Antec Lanboy Air Forum Review

Tags:
  • Antec
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 2, 2010 1:37:44 AM

Lanboy Air

So I got my case yesterday and I decided to tear it apart I just wanted to post a few pictures to get this started there will be more pics and more of my thoughts on it later.

This is how it looks straight out of the box. Only thing I did was take the thin plastic protectors off.

Top of the case is plexiglass that is tinted black it has mounting holes for a pretty nice size rad on top.

Heres the two USB and the one USB 3 Reset switch on the left and power on the right. Mine came with the reset switch a little bit recessed not sure if it is supposed to be like that from other pictures I look at I don't see it recessed.

Here it is with all the no tool screws out 15 in total, 7 on each side and 1 for the power supply tray.

On the front bottom beneath the two fans it has a spare screw box so you will always have every screw for the case wherever you bring it. Really cool!! I know me the screws would normally go in a draw and get lost when I need them so this is very smart move by Antec considering the amount of screws.

Ok I tore it down to this point to give you an idea what it looks like. It took maybe 6 minutes with a screw driver to get to this point. For anyone getting this case the screws are really small for most of the case so if you got big fingers like me you won't be tearing it down like this too often.

Ok this is all I can do before work more to come tomorrow night.

More about : antec lanboy air forum review

October 4, 2010 7:14:57 PM

Sorry it took a few days but I finally had time to work on it some more today. I am putting my parts from my spare rig to test it out since I have a feeling I will be taking this thing apart a few times to try different configurations with it.

The cable management was pretty easy plenty of room to hide mostly everything behind the motherboard, you can see some wires from that side of the case but nothing too noticeable unless you are looking for it. I didn't have a chance to take all the pictures due to time constraints from the wife lol she gets jealous but, I will try to keep updating this thread as much as possible.

The case has more then enough room for just about anything you want to put in it. The LanBoy has a new top-to-bottom mesh construction for extensive air ventilation and has an entirely reconfigurable interior with 11 total drive bays (including nine modular bays to accommodate six internal 3.5” drives and three external 5.25” drives.) The 3.5” drives also take
advantage of Antec’s exclusive AirMount™ suspension mounting system, which uses elastic cords to
suspend hard drives in the drive bays, reducing vibration and increasing ease of use. Additionally, the
5.25” and 3.5” drive bays can be easily configured in three horizontal orientations: facing the front, right
or left to accommodate users’ desired chassis arrangements.

The chassis is cooled by five fans with space to mount up to 15 fans total. The fans are positioned to
create positive air pressure, bringing cool air in and around hard drives and graphics cards, and expelling
hot air and dust through the chassis’ perforated panels.

I put my older socket 775 system in there to test it out and noticed a 4 to 8 degree drop in temperatures across the board this system was previously in a Antec Three Hundred. Only time will tell though to see if this system gets dusty or not Antec says with all the fans blowing will help keep dust from settling and essentially just be blown out of the case. Only time will tell to see how well this idea works.

All around I am really pleased with this case it was a dream to setup and fun also. Antec really thought out every part of this case and it shows this case is very well constructed and solid as a rock I bet I could drop it off my roof and it would still be pretty together. The only proble I really had was those little screws got annoying with my big fingers but, well worth the trouble IMO. If anyone else has gotten this case I would love to see what you do with it please post some pictures for all to see this cool case. I will try to upload more photos later tonight when its darker it looks really cool in the dark.
m
l
October 4, 2010 8:32:01 PM

Would you drop 200 on one? That's what newegg has them priced at?
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2010 10:50:43 PM

ScoobyJooby-Jew said:
Would you drop 200 on one? That's what newegg has them priced at?

Would I drop $200 on this case? Probably not only reason I say that is because I am not a kid and this is defintely a case for the younger crowd. Still its a very very cool case and would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a cool gaming case and is wiling to spend that kind of money on it.

I couldn't see myself spending more then $150 on a case. I am also not the biggest PC gamer I like to play games but, that is not my primary use for any of my systems.

