Are chipsets important?

toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Excuse me if my lack of knowledge offends you. I've worked with some individual parts in the past but this is my first time building an entire computer. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest solution for the intel i5 2500k (also with 470 gtx). I intend to produce hd videos with this new rig, and also play demanding games.

My two choices are:

BIOSTAR TP67XE ($140)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138317&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1v930lw3b4ay8

ASRock Z68 ($120)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157251

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two are differing chipsets and that the asrock has only 1 pcie slot (but it doesn't matter, I'm not planning to go sli, ever).

Is the chipset in the biostar somehow better (if the chipset is the only different part)? Will a bad chipset bottleneck performance of this computer (are there overclocking limiatations)? I'm trying to spend as little as possible, and I like the asrock mobo's price.

Thanks.

oh, and by the way, The only difference whatsoever between ATX and Micro ATX is size, correct? Same performance (except less slots in matx)?

jbakerlent

Distinguished
^+1, you'll want the Z68 or H67 chipsets for quick sync. Since you mention overclocking, the H is out. The Z also supports SRT which may or may not be of importance to you, doubt it since you mentioned cheap, which automatically rules at SSDs :). Yes uATX boards are just smaller versions of ATX ones, they may not be quite as suitable for overclocking, though.

toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

Sorry for bumping, but I need this question answered. Thanks

As long as your psu and cooling are up to the job, and you know what your doing ofc, theres no reason 5Ghz isn't do-able,
its just not going to be as easy as 'press button A,done'
Best of luck whichever way you go man, and post back progress notes for us?
let us know how you fare :)
Moto