Your question

Is My HDD Dying?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2012 5:12:48 AM

I have 2 hard drives. One for Windows 7 (C) and the other for storage (D). A few days ago when I turned on my PC I got an error telling me that my recycle bin was corrupted. So I emptied it but kept getting the error on boot. Now today when I tried it, I no longer get the error, but my secondary drive (D) is no longer mounting. It is not showing up in My Computer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. Programs, folders, files are not accessible that were on HDD as I get a message saying that the drive is unavailable.

I have no idea on what happened so I can only assume the HDD has died?

EDIT:

Also, I just noticed that my the letter D: that used to be my HDD is now assigned to my DVD drive. :( 

EDIT 2:

I solved the problem somehow. I opened up my computer and disconnected then reconnected all of the HDDs cables and now its working again.

EDIT 3:

Rebooted and now its gone again. :pfff: 

More about : hdd dying

a b G Storage
October 14, 2012 1:53:27 PM

Sounds like the file structure of your drive is out of spec.
You may want to backup your data on the drive and then perform a low-level format or write zeros to the drive.

Usually the manufacturer of the drive will have some sort of utility that one can download.

Make sure you back up first!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 88 G Storage
October 14, 2012 2:53:10 PM

If reconnecting the cables soves the problem temporarily, it's very unlikely, that it is a problem with the disk. Can you change the SATA and power cable? And use a different SATA port? Anyway, if you get it to work, backup you data! :) 
m
l
October 14, 2012 11:35:17 PM

Yeah, I think its definitely dying. When I turned it on this morning it started making a clicking noise and trying to access anything on that drive freezes my computer.
m
l
!