Sign in with
Your question

Gaming CPU as Clone Server...specs pls

Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2010 2:36:15 AM

Hi guys, im new to this site as you can see and i was hoping someone from the members can help me out building a gaming pc that i will use as a server. A friend of mine suggested it coz gaming pc uses so much power in it thus using it as a server for accounting systems and payroll systems is a good idea.

First off, kindly copy the statement below on your reply and increment the vote accordingly. ( i dont know how to use the POLL ). Remember to check the previous post so that your vote will be counted. thanks

--- I prefer my Gaming CPU processor to be INTEL ( 0 ) / AMD ( 0 ) ---

I currently have on my list are
Proc: AMD Phenom II X6 1075T
Mobo: Asus M4A79-T Deluxe

( Other parts will follow because they are easier to find. )

Are these good enough? This clone server will serve around 25-30 users. Never mind overclocking because i don't want to do that. Can someone give opinions and share their recommended specs instead? And will using an AMD server processor be a good idea compared to these processors?

thanks in advance.
October 2, 2010 9:53:14 AM

Get one of the newer 8 seriese Asus boards, I have an M4A87TD and its great, USB3 and SATA 6GB and the core unlocker turned my Athlon II X3 into a Phenom II X3 :D 

--- I prefer my Gaming CPU processor to be INTEL ( 0 ) / AMD ( 1 ) ---
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2010 8:24:44 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine suggested it coz gaming pc uses so much power in it thus using it as a server for accounting systems and payroll systems is a good idea.

What is this for? Is this a mission critical set up? Is your software multithreaded? What OS? Is this for a business? Budget?

Exactly what are you trying to do?

Quote:
A friend of mine suggested it coz gaming pc uses so much power in it thus using it as a server for accounting systems and payroll systems is a good idea.

Huh? Are you talking about power draw or performance?

Quote:
This clone server will serve around 25-30 users.

Are you talking about a server for something like Norton Ghost?

If you are talking about a file server, there are VASTLY different things to consider than just putting in a gaming CPU. For example, SAS vs SATA, hardware RAID, ECC RAM,etc.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2010 1:54:06 PM

Hi Chris, what you mean by turned your athlon to phenom?

Hi Shadow, wow..thats vast info your asking.. hmm its a hotel system that i we want to install. OS will be Windows 2008 server. Around 30 users will use the system simultaneously. Gaming PC as performance, since it perform greatly on games that require great resources. So using it as a server, although the hotel system doesnt require much but the idea is pretty much the same coz about 30 users need to access it... considering power also i guess.
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2010 4:23:35 PM

A few things you should know:
1. A gaming system has a very good graphic card. This makes all the difference in a gaming system. 4GB RAM is usually enough for a gaming system. A high end graphic card is not needed in a server.

2. A server usually has more RAM,HDDs,etc than a gaming system. A server is usually optimized to provide fast file access,etc. For example, adding a SSD to a file/web server will greatly increase the IOPS which makes a huge difference depending on the workload. For a gaming system, adding an SSD will improve boot times, game load times and general responsiveness and that's pretty much it.

3. Is the OS Server 2008 (Vista code base) or 2008 R2 (Win 7 code base)?

Quote:

He is saying that he unlocked the L3 cache that is disabled on the Athlon II. Basically, this turns it in to a Phenom II.
===========
As for the build,

1. How much space do you need and how much do you use currently?

2. Budget?

3. Is this mission critical? As in if the system goes down, it will cost you money.

4. Would you happen to know if your application is more CPU bound or HDD bound? Do the manufactures list any minimum/recommend system specs for that program?
If you don't know this info, you can call/email the manufactures for the software and as them this.

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 12:39:39 AM

Shadow703793 said:
A few things you should know:
1. A gaming system has a very good graphic card. This makes all the difference in a gaming system. 4GB RAM is usually enough for a gaming system. A high end graphic card is not needed in a server.

2. A server usually has more RAM,HDDs,etc than a gaming system. A server is usually optimized to provide fast file access,etc. For example, adding a SSD to a file/web server will greatly increase the IOPS which makes a huge difference depending on the workload. For a gaming system, adding an SSD will improve boot times, game load times and general responsiveness and that's pretty much it.

3. Is the OS Server 2008 (Vista code base) or 2008 R2 (Win 7 code base)?

Quote:

He is saying that he unlocked the L3 cache that is disabled on the Athlon II. Basically, this turns it in to a Phenom II.
===========
As for the build,

1. How much space do you need and how much do you use currently?

2. Budget?

3. Is this mission critical? As in if the system goes down, it will cost you money.

4. Would you happen to know if your application is more CPU bound or HDD bound? Do the manufactures list any minimum/recommend system specs for that program?
If you don't know this info, you can call/email the manufactures for the software and as them this.

