Do i need a SSD as cache?

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
Hi

I am not sure about the idea of using a ssd as a cache drive for hdd.

Let's say if I have installed my programs, eg: Maya in my primary SSD drive, and save my maya works etc in my HDD.

Will I still get the speed of the SSD while working ? or do I need to get another SSD to be the HDD's cache drive in order to achieve that?

Solution
If you have a SSD as the primary OS drive then you do not need a small SSD as a cache drive as they are both the same speed and theere would be no benefit. If you had a conventional drive as the OS drive then you would want to use the SSD as a cache drive.
The motherboards are set up to use the SSD as a cache drive for the OS drive only and not to be used for a secondary drive.
If you have a SSD as the primary OS drive then you do not need a small SSD as a cache drive as they are both the same speed and theere would be no benefit. If you had a conventional drive as the OS drive then you would want to use the SSD as a cache drive.
The motherboards are set up to use the SSD as a cache drive for the OS drive only and not to be used for a secondary drive.

Solution