ASUS p8p67

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I'm not sure where this question should go because I have no idea what is causing this...
I'm posting in motherboards because I just upgraded to a P8P67 mobo (from the p8p67-m)

The issue I have found is that when I put the computer to sleep, if I press the power button to wake it, the fans power back on but nothing else turns on!
The light signifying the hard drive being active is absent, and the mouse and keyboard lights do not come on. It just sits there with all the fans running. I have to literally hold down the power button to shut the computer off.
Then upon turning it back on, it says "resuming windows" and all my programs and browsers are still as if just waking from sleep

What's going on? o_O

Why do you press the power button to wake the computer? Have you tried hitting enter or moving your mouse to wake it instead?

I'm thinking the computer is outsmarting you. It thinks your trying to hard power it off while it's in sleep mode and it's saying hey, I'm asleep, why are you pressing power?

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Tried this...
I thought it would work.... cause when I clicked the mouse, I saw a brief momentary flash from the HDD LED, but then it went away and the mouse/keyboard lights still absent

Is my hard drive crashing?
Maybe I'll go back to my default settings (non-overclocked) and see if this corrects it... perhaps the OC is crashing the startup upon waking from sleep

xlzhsteven

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
I have the same problem with my P8Z68 V-Pro board, if you look around at other websites, you will be there are lots of people who uses overclocked sandy bridge processor have the same issue, from my experience if you turn the clock back to normal setting, that is 3.3GHz for 2500k or 3.4GHz for 2600k the sleep/wake problem is solved.
Good luck

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

What BIOS version are you using? Asus has made significant upgrades and tweaks to the BIOS that have gotten rid of a number of weird issues. A good first step before entertaining any exotic tweaks on your own is to ensure that your BIOS is completely up-to-date.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Some have found that disabling internal PLL overvoltage on the P8P67 boards will fix come-back-from-sleep issues.

Does that fix your problem?

PS -- don't blame you for not finding that old thread -- it was just called "Cant come out of sleep" without noting what motherboard referenced. Would be nice if Tomshardware'ers named their question subjects in more detail.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Hrmmm
when I check where the PLL overvoltage is located it is on auto... however doing some reading, apparently auto = enabled

however, the bios says that enabling the PLL overvoltage is was allows "extreme overclocking" for K series cpus

has anyone encountered issues with overclocking while this is disabled?

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

Hrmmm it didn't work...
one thing I should mention is that even after hard restart (from failing to return from sleep), the system would resume to windows rather than a restart (as in my windows and programs are still open).

HOWEVER, since disabling the PLL Overvoltage, it's starting to have issues... when waking from sleep the system boots up and windows beings to resume, and then I get this:

The last attempt to resume the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to resume again?

1.Continue with system resume
2.Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu

If I choose to continue with system resume, the system hangs and then goes black followed by the monitor going to sleep, and the keyboard/mouse lose power as if the system is powered off (except the fans are still running). If I do a hard reset, it tries again to system resume and this continues until I pick "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu" in which the system starts a fresh (no system resume, all previous programs/windows aren't there)

Hope I explained this well enough...

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I'm not super-familiar with Windows 7 -- I haven't made the jump from XP yet. However, it sounds like you're not suspending the system to memory but instead suspending the system to the hard drive -- similar to the old "hibernate" feature in windows xp. Is that assumption correct?

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Upon setting everything back to factory defaults (no overclock), this has eliminated the problem with coming back from sleep mode...

o_O

not sure what I should do.... Went with the extra K series and bought the better board to overclock...kind of a waste!

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

That's what we're all hoping for -- did you update to the 16XX-series bios that Asus released on beta status over memorial day weekend? Maybe that did the trick. I have no idea, though...

TRENDING THREADS