My favorite style of case is the likes of the Antec P193 or the Sonatas are some really nice cases.

P193

Sonata Elite

I have the Sonata Elite for my wifes case and I think my next case I buy will be the P193.
m
l
October 7, 2010 6:43:26 PM

I just wonder where the PSU fan is pointing to? From the pictures, I don't know if it is pointing downward or to the inside of the case. Anyhow, great pictures overall, and thanks for sharing.

Ciao!
m
l
October 7, 2010 11:47:37 PM

Thanks for sharing, case seems too flashy for my taste but it is always nice to see it taken apart! :-)
The P193 I can recommend for sure - plenty of room, very quiet, easy on my OCD as cables are easy to route and it fits the CP850 from Antec which comes highly reviewed (sorry no linkies as I am on my phone).. One thing to be aware of is height of HS, there are limits!
m
l
October 8, 2010 12:29:02 AM

orestesdd said:
I just wonder where the PSU fan is pointing to? From the pictures, I don't know if it is pointing downward or to the inside of the case. Anyhow, great pictures overall, and thanks for sharing.

Ciao!

I have the power supply fan facing down it made no sense to me to have it facing up. My temperatures are all fine and haven't seen a problem with it yet.
m
l
October 8, 2010 12:54:19 AM

AMW1011 said:
If you like the Sonata and Performance One series I recommend you look at these:

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&...
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&...

Can only be purchased through NCIX for US customers sadly, but they are amazing cases.

Those are some OK cases I guess I never had one so can't tell you how good they are I have only just seen pictures of their cases and from what I see that they are a little cheap looking just my opinion and maybe if I saw one in person my thoughts would be different. Lian Li also has some really great cases I love smooth lines with no obstructions and lights.

m
l
October 8, 2010 6:06:57 AM

saaiello said:
Those are some OK cases I guess I never had one so can't tell you how good they are I have only just seen pictures of their cases and from what I see that they are a little cheap looking just my opinion and maybe if I saw one in person my thoughts would be different. Lian Li also has some really great cases I love smooth lines with no obstructions and lights.

Well from the reviews and what I've read, which is a pretty good amount, the build quality is pretty good, no worse than Antec or Cooler Master, but the metal can be thin in places. However, when some complain about the thinness of the metal they forget that there is a very hard 2mm thick sound dampening panel on the inside surface of almost all of the case so it is actually very sturdy. Also, the cooling is supposed to be great and very efficient. I've seen people get Antec 900 cooling with a similar fan setup, but with all the fans pushing much less air than the Antec 900's stock ones and being very quiet still.

If I couldn't have afforded my FT02, the absolute best air cooling case on the market for cooling and/or silence, I would have gotten a Fractal.
m
l
October 8, 2010 7:56:00 PM

saaiello said:
I have the power supply fan facing down it made no sense to me to have it facing up. My temperatures are all fine and haven't seen a problem with it yet.

Thanks. I always like my PSU fan facing downward, but some Antec cases almost forces the builder to have it facing towards the inside of the case. Great review.
m
l
October 8, 2010 8:42:34 PM

AMW1011 said:
Well from the reviews and what I've read, which is a pretty good amount, the build quality is pretty good, no worse than Antec or Cooler Master, but the metal can be thin in places. However, when some complain about the thinness of the metal they forget that there is a very hard 2mm thick sound dampening panel on the inside surface of almost all of the case so it is actually very sturdy. Also, the cooling is supposed to be great and very efficient. I've seen people get Antec 900 cooling with a similar fan setup, but with all the fans pushing much less air than the Antec 900's stock ones and being very quiet still.

If I couldn't have afforded my FT02, the absolute best air cooling case on the market for cooling and/or silence, I would have gotten a Fractal.

