stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Hello all, had a quick issue i need to address. I know that booting up in AHCI mode gives you more performance than IDE in SSD's, but my pc can't seem to boot when I make the switch in my BIOS. It loads fine when I have it on IDE, but when I switch to AHCI and save the setting, I get a black screen with the white line at the top left. Here are pics of the bios and the black screen? Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

BIOS:
RWTsS.jpg

Black Screen:
q6jTs.jpg

Solution
did you try this microsoft fix it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
the first six sata ports are connected to intel or AMD chipset ,the additional sata ports use 3rd party controller,most motherboards don't have the additional 2-4 3rd party sata ports,if your motherboard has more than 6 ports then the last sata ports use 3rd party controller.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
You have to change settings in the windows registry if you do an install with IDE mode then change to AHCI later.
Here ya go:
1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot Rig and enter BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

To change the sata type you need to reinstall your OS on the new type. Or change it back to IED then do what memadmax suggested, then you need not reinstall your os, and boot up OS under AHCI MODE,

Note: This method only works in Windows 7, Windows XP could not support.
If your CPU is based on AMD platform, you need to do another step, download the “AMD RAIDXpert” from AMD official website, then log in it and turn on NCQ mode. This is important.
If your CPU is based on Intel platform, you need no to do this, the NCQ mode is turned on autonomic when you change ide to ahci and install the latest driver of motherboard.

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

how can I tell the difference between intel and 3rd party ports?

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

No worries, but yes I went to the BIOSTAR website and found my mobo on there. I checked the downloads section and my bios is up to date. I'm just wondering now if maybe i have the ssd plugged into a 3rd party port. How can i tell the difference between 3rd party and intel?

stevan6

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Well i tried the fix it one more time and for some reason it works this time lol. Thank you guys for all your help i really appreciate it. Here's to a solid 5 seconds knocked off my boot time!

-Stevan