Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Issue with AHCI mode

Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2012 7:58:38 PM

Hello all, had a quick issue i need to address. I know that booting up in AHCI mode gives you more performance than IDE in SSD's, but my pc can't seem to boot when I make the switch in my BIOS. It loads fine when I have it on IDE, but when I switch to AHCI and save the setting, I get a black screen with the white line at the top left. Here are pics of the bios and the black screen? Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

BIOS:

Black Screen:

More about : issue ahci mode

October 14, 2012 8:00:45 PM

Did you install windows under IDE or AHCI
m
l
a b G Storage
October 14, 2012 8:01:19 PM

You have to change settings in the windows registry if you do an install with IDE mode then change to AHCI later.
Here ya go:
1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot Rig and enter BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 1:12:37 AM

I changed the value from 3 to 0, rebooted to BIOS, changed SATA config to AHCI, and still no results. I get the same black screen. Can it be anything else?
m
l
October 15, 2012 10:07:21 PM

no lie this is half meant for a bump but I tried it again with the MS fix it program (same thing essentially) but still nothing. Can someone please help?
m
l
October 15, 2012 10:25:37 PM

If memadmax advice didn't help you, backup your data then reinstall windows under AHCI mode.
m
l
a c 125 G Storage
October 15, 2012 11:10:31 PM

check that you have the newest bios for the mb?? that your using the onboard intel sata ports and not the 3 party sata ports??
m
l
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 1:44:01 AM

stevan6 said:
Hello all, had a quick issue i need to address. I know that booting up in AHCI mode gives you more performance than IDE in SSD's, but my pc can't seem to boot when I make the switch in my BIOS. It loads fine when I have it on IDE, but when I switch to AHCI and save the setting, I get a black screen with the white line at the top left. Here are pics of the bios and the black screen? Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

BIOS:
http://i.imgur.com/RWTsS.jpg?1

Black Screen:
http://i.imgur.com/q6jTs.jpg?1

To change the sata type you need to reinstall your OS on the new type. Or change it back to IED then do what memadmax suggested, then you need not reinstall your os, and boot up OS under AHCI MODE,

Note: This method only works in Windows 7, Windows XP could not support.
If your CPU is based on AMD platform, you need to do another step, download the “AMD RAIDXpert” from AMD official website, then log in it and turn on NCQ mode. This is important.
If your CPU is based on Intel platform, you need no to do this, the NCQ mode is turned on autonomic when you change ide to ahci and install the latest driver of motherboard.
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:53:20 AM

smorizio said:
check that you have the newest bios for the mb?? that your using the onboard intel sata ports and not the 3 party sata ports??

how can I tell the difference between intel and 3rd party ports?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 17, 2012 10:59:35 AM

Hey steven, sorry I didn't get back to you.
It sounds like your bios may be the culprit then.
Have you checked for an update?
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:57:00 PM

memadmax said:
Hey steven, sorry I didn't get back to you.
It sounds like your bios may be the culprit then.
Have you checked for an update?

No worries, but yes I went to the BIOSTAR website and found my mobo on there. I checked the downloads section and my bios is up to date. I'm just wondering now if maybe i have the ssd plugged into a 3rd party port. How can i tell the difference between 3rd party and intel?
m
l

Best solution

October 17, 2012 9:49:00 PM

did you try this microsoft fix it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
the first six sata ports are connected to intel or AMD chipset ,the additional sata ports use 3rd party controller,most motherboards don't have the additional 2-4 3rd party sata ports,if your motherboard has more than 6 ports then the last sata ports use 3rd party controller.
October 18, 2012 5:20:41 AM

Best answer selected by stevan6.
m
l
October 18, 2012 5:21:48 AM

Well i tried the fix it one more time and for some reason it works this time lol. Thank you guys for all your help i really appreciate it. Here's to a solid 5 seconds knocked off my boot time!

-Stevan
m
l
October 18, 2012 5:26:41 AM

By the by is this a good benchmark for my ssd? It's a kingston hyperX 3 120gb.

m
l
!