New custom computer power problems

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computer
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 1, 2010 6:58:25 PM

I have been experiencing problems with my new custom built computer. Upon opening the PC and setting it up the original power cord that came with it did not work, luckily I had an old spare power cord which worked by letting me turn the computer on and everything seemed to be working as it should. I left the computer on for around 1-2 hours, I was downstairs watching TV for around 1 hour while I left it to install software. When I returned it still seemed normal, though when I sat down I could feel warm air coming from the power supply fan. I felt the case around the PSU and it was hot, probably more than it should be and there was that warm air smell. It was only a few minutes after that when there was a flash of light, a slightly loud pop noise and the computer cut off from power taking the power cable with it. The next day I opened the case up to check for any damage, everything looked as it did before. So now I’m stuck with a computer that won’t turn on and an equally as useless power cable, and I mean no signs of life like no lights, fans etc are turning on. Is this solely down to a faulty PSU or are there other possible problems with hardware causing this to happen?

I’ve also looked at the "System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist, everything is connected to the motherboard correctly and just to confirm that when I did have the computer working it was fine and I was able to use it normally. This was the second time the PC had been turned on since being built, the first being at the computer company who built it and I suspect the original power cable they supplied had broken when they had tested it. Then the second time it was turned on was for 1-2 hours as I have said with another power cord then cut off. To my knowledge all of the components in the computer are brand new. I would prefer to try and fix the problem myself especially if it just means replacing hardware rather than sending it back to be repaired by people who didn’t recognize or sort out the problem with it in the first place.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 AM3 @3.10GHz
Motherboard: Asus M4N68T-M
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x 2GB)
Hard Drives: 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
PSU: ATX 500W

More about : custom computer power problems

a b ) Power supply
October 1, 2010 7:22:59 PM

exactly what psu? atx 500w doesnt mean wnything in this time where there are many 200w units masquerating as 500w...so EXACTLY WHAT MODEL PSU :) 
October 1, 2010 7:49:00 PM

ATX-500 500w... extremely cheap as I have just found out !
Related resources
October 1, 2010 8:03:41 PM

lACz said:
ATX-500 500w... extremely cheap as I have just found out !

If it's really cheap it might really only be able to pump out 300w and as a result is working harder than it should.
What brand is it?
October 1, 2010 8:32:51 PM

from what I can see on it, it doesn't have a brand. from the link I posted its titled as 'RL Value ATX 500w OEM Power Supply'
October 1, 2010 8:41:37 PM

Buy a good Corsair 400cx and you'll be fine.
That psu you got there is good for crap.
October 1, 2010 8:42:53 PM

You just can't pay the same price for a psu as for a pizza you know ... There are a lot of reasons I don't want to name them, but what you could do is sell this crap on the internet and buy yourself a pizza with it :) 

hmmmmm pizza
October 1, 2010 9:16:55 PM

If i had known they were going to put this psu in the system I would have asked for something else. I really hope this is the problem so all I need to do is replace it with a better one. So I'm guessing this is the most likely reason why my pc has no power?
October 1, 2010 9:19:01 PM

Yes sir :) 

99% chances that the psu is the problem here.
October 1, 2010 9:23:17 PM

thankyou for the help, I will be looking to buy a new PSU now :) 
October 1, 2010 9:52:11 PM

I strongly suggest you to post it on here prior to buy it ... That way we'll tell you if it's alright the build or not.
October 2, 2010 3:23:48 AM

Perfect choice !
!