Sign in with
Your question

Intel 755 Quad CPU upgrade choices for Asus P5B

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 1, 2010 9:53:23 PM

Hello,
I would like to upgrade and I can't decide what my best price vs performance upgrade choice will be. Really I have been looking for a side by side comparison of P965 boards with 8GB ram and Q9xxx chips running Windows 7 64bit vs. the new i3/i5/i7 systems. At what point should I scrap my old setup and buy a new one?...

I have:
Asus P5B Deluxe
Intel E6750
8GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 800
XFX GT240
3ware 9650SE PCI-E
Huge Supermicro case w/ 1000 watt Corsair PSU
Windows 7 64bit
Way too much storage.

I built the system in 2007 with 4GB of crappy ram, a smaller psu, a slower cpu, slower video card, etc, etc, etc.

Stock PSU died, replaced with new one.
Last year I upgraded the ram--Big improvement.
Got a free CPU upgrade from a system pull this year--No real improvement (E6600->E6750).
XFX video card began misbehaving a few months ago--Warranty replacement is actually an upgrade!

What I do with it:
When I work with big files they are usually in Illustrator CS5, Photoshop CS5, or Lightroom 3. The only game I ever play is Supreme Commander but that's rare. (SupCom is multi-threaded).

Has anyone had experience running FSB 1333 CPUs (Like the Q9xxx series) on this board? If I can get another 2 years out of this computer for ~$250 I would like to. I don't want to overclock because when it does come time to demote this from my regular computer I want to throw linux on it and keep using it until the P5B board finally craps out. Even when it's slow it will still be great file storage, DVR, etc., etc.

My choices as I see them:
Old generation Q6xxx or Q8xxx (eBay or discount online stores for ~$150) or newer Q9xxx for ~$250. What's the performance difference at stock settings?

Some of the high end Q9xxx chips get performance close to the mid range i5 and i7 chips but I'm not sure what performance I can expect on _my_ system. Any advice? Has anyone done it with a similar board (P965 series in general or Asus P5B specifically)?

I do want Quad. The latest Adobe apps are happy with more cores and Windows 7 has a lot of background services. Quad makes sense. Don't tell me your video games don't use it and I should just overclock and water cool and put blue LEDs all over it. My computer is a huge stack of hot-stop SATA hard drive in a huge black case attached to very long black cables, and my computer sits in a dark, cold closet someplace far-far-far from my desk. :-D
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 10:23:54 PM

P5B-Deluxe WiFi/AP here running a Q9650. I can help you out.

No problems at all running a Yorkfield for 1.5 years.

I posted my upgrade experience here after I first upgraded. Some corrections to my post on the above linked page:

I can run fine now set to "Auto" for the FSB setting and CPU voltage. It correctly runs at 333MHz and 1.25V, respectively, using the auto settings now. Also, with the FSB set to auto, my voltage drops to 1.10V like it is supposed to when SpeedStep kicks in.

I don't know why there were a few tiny quirks at first, I think some of the BIOS settings for the previous CPU were 'sticky'. But now the motherboard runs great without having to set BIOS parameters manually. Maybe I forgot to clear the CMOS after the CPU upgrade. It has been rock solid stable. If you need any benchmark numbers, just let me know.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 11:28:32 PM

Honestly you might want think about jump to AMD.

A 955BE which is generally on par with a Q9550, can be had for $130 new, with a $70 770 AM2+ board you get a fresh platform for less than what you spend on a Q9XXX alone.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 11:56:42 PM

The P5B does not like 8 Gig of RAM over DDR2 800 with a 1333 CPU. If you are running a 1333 CPU and 8 Gig you need to run it at 667.I went to 8 Gig of DDR2-1000 and a X3350(Q9450) CPU and if I set the RAM over 700ish it would flake out. Because the P5B Deluxe along with every other P965 Chipset does not go over tRFC of 42 and puts too much stress on the Northbridge at higher speeds.

The only thing is the board runs at "Overclock Mode" The RAM deviders run off 1066(266) FBS IE: if you install a 1333 (333) FBS CPU the lowest RAM available will be 667 not 533.

I had no problem with the X3350 and 8 Gig at stock speed with the RAM at 667. I wanted to overclock and run the RAM at the DDR2-1000 speeds so thats why I went to the Rampage Formula

If you are not going to overclock and keep the RAM at 667 you can run the P5B Deluxe with a 1333 CPU and 8 Gig of RAM.
m
l
October 9, 2010 1:51:02 AM

1haplo said:
The P5B does not like 8 Gig of RAM over DDR2 800 with a 1333 CPU. If you are running a 1333 CPU and 8 Gig you need to run it at 667.I went to 8 Gig of DDR2-1000 and a X3350(Q9450) CPU and if I set the RAM over 700ish it would flake out. Because the P5B Deluxe along with every other P965 Chipset does not go over tRFC of 42 and puts too much stress on the Northbridge at higher speeds.

The only thing is the board runs at "Overclock Mode" The RAM deviders run off 1066(266) FBS IE: if you install a 1333 (333) FBS CPU the lowest RAM available will be 667 not 533.

I had no problem with the X3350 and 8 Gig at stock speed with the RAM at 667. I wanted to overclock and run the RAM at the DDR2-1000 speeds so thats why I went to the Rampage Formula

If you are not going to overclock and keep the RAM at 667 you can run the P5B Deluxe with a 1333 CPU and 8 Gig of RAM.

I think you just explained a few problems I've been having since my "free" upgrade to the E6750. Nothing is free....

If this fixes the problems I'll consider the upgrade again. That does sound like a nice upgrade after all. And pretty cheap...

I will keep the memory running at 667 and see how that works. If it corrects my intermittent problems (Sometimes it refuses to power up!) then I'll consider the upgrade. This only started a few days ago but it doesn't bode well. It started, oddly enough, right after playing Supreme Commander. This last week I've been playing video games for the first time in a few years. My computer doesn't seem to like it anymore. It locked up once and since then twice hasn't powered up normally. Shoot. To get it working again I reset the cmos. So far I've been running everything in AUTO settings but now I've forced my ram down to 667. Maybe that helps... Years of stability and I hope it comes back....
m
l
!