Reinstall old hdd temporarily to get data...

Jsplinter

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I just installed a ssd on a laptop, but I forgot to grab a couple of files off the old hard drive. I used the same Windows 7 key of course. My question, is it safe to unhook the new hdd, so I can temporarily reinstall the old hdd, boot up, and grab the data. Then reconnect the new hdd. Is there any chance I'd create a problem with the new hdd? I'll disconnect the internet before installing the old hdd, so that Windows does not try to validate nline or anything.

Solution
Hi there,

Using the same computer, same OS, there's no problem Disconnecting the SSD, then connecting the older HHD to boot up to Windows 7. Then get the files or drivers you need on a USB flashdrive. Then disconnect the older HHD, and reconnect the SSD. Only one connected at a time.

Assumming you have a retail copy of Win-7 and it required the online registration of the new installation after completion.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Using the same computer, same OS, there's no problem Disconnecting the SSD, then connecting the older HHD to boot up to Windows 7. Then get the files or drivers you need on a USB flashdrive. Then disconnect the older HHD, and reconnect the SSD. Only one connected at a time.

Assumming you have a retail copy of Win-7 and it required the online registration of the new installation after completion.

Solution

Jsplinter

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Yes, you are right. Thanks for the reassurance. I did exactly this, no problems. Thank you.