With all six fans going at full tilt it can get a little loud but with everything on its lowest settings its no louder then my Antec three hundred or my Cooler Master something Elite both with half the fans this has and this case keeps everything almose 3 to 5 degrees cooler :) . I saw tech specs on the fans that came with it but I can't seem to find them at the moment but these are not the normal Antec fans I don't think. I believe they are new design because they are a lot quieter then the fans that came with the three hundred at least it sounds quieter to me.
m
l
November 6, 2010 8:00:00 PM

im thinking about getting this case. is it worth it compared to the antec 1200?
m
l
November 6, 2010 9:48:20 PM

I recommend the RV02 or FT02 instead. Both steadily outperform an Antec 1200, they look better, are better quality, and are very quiet despite having class leading cooling.
m
l
November 6, 2010 10:03:58 PM

AMW1011 said:
I recommend the RV02 or FT02 instead. Both steadily outperform an Antec 1200, they look better, are better quality, and are very quiet despite having class leading cooling.

are they better then the lanboy?
m
l
November 7, 2010 1:36:56 AM

keith808 said:
are they better then the lanboy?

Hard to say since there isn't much data on the Lanboy AIR, but from initial reports it doesn't seem that great. Quantity of fans does not mean quality of cooling. For example, the FT02/RV02 are neck and neck with the Cooler Master HAF X, and beat it out when you have multiple GPUs.

I would say, go with the FT02/RV02 now. Quite simply, you can't really get much better with aircooling, because it will never go below ambient room temperature, yet the FT02/RV02 gets as close as I've yet seen in a case.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/08/12/silve...

With more GPUs, or hotter GPUs (IE Fermi), they will outpace the others even more.
m
l
November 7, 2010 5:20:25 AM

Yes that is true with casing, quantity of fans does not mean good cooling - I usually replace fans with better ones. But I am particular with casing looks I got a Lanboy AIR, Cooler Master Sniper and Corsair 600T all of them good.
m
l
November 7, 2010 6:13:34 AM

AMW1011 said:
Hard to say since there isn't much data on the Lanboy AIR, but from initial reports it doesn't seem that great. Quantity of fans does not mean quality of cooling. For example, the FT02/RV02 are neck and neck with the Cooler Master HAF X, and beat it out when you have multiple GPUs.

I would say, go with the FT02/RV02 now. Quite simply, you can't really get much better with aircooling, because it will never go below ambient room temperature, yet the FT02/RV02 gets as close as I've yet seen in a case.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/08/12/silve...

With more GPUs, or hotter GPUs (IE Fermi), they will outpace the others even more.

would a asus crosshair iv with crossfire xfx 5850 cards fit in side since the tray is 90 degrees rotated?
m
l
November 7, 2010 6:25:57 AM

keith808 said:
would a asus crosshair iv with crossfire xfx 5850 cards fit in side since the tray is 90 degrees rotated?

Your motherboard is the standard ATX size, so it will fit with room to spare. The cases will take any GPU out at the moment, even the 5970 which is the longest.
m
l
December 29, 2010 12:13:06 AM

Hi all its been a while since I have posted and I wanted to give an update on the Lanboy. After 2 months of use I would have to say I still like this case it keeps my system running very cool and has plenty of space and options for configurations to satisfy any setup you can think up. The case has been surprisingly pretty clean dust build up is minimal. The inside of the case seems to stay cleaner due to the positive pressure of the fans. The only cleaning that I needed to do was the front and side grills where the fans are besides that no other other dust build up at all.

My only complaint is all the screws that are used they are small and there must be over 100 screws used. I would still give this case a recommendation for anyone building a serious multiple GPU system.
m
l
January 26, 2011 12:17:09 PM

So for two months I had kept the case with all the fans blowing in and temps were OK, but were not what I call great. I recently decided to move some fans around in the front I moved one of the fans to the top and I made the rear fan an exhaust where it used to be intake my CPU and motherboard temps dropped about 8C across the board. Dust buildup is still very minimal in my case and am still happy with the case.

