2 360mm rads in the top of a Corsair Obsidian 800D?

roger88

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I have a computer with 2 GTX 295s, a EVGA Classified 3-way sli mb and an i7 965 that I would like to watercool. I want 1 loop with 2 360mm rads, but i don't want to mount a rad externally behind the case. Thus I wonder if it is possible to mount one 360 rad on top internally, and one externally, or would the air then coming to the second radiator be too hot to effectively dissipate the heat?
And, umm... Where do I put the wires from the top fans? Is it possible to get them inside the case? xD

acer0169

Distinguished
I wouldn't say it would be TOO hot, but it would be warmer than some would want. If you get 3 beastly fans like 100CFM+ then you shouldn't have an issue. You could also have a push-pull system so you order it fans > rad > case top > fans > rad or something like that?

roger88

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, and if I change the back exhaust fan to intake, and make sure to get enough cold air inside the case, it should be mostly cold air going through the radiators, since everything is watercooled except the harddrives and the RAM, so there is really not much heating up the air. ;)

acer0169

Distinguished
Yeah.. turn the rear to intake. Also.. do you have a side fan / front fans? If so.. you'll be fine. As long as you don't have shitty fans up at the top the air going over teh second rad will be just fine.

roger88

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Oh, seems I forgot to mention that this is inside a Corsair Obsidian 800D case. Therefore the air comming from the outside is coming from the bottom. Probably going to replace the original 140mm fan to a 140x140x38mm or something... Some fan that really moves air :)
Still I find more problems... If I attach the radiator that is inside to the top, what holes do I use to mount the external radiator? After some thought I came up with a solution: Instead of putting the screws through the top of the case and directly down into the radiator inside, I will take the screws through the fans on top, then down through the top of the case and down in the radiator. But then I will need some longer screws, anyone know where to get some with the same dimention as those following a Noctua NF-P12?