Only 3D games freeze

bhtechmech

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hello,
Whenever I play any 3D games between 1-90mins my computer freezes. I have 5 fans and my GPU fan I always run at 100% giving me around 53 degrees C at load. System temp is 33 C at load. I've done new drivers, reinstalled the OS, and all other areas are updated. What is causing this? I had to replace one of my RAID drives because of constantly having to shut down the PC the wrong way. I thought that was the issue but after 90mins it happened again.

Thanks,

CPU: Q9550
MoBo: Asus Stryker II Extreme
RAM 4GB duel channel set of Gskill 1333
HDD: RAID 0+1, FOUR Western Digital Cavier Blue 320GB 7200RPM 16MB cache
PSU: Corsair 750wt HX series
Windows 7 Home Premium
Antec 900 case
4 120mm Coolermaster
1 200mm Antec Top fan

derkevevin

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
well im not a professional, but wich dx version do you use?
(of course you updated restored it, too.
with your os?)
maybe you can try another possible dx?
or try using your card on another pc?
i mean if you reinstalled the whole os, check the card.

Is your card overclocked? If so, reduce speed to stock and see if your computer crashes when playing games.

If it runs fine then that means you have an overheating issue. Perhaps you need to apply a fresh layer of thermal paste between the GPU chip and the heatsink. Of course you would need to clean off the current paste.

bhtechmech

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Okay,
Thanks for the replies. I underclock my card now and after an hour or so it lags instead of freezes. If I do not play any 3D games after a about 2-3hours my whole computer freezes, usually during transfers using either ESATA or USB, or a download. It has been doing this for a while...on WoW I thought it was my internet connection but now I see it freeze on other games. Since it all began I have new HDD, reinstalled the OS, run chkdsk, run system file checker, run HDD regen on my old HDD thinking it was going but it wasn't exactly just file corruption from constantly having to reboot my comp during a freeze.
My DX is 9.0c

Keep the insight coming please, and thank you

bhtechmech

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

What do you mean by updated restored it?

derkevevin

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010

i meant updated/restored it.
if you have problems with installing the new direct x,
make sure to get it from microsoft.

when i got it from somewhere else, the installer asked me
where to put the files and i didnt know.