Thanks Antec
m
l
March 31, 2011 4:08:18 AM

I would say with the sparse amount of internals you have this case is fine. I've seen probably 8 reviews of this case and in NONE of them were they able to use 15 fans 11 was the max. Did a build in one last month(couldn't talk a client out of it). If you have a very minimal rig you can scrape by with this tho there are MANY lesser priced higher quality alternatives. Those 16 thumbscrews that are odd lengths suck if you like to tinker and lose one and you have to get replacements from Antec. Maybe you have a screen mesh and plastic fetish who am I to judge?
My money would be on a lian li or silverstone tho corsair has some decent cases of course this is air cooling if your going to run a single or double loop you probably want more room a cheap roomy case for water would be the 1200. You saw this case you liked it. That's what's important nothing else. You have to live with it not me. That being said, my opinion would be, you could of done much better.
m
l
March 31, 2011 4:45:52 AM

Quote:
has plenty of space and options for configurations to satisfy any setup you can think up
I run a crossfire gpu solution with 5 hd's a ssd a blueray player/burner a dvd/cd burner,5 fans, a custom fan controller,2 sunlight sticks on bulgin 22mm latch switches, a Scythe Mugen rv 2 heatsink, and an el wire window mod. This is a conservative enthusiast rig. It would be a train wreck in a Lanboy. I am not bashing on Antec as I currently have this rig housed in a 902. I'll be replacing the case this month after which I'll be modding the 902 with a hd cage mod(search antec 1200 cage mod on youtube) and a window mod. The Lanboy has many new features it just seems they could of been fleshed out a bit better. Antec took two steps backwards from the 900-1200 series in which there are generally agreed upon three flaws 1. The lack of feasible cable management for the hd cages without modding. 2. The "birdcage" side panel window. 3. Accessing fan filters.
One of the best reviews of this case from an enthusiast viewpoint is on MNPCTech's website in the Mod Men serieas.
m
l
March 31, 2011 1:33:54 PM

I agree with you 100% the lanboy has some flaws it was my understanding when this case came out that there was gonna be add on kits for it which I guess got abandoned or just have not been released yet. Cable management is a horror show I agree the cables barely fit behind the motherboard tray and if you have it with that side of the case showing its rather ugly being able tosee all those cables also my problem with the cables being squeezed in that small space there is the side of the case bulges quite a bit from them. As most Antec cases it is very flashy and IMO ugly as hell. It does however keep everything really cool and dust inside the case is not as bad as you would think it would be. As for putting 11 fans in it I see no need for it with the open air design 4 good fans especially the Antec fans they provide are more then enough.
m
l
March 31, 2011 3:08:39 PM

Saai,
You are an honest man. A rare thing in this day and age. Keep us in the loop on your lanboy experiences if you come accross any handy mods maybe stop by and give us a link. Personally I'd like to hear how this case stands up over time and I'd REALLY like to see any utility type mods (cable management/etc.).
Before I go I'd like to say thank you for staying on point with your thread. It's refreshing to see someone who doesn't just post " OH NOES" and never posts back.
As to my endeavors with the 902 maybe I can work out a way to host some start to finish photos etc. I'm relatively new to posting and forums but I like to give a solid opine or to lend a hand where I can I'll stay on it, you do the same, we'll both be better for it. :)  Thanks agin!
m
l
June 26, 2011 12:45:11 PM

I am looking at upgrading to this case, Currently I have the NZXT and am getting tired of the dust issues. I am running a crosshair formula 3 motherboard with the noctua NH-D14, and am a little nervouse that the cooler will not fit. Anyone think I will have a problem with it?
m
l
June 26, 2011 3:09:16 PM

Lanboy is a dust nightmare. Hit Performance pc and buy some filters? It'll save you money and a ton of time.
m
l
July 13, 2011 6:10:06 AM

Im going to be getting this case and the noctua nh-d14 case, anybody know for sure it will fit
m
l
July 31, 2011 8:17:47 AM

I just installed mine, it fits, but you cannot put fans in the top section.
m
l
November 27, 2011 12:24:26 AM

i wonder if being so open limits cooling capabilities, because there is not a defined, directional flow where air difidently flows in the front and out the back, or something or other, where air almost blows over components. this case might not direct the flow where it needs to go, a large percentage could go in the front and out the side, missing hardware.

any truth to my theory?
m
l