Solved

Issue loading OS after installing 4th hard drive

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2012 8:54:00 PM

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help with this issue I can't seem to resolve it myself.

I have just installed my fourth hard drive. When I try to fire up the desktop it gets to the "Loading Operating System..." screen and it never ends up loading.

Upon disconnecting any of the other drives it seems to load just fine. My motherboard allows for 5 Sata III drives.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I would appreciate any insight.

Here is some more info on the desktop:

Mobo: Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
Processor: Intel i5
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB)
Hard drives: (1) 500gb Seagate 3gb/s, (1 well 2 now with new one) 3TB Western Digital 6gb/s, (1) 1TB Seagate 3gb/s
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

I'll provide other details if needed.

Thanks in advance

More about : issue loading installing 4th hard drive

Best solution

a c 93 G Storage
October 14, 2012 9:05:42 PM

kapasin said:
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help with this issue I can't seem to resolve it myself.

I have just installed my fourth hard drive. When I try to fire up the desktop it gets to the "Loading Operating System..." screen and it never ends up loading.

Upon disconnecting any of the other drives it seems to load just fine. My motherboard allows for 5 Sata III drives.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I would appreciate any insight.

Here is some more info on the desktop:

Mobo: Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
Processor: Intel i5
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB)
Hard drives: (1) 500gb Seagate 3gb/s, (1 well 2 now with new one) 3TB Western Digital 6gb/s, (1) 1TB Seagate 3gb/s
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

I'll provide other details if needed.

Thanks in advance

This can sometimes happen if there's a bootloader on the disk that you just inserted. It could be that your PC is loading an OS on that drive and not an OS from your OS drive. To see if this is the case, use the boot menu to forcibly boot from the correct partition.

This can also happen when a hard drive is damaged.
October 14, 2012 9:27:31 PM

Thanks, for some reason it shuffled the boot order after installing it. Thats all it was. I'm a dummy.
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2012 9:27:45 PM

Best answer selected by kapasin.
m
l
a c 93 G Storage
October 14, 2012 9:32:56 PM

kapasin said:
Thanks, for some reason it shuffled the boot order after installing it. Thats all it was. I'm a dummy.

That'll happen. I've had more than a few boards where the SATA ports are simply out of order. That's what happens when motherboard manufacturers reuse code for decades
m
l
!