Sign in with
Your question

GTX 470 - Screen flickers while playing game

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2010 7:37:27 PM

I just recently built my 1st computer and it seemed everything was fine as I had been playing it for about 5 days with no problems. About 3 days ago I was playing WoW and I got some flickering while playing. I'm not sure what it could be but I am running it on Ultra settings since I'm sure my setup is more than capable. I have the latest drives installed for everything and even tried reinstalling the video card drivers again. I have linked a video I uploaded so anyone interested can take a look if they think know what it might/can be. Please let me know if you need some more info as I'm at a loss as to why it is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ge-PPVsULw

Setup:
i7 930 2.8ghz
ASUS P6T mobo
6gb Corsair Dominator 1600 ram - Windows reading all 6gb too.
GTX 470
Coolit ECO alc cpu cooler
Coolermaster Storm case
850w Antec power supply
Windows 7 premium home 64-bit
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 226bw

- no overclocking done at this time
- Speedfan says all temps are fine even while playing for an hour or so
June 21, 2010 8:19:34 PM

What Video drivers are you using?

If all your hardware is coming back ok, Id reinstall your video drivers to see if that resolves your issue.

Going to Win7 64 ultimate, I had to uninstall / reinstall 2 times to get the 197.45 drivers to take correctly. This is using "driver sweeper" in safe mode too.

FYI, if you haven't, try the new 257.21 drivers Nvidia just released. See if that helps.

EDIT: Also, since you said the PC is new, make sure the mobo chipset drivers are all up to date too. Ya never know ;) 
m
l
June 21, 2010 8:24:04 PM

Triton05 said:
What Video drivers are you using?

If all your hardware is coming back ok, Id reinstall your video drivers to see if that resolves your issue.

Going to Win7 64 ultimate, I had to uninstall / reinstall 2 times to get the 197.45 drivers to take correctly. This is using "driver sweeper" in safe mode too.

FYI, if you haven't, try the new 257.21 drivers Nvidia just released. See if that helps.

Thanks for the response.

As a matter of fact I just installed those new 257.21 drivers day before last. And mobo drivers are good too. Double checked those as well.

Could it be anything related to the sound of the game? Just a wild guess there.
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2010 8:37:48 PM

Does the flickering happen in just one location in the game? or when just one sound starts to play?
One other thing I thought of, do you have the ability to change out your DVI connector? Or try the "other" DVI in on the video card?

I know from my personal experiance, if I connect my DVI plug to the "outter" DVI in on my 285, I get a high pitch ring from my card at times. ( due to high FPS during game menus and what not ) but connecting it to the "inner" DVI, that sound doesnt occure.

Just a thought.

m
l
June 21, 2010 8:41:46 PM

Triton05 said:
Does the flickering happen in just one location in the game? or when just one sound starts to play?
One other thing I thought of, do you have the ability to change out your DVI connector? Or try the "other" DVI in on the video card?

I know from my personal experiance, if I connect my DVI plug to the "outter" DVI in on my 285, I get a high pitch ring from my card at times. ( due to high FPS during game menus and what not ) but connecting it to the "inner" DVI, that sound doesnt occure.

Just a thought.

It happens in different spots in the game and I haven't noticed any particular sound set it off.

I'll check the different DVI connector as you said but I'd hope that connector didn't go 'bad' in just 5 days of use since it was fine before then and this is a new vid card. *crosses fingers*
m
l
June 21, 2010 8:44:23 PM

Im thinking maybe it is the DVI cable itself, from your card, to your monitor. Not necessarily the port on the video card.

But its worth trying both, a swap from one DVI port to the other. If that fails, try another DVI cable.

Lemme know ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2010 10:54:20 PM

Do you have access to another PSU to try. Weird problems have been seen when PSU is flaky (ie doesn't always crash/BSOD). Could be the graphics card itself. If you have access to another system, you could try out the graphics card in it.
m
l
June 22, 2010 4:29:56 AM

I used a lot of the same hardware as you when I put together my recent system. I have the GTX 470 and some of the games flickered a lot and i would get random crashes. I did a combination of updating my drivers to the new 257 (at the time I ran the beta 256) using the driversweeper and replaced my memory. I ran the same memory as you and almost immediately after getting rid of them, all my crashing and flickering stopped.
m
l
!