Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Change motherboard required to install os again ?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 22, 2011 3:27:31 PM

hi all, im planning to change my motherboard,,
what im asking is if i change my motherboard then i have to install all the application and os again ?
thank you so much....

More about : change motherboard required install

May 22, 2011 3:59:40 PM

If your new motherboard has the same chipset as your old motherboard then you don't have to re-install your OS, but if it is different, then yeah, unfortunately you should reinstall
m
l
May 22, 2011 4:11:13 PM

so if reinstall do i have to format the hard disk first or i just can reinstall and not delete the other application ?
m
l
Related resources
May 22, 2011 4:27:14 PM

You don't have to format in order to reinstall the same OS, but having a fresh OS on a fresh partition is like buying new underwear... It just makes you feel good all over :) 
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
May 22, 2011 11:11:20 PM

You can try to use the existing drive with the new motherboard. I estimate your chances of success at around 1 in 3.

What I suggest is to get a new hard drive and reinstall the OS on it. Then use the old drive for secondary storage. A fresh install is a great way to clean out a lot of junk.
m
l
May 24, 2011 8:56:30 AM

"what im asking is if i change my motherboard then i have to install all the application and os again ?"

If your OS is Windows then yes (even the same chipset can cause trouble because there's always one driver that doesn't wanna play nice), if your OS is linux then no, you don't have to.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2011 6:23:44 PM

I found a procedure online to "genericize" a Windows XP install before a motherboard change. In anticipation of receiving a P8P67 today, I "genericized" my windows install before leaving for work today. I don't know if it will work, but will try it out tonight and post the link to the procedures and let you know if it works.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2011 5:44:19 PM

TommyV said:
If your new motherboard has the same chipset as your old motherboard then you don't have to re-install your OS, but if it is different, then yeah, unfortunately you should reinstall

This is incorrect and unnecessary.

I can report back that I successfully upgraded my motherboard from an old Pentium 4 box with a proprietary board to a P8P67 last night without reinstalling windows. It worked perfectly. Here is the procedure I used.

The gist is to, before you do the upgrade, remove all the drivers associated with your old motherboard. The most important ones are the hard drive controllers. You have to get rid of those.

The article is a little vague about it, saying "replace your onboard storage controller with 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.'" It wasn't exactly clear how you would do that from the article, but I kind of guessed my way through it. Here is how you "replace your onboard storage controller with the 'standard dual channel pci ide controller.'":

1) Open Control Panel

2) Go to System

3) Open up the Device Manager under the Hardware tab

4) Pop down to your IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers section and right click on each of your ata drivers and hit properties.

5) On the driver tab, hit "rollback driver."

After you do that, it should say "standard dual channel pci ide controller" or something of the like. Do that for all the specialized controllers in that section of the device manager -- by specialized, those identified as being put out by Intel or nVidia or whoever designed your chipset.

Good luck! Report back if you can make it work.
June 30, 2011 2:58:40 PM

Best answer selected by johnthesmilers.
m
l
June 30, 2011 2:59:16 PM

thank you fullofzen
it works...
sorry for the late reply...thank you
m
l
September 14, 2011 6:36:05 PM

Hi there,

if my old mother board already damaged, how am i to do the method you have mentioned ?

Any other solution for my problem ?

thanks

fullofzen said:
This is incorrect and unnecessary.

I can report back that I successfully upgraded my motherboard from an old Pentium 4 box with a proprietary board to a P8P67 last night without reinstalling windows. It worked perfectly. Here is the procedure I used.

The gist is to, before you do the upgrade, remove all the drivers associated with your old motherboard. The most important ones are the hard drive controllers. You have to get rid of those.

The article is a little vague about it, saying "replace your onboard storage controller with 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.'" It wasn't exactly clear how you would do that from the article, but I kind of guessed my way through it. Here is how you "replace your onboard storage controller with the 'standard dual channel pci ide controller.'":

1) Open Control Panel

2) Go to System

3) Open up the Device Manager under the Hardware tab

4) Pop down to your IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers section and right click on each of your ata drivers and hit properties.

5) On the driver tab, hit "rollback driver."

After you do that, it should say "standard dual channel pci ide controller" or something of the like. Do that for all the specialized controllers in that section of the device manager -- by specialized, those identified as being put out by Intel or nVidia or whoever designed your chipset.

Good luck! Report back if you can make it work.

m
l