Sign in with
Your question

PSU for AM2 Socket

Last response: in Components
October 1, 2010 8:37:40 PM

My brother recently gave me a desktop pc. Its a single core AMD Athalon 64 with an AM2 socket. I needed a lan pc so i purchaced a GTS250 for it. The problem is when running at a high resolution the pc turns off. after i looked at the power supply i realized it was a 250 watt!!!!! so i didnt know if there was a special voltage i need to look for or anything. if i need an atx2.1 2.2 2.3? i dont know to much about all that stuff.

Can someone help me?

More about : psu am2 socket

Related resources
October 3, 2010 4:54:51 PM

I ll something fishy. THe antec PSU linked has a 69 Amps on the 3 12v rails, which means it produced 820 Watts just on the 12v, but is rated 550w overall. The continuous rating for the 12v is probably around 40 amps.

Typically this means that those are Maximum and not continuous ratings, but you only see this with lower rated hardware that tries to impress you with bigger numbers.

Its also not 80% certified.

Typically Antec is good brand, but I dont know why they would go ahead provide misinformation about the 12v rating.
a b ) Power supply
October 3, 2010 5:41:28 PM

vilenjan said:
I ll something fishy. THe antec PSU linked has a 69 Amps on the 3 12v rails, which means it produced 820 Watts just on the 12v, but is rated 550w overall. The continuous rating for the 12v is probably around 40 amps.

Typically this means that those are Maximum and not continuous ratings, but you only see this with lower rated hardware that tries to impress you with bigger numbers.

Its also not 80% certified.

Typically Antec is good brand, but I dont know why they would go ahead provide misinformation about the 12v rating.

You don't add the +12v rails. This is a typical FSP build (IIRC) where it has multiple extra large +12 rails to prevent overloading of a single rail.
It clearly states that the maximum combined load is 384W on the sticker.
October 4, 2010 2:05:48 AM

I ghly, highly doubt a PUS in this price range will 3 physical 12v rails. Its most likely a single 12 v rail that has been split for "safety" reasons.

For a 384 rating, it should have a combined 32A rating across the 12v rail(s).

Again I highly doubt this as 3 individual 12v rails.
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2010 2:15:07 AM

vilenjan said:
I ghly, highly doubt a PUS in this price range will 3 physical 12v rails. Its most likely a single 12 v rail that has been split for "safety" reasons.

For a 384 rating, it should have a combined 32A rating across the 12v rail(s).

Again I highly doubt this as 3 individual 12v rails.

The MSRP is $80, so its entirely possible. The BPs aren't very new and FSP loves doing different rails.
!