Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying to choose between cheap-o gaming Mobos

Last response: in Motherboards
May 21, 2011 11:46:36 PM

Hey there everyone--
Looking for a solid, cheap board for my gaming PC in the range of $100. All I do on this PC is gaming--nothing else. I'm sort of new to this whole computer building thing so I'm looking for some advice :D 
I just want a solid, affordable board that will last me a long time.

My current specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (thats an AM3 Socket)
ATI 5770 graphics
4gb ram

Currently I'm looking at the M4A79XTD EVO, and the M4A88TD-M, both by ASUS. The first is an ATX board, the 2nd an mATX.
I like the ATX board because it seems to have less extraneous crap on it, which is great. I like that it seems solid & no-frills. I don't think I'll be using HDMI or USB3.0 probably ever.

My questions are:

power consumption
which board will use power more efficiently? Is there a big enough difference to matter?

onboard graphics
will the onboard graphics of the 88TD actually improve the performance of my computer?

mATX form factor
I dont plan on ever having a crossfire setup--are there any other disadvantages to mATX I should know about?

and:
are there any other boards you could recommend?

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2011 12:20:30 AM

No onboard video will not improve performance of your computer, it's disabled if you have a video card installed. No there are not any disadvantages of M-atx other than reduced features.

If your building it for gaming and your worried about power consumption, go with the i3-2100 or 2120. It's faster than 955BE in gaming and uses half the power. Not to mention you can get a mobo for $60-70 and it has better upgradeability.

Also the savings would allow you to get a better graphics card.

May 22, 2011 4:26:53 PM

Thanks geek!

I'm pretty sold on the 2100, thanks for suggesting that.

However,
I'm sort of lost on the differences between motherboards. I did some research and I couldnt come across a clear answer on what motherboard I should get. Is there a mobo that can be recommend against the others?
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2011 6:57:48 PM

How much do you want to spend?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2011 7:07:17 PM

For a third option, try AsRocks M3a770DE
I'm planning on putting either 955's or 975's in ours soon
Moto
m
l
May 22, 2011 7:40:26 PM

geekapproved said:
How much do you want to spend?

In the ballpark of $100 on a motherboard.
m
l
May 22, 2011 9:32:32 PM

Best answer selected by yam.
m
l
May 22, 2011 9:37:04 PM

geekapproved said:
So $120 cpu and $100 mobo = $220.

This is a killer deal if it comes back in stock

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

decent

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Do you by chance live near a microcenter?

Oakland--the nearest Microcenter is about 1 hour away, but unfortunately I have no car to get to it.

I'm going to go with the first combo--looks great and I don't mind waiting for it to come back in stock. This is gonna be awesome. Thanks so much for your help, Geek!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2011 9:51:17 PM

I hear microcenter offers a i3-2100 and mobo for $99. Might be worth checking out, certainly would be worth driving an hour for.
m
l
!