Velbon tripods any good?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 25, 2004 8:39:05 AM

Hi All,

I am still shopping around for a tripod that can be carried in carry-on
luggage and general use. The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
the general reputation of these?

More importantly, has anyone here used them and if so what is your opinion
based on your experience?

Here is one that supports up to 10lbs for $30 from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

NOTE: My application is Canon 20D /w EF 70-200mm f/4L. Must be able to fit
in carry-on luggage for travel.

Thanks
Musty.

More about : velbon tripods good

December 25, 2004 9:37:17 AM

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message news:Z17zd.21688$yv2.447@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I am still shopping around for a tripod that can be carried in carry-on
> luggage and general use. The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> the general reputation of these?
>
> More importantly, has anyone here used them and if so what is your opinion
> based on your experience?
>
> Here is one that supports up to 10lbs for $30 from B&H.
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>

> NOTE: My application is Canon 20D /w EF 70-200mm f/4L. Must be able to fit
> in carry-on luggage for travel.

I have a CX-440 which looks identical to the one pictured in the referenced link. It's ok
if you are doing wide angle shots, like group photos, buildings or nature scenes that you
have time to set up for, but for tight zoom shots you'll drive yourself crazy trying to get is
set up, pointed and stabilized -especially on subjects that like to move. I set mine up to
get a moon shot two nights ago and finally gave up and shot it handheld instead. If it is
windy out you can also pretty much forget about it. They are cheap, light weight and pretty
much perform that way. I suspect that it will fit in larger carry-on-luggage but have never
tried before.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 9:42:38 AM

On 12/24/04 11:39 PM, in article Z17zd.21688$yv2.447@fe2.texas.rr.com,
"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am still shopping around for a tripod that can be carried in carry-on
> luggage and general use. The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> the general reputation of these?
>
> More importantly, has anyone here used them and if so what is your opinion
> based on your experience?
>
> Here is one that supports up to 10lbs for $30 from B&H.
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
> =167149&is=REG
>

> NOTE: My application is Canon 20D /w EF 70-200mm f/4L. Must be able to fit
> in carry-on luggage for travel.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

Velbon does make some good tripods. However, IMO, the one you reference
would not be substantial enough to steady your 20D w/ 70-200 lens. It would
be a shame to invest in an 'L' glass lens only to get unsteady pictures
because of your tripod.
Chuck
December 25, 2004 12:35:40 PM

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I am still shopping around for a tripod that can be carried in carry-on
> luggage and general use. The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> the general reputation of these?
>
> More importantly, has anyone here used them and if so what is your opinion
> based on your experience?

I own a CX 560 which is very similar. I chose it because of weight for
carrying, ie lack of it. Wouldn't describe it as 'rock solid' but a good
compromise and works OK with a 75-300. I thought the camera mounting looked
a bit dubious but I've had no problems
December 25, 2004 5:01:41 PM

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I am still shopping around for a tripod that can be carried in carry-on
> luggage and general use. The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> the general reputation of these?
>
> More importantly, has anyone here used them and if so what is your opinion
> based on your experience?
>
> Here is one that supports up to 10lbs for $30 from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

> NOTE: My application is Canon 20D /w EF 70-200mm f/4L. Must be able to fit
> in carry-on luggage for travel.
>
>This is a consumer video tripod. The fluid head tells me that. Genrally
video heads don't have a vertical setting, nor do they lock firmly. They are
designed to adjust how smooth the action is.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 6:51:25 PM

I have the Velbon Victory 451 which appears to be an older version of the
one you are looking at. It is a very good budget tripod and is much higher
in quality that its price would suggest. HOWEVER, it is still a budget
tripod. That means there are compromises in features, stability, and in
build quality that may or may not be important to you.

For instance my quick release mount is plastic, not metal. To be fair, it
has never given me any problems and seems rigid enough and works well with
my Canon G3 as well as my Canon AE1 with its 70 - 250 mm zoom lens. But I
do worry about performance in cold weather (i.e., will it become brittle in
very cold weather?), so even though it is heavier and bigger,I use my trusty
30 year old Slick aluminum tripod in winter. Also, the friction resistance,
in the pan head makes it difficult to quickly position your camera and keep
it in position when tightening it into place. (but that's true of most
tripods in this price range)

At $30 USD, it's pretty hard to go wrong, even if it isn't exactly what you
want. My experience with Velbon says "buy it,it can always become your
back-up tripod if you decide to go with something better later". Besides any
tripod is better than no tripod.

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I am still shopping around for a tripod that can be carried in carry-on
> luggage and general use. The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> the general reputation of these?
>
> More importantly, has anyone here used them and if so what is your opinion
> based on your experience?
>
> Here is one that supports up to 10lbs for $30 from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

> NOTE: My application is Canon 20D /w EF 70-200mm f/4L. Must be able to fit
> in carry-on luggage for travel.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:14:38 AM

Musty wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am still shopping around for a tripod that can be carried in carry-on
> luggage and general use. The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> the general reputation of these?
>
> More importantly, has anyone here used them and if so what is your opinion
> based on your experience?
>
> Here is one that supports up to 10lbs for $30 from B&H.
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>

> NOTE: My application is Canon 20D /w EF 70-200mm f/4L. Must be able to fit
> in carry-on luggage for travel.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

In my stockpile of tripods there is a Velbon Maxi i 343E very lite
weight aluminum tripod. It was given to me as a gift (I would never have
bought it). For quite a while I refused to use it because I thought the
tripod to be too lite and unstable. Well, it was/is too lite and unstable.

