Would this work?

dankki

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Greetings.

Apologise if this is in the wrong sub-forum. But here we go. I'm doing a brand new rig. Everything new expect the hdd. It's a good 1TB WD hdd, 3months-ish old.
So: My HDD is divided to 3 parts. OS, Games, Stuff. The OS has STEAM etc, nothing really what I _NEED_. Games and stuff has everything copied what I would need (I do web developing). Would it be possible to format only the OS aka: Removing everything on the OS drive C:/ but still leave the games, stuff drive. As I don't really wanna copy 300gb of games etc to billion flash drives.

Any suqqestions how I could do this?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

You have 1 HDD with 3 partitions. the first partition (OS), has your operating system and steam.

You can reformat this partition without affecting the other two separate partitions.

However, you lose all your files when you reformat, or delete a partition, including the operating system. If you did that, you could have a newly formatted partition with nothing on it, which will not boot anymore, or if you deleted the partition, you would have Unallocate space at the beginning of the drive.

The reformatted partition would have to be given a different DriveLetter, like G or H, since you would have to use a separate Drive as your boot drive with a DriveLetter of C:\

dankki

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
I have windows 7 on a disk. So I could boot it up on the C:/ drive (the reformated one) and install a fresh windows on it?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Yes you could do that. Would need to be able to hold Win-7 (min 20GB, ideal > 60GB).
If you clean install Win-7, be sure you choose this partition, and not delete all partitions in the custom install which would delete the other two partitions giving you one large Unalloated space.