Solved

Which PSU is better?

I'm planing to upgrade my video card pretty soon to a GTX 460, but first I want to get a PSU, here are my computer's specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ 90nm (planing to upgrade to a phenom II dual core in the not so near future, I think these consume less power than 90nm athlons but I'm not an expert)
4GB DDR2
1 DVD Burner
1 HDD
And here are the two PSUs I'm looking at, the reviews on both look good but I'd like a second opinion:
LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK 575W ATX12V SLI Ready Power Supply

hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Cord Included

I know the second one only has one pci-e connection but I don't mind getting a molex to pci-e adapter.
26 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which better
  1. Both are bad.

Youd rather get this 430W Corsair for $26AR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139017&cm_re=Corsair_PSU-_-17-139-017-_-Product

However that is not a balanced computer, the Athlon is going to bottleneck the 460 by quite a bit.
  2. Don't cheap out on the psu buy a well regarded model from a quality manufacturer.
    I would buy this if budget is tight.
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W -$59.99/$49.99 after mir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
  3. Do you think 430 W would be enough to power the system I want? I think there must be something I don't know about PSUs.

Yeah I was pretty sure the Athlon wouldn't let the 460 GTX reach its full potential but thats why I'll upgrade to a Phenom II after I upgrade the video card.
  4. Best answer
    Jorge89 said:
    Do you think 430 W would be enough to power the system I want? I think there must be something I don't know about PSUs.

Yeah I was pretty sure the Athlon wouldn't let the 460 GTX reach its full potential but thats why I'll upgrade to a Phenom II after I upgrade the video card.

The 460 uses 150W, and your whole system should not peak over 300W on full load.

But I think you should wait. What GPU do you have now?
    Since you're going to be held back anyways, Its pretty smart to wait for the HD6000s that's slated to be released in a month at the most and upgrade both at the same time.
  5. For PSU, overall watt is not every thing. +12V output current is important.

In general, 430w is OK.

Does your motherboard support Phenom II?
  6. Timop said:
    The 460 uses 150W, and your whole system should not peak over 300W on full load.

But I think you should wait. What GPU do you have now?
    Since you're going to be held back anyways, Its pretty smart to wait for the HD6000s that's slated to be released in a month at the most and upgrade both at the same time.

I have a really old 8400 GS with 512 RAM and OCed to GPU- 675 MHz, Memory-441MHz and Shader-1674. How much are those HD6ks going to be? I dont want to spend much more than $200 on the video card.
  7. ssshjp said:
    For PSU, overall watt is not every thing. +12V output current is important.

In general, 430w is OK.

Does your motherboard support Phenom II?

No, I'm going to have to get a new motherboard when I upgrade my cpu.
  8. Jorge89 said:
    I have a really old 8400 GS with 512 RAM and OCed to GPU- 675 MHz, Memory-441MHz and Shader-1674. How much are those HD6ks going to be? I dont want to spend much more than $200 on the video card.

Its going to be tiered, but the first ones to be released are probably going to be ~$200 GTX460 competitors.
  9. Timop said:
    Its going to be tiered, but the first ones to be released are probably going to be ~$200 GTX460 competitors.

I guess I'll wait untill then and see what happens, thanks for the info.
    Will the HD6ks have the same power requirements? should I also wait to get a new psu?
  10. 430W should still be okay, but PSU prices aren't going to rise soon and you might as well as wait and grab one for the cheap on black friday.
  11. Timop said:
    430W should still be okay, but PSU prices aren't going to rise soon and you might as well as wait and grab one for the cheap on black friday.

I didn't know newegg had black friday sales :o I'm learning a lot of new things today :D
  12. Jorge89 said:
    I didn't know newegg had black friday sales :o I'm learning a lot of new things today :D

ummm

Alll electronic websites do...

Heck I can't think of a place that does NOT have black friday deals.
  13. either way, dont get one of the PSU's you first suggested, they are crap, and will not supply their rated power. It is most likely a PEAK rated power that they can produce for a brief period of time, or in some cases a made up number that they stick on there. Definately not good for a gtx460. The 430w corsair already puts out more amps (28A) on the 12v rail than the logisys 575w (25A). Dont ask me how these guys get away with blatently false advertising when it comes to PSU's still. Makes me angry!
  14. Jorge89 said:
    I think there must be something I don't know about PSUs.

There's a lot you don't know about PSUs.

I recommend buying the Corsair 550VX as suggested in one of the above posts. It's $50 after a $10 mail-in rebate and $2 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

It is built by CWT which has a reputation for building good quality PSUs. Corsair also has some PSU models manufactured by Seasonic which as an excellent reputation for building high quality PSUs.
  15. All PSU's have been manufactored to be set at a certain test load limit, weather its been made by seasonic or huntkey. Both have been tested to produce what they say on the label.

People over work the "good" PSU's when there is no need. I say this tiem and time again, but you get the hype and the moaning of ohh you dont know hat your on about bumh..

The first you posted should work fine with a GTX460. If it Sli's ready then it has been tested for the sli load amout of pwoer it needs to produce.

