Sign in with
Your question

Monitor not detecting semi-new graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2010 10:28:43 PM

Hello,
My brother recently ran into a problem with his computer. His computer is pretty old (like 5 years.) It has an AMD Anthlon 64 3200+ (2.0 GHz Dual Core, pretty old), a Gigabyte mobo (can't find the name anywhere, but it is old), and a Nvidia GTX 260. We replaced the old 7900 GS when it broke about 4 months ago. The computer has run fine with the 260 since then, but now, whenever I start the computer, the monitor will not detect the signal. BIOS does not beep and never has, so that isn't the problem. I assume since the graphics card is not even half a year old that That isn't the problem. I've tried replacing the cord, and hooking the monitor up to my computer, so I know that neither of those are the problems. I guess it is either the 260, or, more likely, the mobo. I've tried resetting the BIOS/CMOS battery. The computer runs windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit, upgraded from xp about a week ago. Any thoughts?
June 21, 2010 11:34:25 PM

The next logical step would be to swap your 275 with his 260 to see whether its the graphics card. If not, its either the mobo, or just the graphic card was pushed out of the socket due to heat etc.
m
l
June 23, 2010 2:59:20 AM

I fixed it, thanks.
As it turns out, all I did was take out the cables connecting to the card and re entered them, though one of them does look like it is partially broken, which may have caused my problem.
m
l
!