Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Using AMD and Nvidia. A good idea?

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2010 3:29:08 AM

Just wanted to get some input from you guys. What do you think about using an AMD processor and Mobo with a Nvidia GPU? There's not really a reason not to that I know of other than the fast that there is almost no support out there for. There's only 2 motherboards that are 980a SLI. So do you guys think in order to use Nvidia GPU's you need to use Intel processors and chipsets? Just trying to figure some stuff out. Thanks guys.

Just incase you where wondering my delima is that I've got approx. $180 and I can get a Phenom II X3 and a decent non sli mobo for that price and I can use the 4gb of DDR2 I have bt if I want to run sli in the future I have to buy a whole new mobo.

More about : amd nvidia good idea

July 29, 2010 4:06:24 AM

A CPU with a current motherboard will have a PCIe video card slot or on-board video. Some games are slanted to use Nvidia, others ATI. Using correct drivers for the video chipset has nothing to do with the CPU you use. Party on Garth!
m
l
July 29, 2010 4:15:05 AM

I realize all that. What I was more talking about is for the future. Are there going o be more than 2 amd motherboards that support sli? Or in order to go with nvidia is it a better idea to go with intel even tho its more expensive. I iust want to know for a long term investment is amd with nvidia a good idea? Thanks
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2010 4:19:02 AM

If you don't want to use the 980a MOBO, there is sort of another solutions. There is some kind of hack out there to enable motherboards that are only crossfire to do SLI. I was thinking the same thing as you, so I randomly stumbled upon this:

http://xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?conte...

If you scroll down, there are examples of people getting it to work with the 890GX, 890FX, and 790FX boards (which are normally only crossfire capable). There is some risk of your computer not booting though, as with any kind of hack, so do so at your own risk.
m
l
July 29, 2010 4:23:13 AM

beranimus said:
Just wanted to get some input from you guys. What do you think about using an AMD processor and Mobo with a Nvidia GPU? There's not really a reason not to that I know of other than the fast that there is almost no support out there for. There's only 2 motherboards that are 980a SLI. So do you guys think in order to use Nvidia GPU's you need to use Intel processors and chipsets? Just trying to figure some stuff out. Thanks guys.

Just incase you where wondering my delima is that I've got approx. $180 and I can get a Phenom II X3 and a decent non sli mobo for that price and I can use the 4gb of DDR2 I have bt if I want to run sli in the future I have to buy a whole new mobo.

Ultimately, its a marketing ploy. Theres this false claim that ATI cards will work "better" with AMD boards or processors, but nothing has proved such a claim. Remember AMD and ATI are one company. This marketing applies to NVIDIA support as well. You won't see many boards with nvidia SLI support for the same reason.

If your on a budget, there is ultimately no reason why not. Out of curiosity though, what NVIDIA card is it because it helps to be specific with us (if people disagree, at least specific with me lol to help ya determine bottlenecks).
m
l
July 29, 2010 4:27:26 AM

Its a brand spankin' new gigabyte gtx 460 1gb :) 
m
l
July 29, 2010 4:35:03 AM

Jzcaesar said:
If you don't want to use the 980a MOBO, there is sort of another solutions. There is some kind of hack out there to enable motherboards that are only crossfire to do SLI. I was thinking the same thing as you, so I randomly stumbled upon this:

http://xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?conte...

If you scroll down, there are examples of people getting it to work with the 890GX, 890FX, and 790FX boards (which are normally only crossfire capable). There is some risk of your computer not booting though, as with any kind of hack, so do so at your own risk.

I just got done reading the first few paragraphs. Its pretty cool stuff but from what I could tell you have to have intels X58 chipset or H55 chipset in order for this to work. No AMD support from what I can tell. Let me know if I'm wrong :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 4:42:44 AM

Well just from reading his post the chipsets he mentions are AMD only. So yeah, AMD support possible.

Frankly double cards are totally useless for most users. You're more likely to upgrade again in like 2 years and at that point there will be a better card to buy instead of buying another of what you have now. (and sell what you have now on ebay for like half of whatever it is). So go ahead and get that one card mobo. It'll do fine no matter what single card you're running, even if you manage to find an S3 Chrome card somewhere.

Also 'in the future' you probably won't want to buy multiple mobos with DDR2.
m
l
July 29, 2010 4:47:39 AM

Ya I know ill have to updgrade to ddr3. That's just not in the budget right now :) 
m
l
July 29, 2010 5:06:01 AM

Forgot to let you know I'm upgradeing from an Asus M2N-SLI motherboard with pci express 1.0 and an AM2 chipset. Thats why I'm getting a new one
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 8:19:40 AM

I see. If that's the case then whatever CPU you're using is holding back that card quite a bit. If I were you, what I'd do is go ahead and get the single graphics card one. Stick with that until bulldozer, since an athlon II x3 and the fermi card should do fine till then. That way if it doesn't use AM3, you'll not have wasted the money on it. (they have said they'll be supporting AM3 for awhile, but not specifically said bulldozer would be on it AFAIK)

Then I'd sell the CPU/mobo as a combo on ebay just because you might as well. There's a section for it and I'd expect about $50, more if it's a dual core CPU.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 4:13:50 PM

That would definitely be a much better option in this situation. If you still want a triple core just check where it is on the list and flash the BIOS before installing.
m
l
July 29, 2010 8:03:13 PM

Best answer selected by beranimus.
m
l
July 29, 2010 8:04:39 PM

Thanbks for all the input guys. I think Ill stick with the single gpu board and x3 for now. And what is bulldozer? Can I get a link to some info on that
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 30, 2010 12:52:41 AM

Bulldozer is just the next big architecture design from AMD. There's a bunch of stuff on it, just google for it.

And just to let you know, if you go ahead and use this mobo, it being a PCI-E 1.0 won't actually hurt performance for your 460.
m
l
July 30, 2010 5:54:45 AM

I did look up the stuff on bulldozer. I just googled it like you said. I thought about that about 10 seconds after I posted that lol.

I also took another look at http://xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?conte... and it does have stuff in it about crossfire so my bad on that one.

And just to let you guys know the mobo I ordered is the Asus M4477D. Nothing amazing but it will get the job done fore sure. It's only 65 bucks after rebate on newegg. Thanks again for the help
m
l
!