OS onto the SSD or you won't be able to boot back into the currently working vista on your mechanical HDD.

So once your "new" vista is running the next step is to replug the old drive (make sure the boot order in the bios is set to load your SSD first) and then you should be able to navigate to your now d drive (the old mechanical HDD) and hopefully the music and other folders you created on this drive should be fully accessible now and you can begin deleting the unnecessary files from the drive.

Solution