In my stockpile of heads, I found the Manfotto 3025. This not as
versitle as other heads that I have and I've long replaced this head
with much better heads on my other heavy duty tripods, but for
stationary photos it'l do.

Some time ago, in between having nothing to do, I decided to put the
3025 head on the Velbon tripod and lo and behold, it still was a crummy
setup and that description of the setup is rather mild. But the only
good thing that caught my interest was the head positioning the camera
in such manner that placed the legs of the tripod somewhat out of the
way of where I was working. Positioning the camera over one of the legs
provided some stability and no fear of the setup toppling over.

Since the CL of the tripod was clear of the head, I placed my left arm
over the CL of the tripod and placed some body weight upon the tripod.
With the Canon remote switch RS-80N3 attached to the camera, I took a
series of pictures of various outdoor scenes and the results were rather
gratifying.

Normally, I don't care to use Velbon tripods and most of all I had a low
opinion about the 343E tripod. Being a gift I didn't want to get rid of
it and besides, I have better tripods. But the much better tripods that
I have are much too heavy to tote around all day and they can't be
placed in an aircraft carry-on suitcase.

Bottom line: Using the setup that I mentioned for the 343E tripod, it
has now become the tripod that goes in my suitcase when I travel, and
sling over my arm when hicking. The only thing I've added is a camera
quick release connection.

BTW, this is the only Velbon tripod that I have.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:14:39 AM

nick c wrote:
<snip>

> In my stockpile of tripods there is a Velbon Maxi i 343E very lite
> weight aluminum tripod. It was given to me as a gift (I would never
> have bought it). For quite a while I refused to use it because I
> thought
> the tripod to be too lite and unstable. Well, it was/is too lite and
> unstable.
> In my stockpile of heads, I found the Manfotto 3025. This not as
> versitle as other heads that I have and I've long replaced this head
> with much better heads on my other heavy duty tripods, but for
> stationary photos it'l do.
>
> Some time ago, in between having nothing to do, I decided to put the
> 3025 head on the Velbon tripod and lo and behold, it still was a
> crummy setup and that description of the setup is rather mild. But the
> only
> good thing that caught my interest was the head positioning the camera
> in such manner that placed the legs of the tripod somewhat out of the
> way of where I was working. Positioning the camera over one of the
> legs provided some stability and no fear of the setup toppling over.
>
> Since the CL of the tripod was clear of the head, I placed my left arm
> over the CL of the tripod and placed some body weight upon the tripod.
> With the Canon remote switch RS-80N3 attached to the camera, I took a
> series of pictures of various outdoor scenes and the results were
> rather gratifying.
>
> Normally, I don't care to use Velbon tripods and most of all I had a
> low opinion about the 343E tripod. Being a gift I didn't want to get
> rid
> of it and besides, I have better tripods. But the much better tripods
> that I have are much too heavy to tote around all day and they can't
> be
> placed in an aircraft carry-on suitcase.
>
> Bottom line: Using the setup that I mentioned for the 343E tripod, it
> has now become the tripod that goes in my suitcase when I travel, and
> sling over my arm when hicking. The only thing I've added is a camera
> quick release connection.
>
> BTW, this is the only Velbon tripod that I have.

My experience with the light ones, medium ones, and heavy ones of any
brand is that they all get better if you lean on them. Of course you
could lean on them with a heavy camera bag hanging from some appendage
near the center-bottom of the head. Some manufacturers offer a hook for
just that purpose.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

In article <Z17zd.21688$yv2.447@fe2.texas.rr.com>,
"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:

> The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> the general reputation of these?

Second, third or fourth rate - depending on the model.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 2:02:05 AM

"Simon Gardner" <666_@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote:
> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> > The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> > the general reputation of these?
>
> Second, third or fourth rate - depending on the model.

First rate for the Neo Carmagne 730 and 830. But those aren't in the price
bracket of concern here.

For solid but cheap, the Slik 300/500/700DX are worth looking at.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
December 27, 2004 2:16:16 AM

"Simon Gardner" <666_@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message
> In article <Z17zd.21688$yv2.447@fe2.texas.rr.com>,
> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> > The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> > the general reputation of these?
>
> Second, third or fourth rate - depending on the model.

The question was inappropriately expressed. Velbon makes good tripods and
not-so-good ones, too. I own 2 of their models from 25 years ago, and they
are rock-solid. They make other models that are flimsy.

One cannot rate all tripods from the same manufacturer as equal.
December 27, 2004 5:47:32 AM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message

> "Simon Gardner" <666_@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote:
> > "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:
> >
> > > The Velbon tripods seem to be good value. What is
> > > the general reputation of these?
> >
> > Second, third or fourth rate - depending on the model.
>
> First rate for the Neo Carmagne 730 and 830. But those aren't in the price
> bracket of concern here.
>
> For solid but cheap, the Slik 300/500/700DX are worth looking at.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

I ended up going with the SLIK Pro 330DX - its was a bit more $, but
probably worth it in the end. Thanks for all the input.
!