I had a Huntkey PSU running a GTX470 for months and worked fine, i had no crashes, bumps or anything with it, its running a GTX465 now with 5 HDD's, 2DVD RW's, and an AMD x4 CPU.

I had Yamaoto's (spelling?) 420W psu running a 8800GT with an overclocked AMD X2 for years. On me second rig i had a PowerX PSU running 2x 6800GS in Sli..

Why spend extra on a brand name when a moderate brand does just aswell - eg - my current PSU (Coolermaster GX750w) is running my overclocked i7 930, 4xHDD's, 2x Sli GTX470's prefectly fine.

Get a name which suits your needs, never just the "top" brand.

You wouldnt go get an expensive usually Porsche GT3 for trips to town for shopping with the wife and you 2/3/4/5 kids would you? :-) (Just an over statement lol)
  16. Theres a lot of misleading information floating around the internet, could some one mention which PSU brands are trustworthy? I don't know if I'll have time to find out if a PSU is trustworthy on black friday.
  17. Timop said:
    Both are bad.

Youd rather get this 430W Corsair for $26AR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139017&cm_re=Corsair_PSU-_-17-139-017-_-Product

However that is not a balanced computer, the Athlon is going to bottleneck the 460 by quite a bit.

I agree with both statements, you can even use Corsair's site to choose a PSU for you. Your better off going with a phenom or i5/i7.
  18. Jorge89 said:
    Theres a lot of misleading information floating around the internet, could some one mention which PSU brands are trustworthy? I don't know if I'll have time to find out if a PSU is trustworthy on black friday.

Anything really, always go on the reviews of other customers and other peoples experiance, rather than just someone saying dont get this brand etc..

Any decent make consists of:

Antec, XFX, Corsair, Coolermaster, Seasonic, Enermax, OCZ...

Fact is, that all the PSU on sale have to be tested at their set load disbled on the PSU unit itself. A Company cannot lie under any circumstance, if they suggest there PSU is a 750w, then it can produce power of upto 750w.

FAct is, go on reviews and make sure a PSU fits in your budget. Dont over spend on a PSU just for the brand, get a decent brand in your price range..
  19. reccy said:
    Anything really, always go on the reviews of other customers and other peoples experiance, rather than just someone saying dont get this brand etc..

Any decent make consists of:

Antec, XFX, Corsair, Coolermaster, Seasonic, Enermax, OCZ...

Fact is, that all the PSU on sale have to be tested at their set load disbled on the PSU unit itself. A Company cannot lie under any circumstance, if they suggest there PSU is a 750w, then it can produce power of upto 750w.

FAct is, go on reviews and make sure a PSU fits in your budget. Dont over spend on a PSU just for the brand, get a decent brand in your price range..

Wrong, :fou:

I have seen many MANY MANY 750 wat PSUs that are not able to put out what they say they can.

YOU are the one that should stop spreading lies.

NEVER get generic PSU they often "Overrate" there psu.

You can never go wrong with Corsair or seasonic OCZ is good too.
  20. I've read the newegg customer reviews for all the PSUs I've looked at and a lot of the "cheap/too good to be true" ones have mixed reviews which about half are 5 eggs and about the other half 1 egg, with a lot of people saying they are great and some saying their PCs are damaged. I guess I'll only go with 5 egg PSus only and stick to the brands mentioned above.

21. Fact is, that all the PSU on sale have to be tested at their set load disbled on the PSU unit itself. A Company cannot lie under any circumstance, if they suggest there PSU is a 750w, then it can produce power of upto 750w.

quotemsg]

not true, read this

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Coolmax-CUL-750B-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/977/10
  22. Randomacts and iam2thecrowe - ^5

jorge89 - Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in competent technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty (in the USA).
  23. JohnnyLucky said:
    Randomacts and iam2thecrowe - ^5

jorge89 - Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in competent technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty (in the USA).

After reading the reviews on this PSU, I don't know if you could even trust the best brands, what is this world coming to? is there a DIY guide for making PSUs? :pt1cable:
  24. Spreading lies? HAHAHAH That made me chuckle.. How am i spreading lies? Think about it, if a company suggests there service can produce a load of 750w, then that PSU should be able to produce 750w (read the fine print, maybe its peak power, or 100% full load power) If not, then the company is producing a service that it cannot handle.

Making the company liable for suing as they are providing a service which cannot be agreed or reached.

Fact is, ive never had a bad experiance with a "generic" brand of PSU, so why would i slate siomething ive never had a problem with? So before you mouth off and call me a lier again you pedantic paracite think about your next words.

*Takes his hat off*
  25. Best answer selected by jorge89.
  26. reccy said:
    Spreading lies? HAHAHAH That made me chuckle.. How am i spreading lies? Think about it, if a company suggests there service can produce a load of 750w, then that PSU should be able to produce 750w (read the fine print, maybe its peak power, or 100% full load power) If not, then the company is producing a service that it cannot handle.

Making the company liable for suing as they are providing a service which cannot be agreed or reached.

Fact is, ive never had a bad experiance with a "generic" brand of PSU, so why would i slate siomething ive never had a problem with? So before you mouth off and call me a lier again you pedantic paracite think about your next words.

*Takes his hat off*

You can't fix stupid.......
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product