------------------
Few things to know:
1. Yup no need of graphics card
2. adding up SSD. i still dont have any idea about that, i did find an external hardware ( external SSD ) that will boost HD performance, ill check on that one.
3. I think its this one -> 2008 R2

As for the build.
1. This is a new system. i think 500GB will be enough.
2. Budget, less than 100k (Pesos)
3. Ill have a mirror server ready. or a mirror HD
4. The manufacturer just recommended a gaming cpu. did not state much of the specs. Its more of process bound since 30 simultaneous users will access it to make hotel transactions.

kindly answer this poll

--- I prefer my Gaming CPU processor to be INTEL ( 0 ) / AMD ( 1 ) ---
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 12:57:54 AM

1. Good.

2. NO! Do NOT get an external SSD. It will be limited by USB/FireWire bandwidth.

3. Good.

------------
As for the build:

AMD:

AMD Phenom II X4 or X6
ASUS M4A77TD AM3 770
4xSamsung F3 500GB in RAID10
2*2GB DDR3 1600
Corsair 450VX or other decent PSU
Any decent case
A cheap GPU like a 8400GS or GTS220 or ATI 4550/4350
DVD RW

Intel:

Core i7 920/930/950
ASUS P6T SE or Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
4xSamsung F3 500GB in RAID10
3*2GB DDR3 1600
Corsair 450VX or other decent PSU
Any decent case
DVD RW

True server:
2x Intel Xeon E5630
ASUS Z8NA-D6C Dual LGA 1366
90Gb OCZ Vertex 2 or Agility 2 for OS
4x Samsung F3s 500GB in RAID01
(2 sets)3*2GB DDR3 1600
XFX 650W or other decent PSU PSU with 2x 4+4 CPU connectors.
Any decent case

Do note, If this is a mission critical system, I highly recommend getting a system from Dell or HP or other manufacturer that provides a good warranty
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 1:31:32 AM

@shadow

And there goes the specs. :) 

1. Why does Intel have 6GB DDR3 compared to AMD?
2. Why need 4 pcs of 500GB?
3. Is the Server specs better than the Intel & AMD specs? Or all 3 have almost similar performance?
4. How to attain SSD? is that samsung f3 a ssd already?
October 4, 2010 2:38:23 PM

Hi guys, i created this thread again because my old post was missing and im currently waiting for the admin to hopefully retrieve it and if they can, then i might close this thread by then.

anyways, can someone suggest some gaming cpu specs that is full of power to act as a server?

Shadow703793 helped me with this and i hope he can repost everything in my other thread.
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 3:05:35 PM

I think it would depend on the kind of server... Generally, tho, something with a lot of CPU cores will be good
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 3:12:59 PM

Thread restored at request of the OP.
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 3:26:38 PM

This next topics has been merged by Aford10
  • I want to use a gaming cpu as a clone server..need help
    October 5, 2010 12:51:01 AM

@ aford10 thank you sir, you've done a great job as a moderator

@ to the other moderators: If you are to delete a certain thread and delete certain account, why not give warning? or at least a reason to such action, that way, members wont be left hanging in the rope.

@wolfram yup. i think that would be it

Would like to ask for some more opinions before deciding which rig to make. hope shadow can help me out.
    a b à CPUs
    October 5, 2010 2:09:16 AM

^ The thing is, with your $100k peso (~$8k USD). I would NOT go with a gaming PC/set up. Period. I'd get a 2P server with a RAID card and a few SSDs and 4x HDDs in RAID 10 and ECC RAM.
    October 5, 2010 12:45:51 PM

2P server with a RAID card and a few SSDs and 4x HDDs in RAID 10 and ECC RAM.

- how can i get this and what are the specs?
    a b à CPUs
    October 5, 2010 3:56:19 PM

^
    Quote:
    2x Intel Xeon E5630
    ASUS Z8NA-D6C Dual LGA 1366
    90Gb OCZ Vertex 2 or Agility 2 for OS perhaps 2x in RAID0 or 1.
    4x Samsung F3s 500GB in RAID01
    (2 sets)3*2GB DDR3 1600
    XFX 650W or other decent PSU PSU with 2x 4+4 CPU connectors.
    Any decent case

That is a 2P server. As for RAID card, I haven't looked much in to them recently so can't tell you what to get. As for where to "buy" these over in your country I have no idea. All of these stuff can be bought on Newegg, however Newegg will not ship to other countries.
    October 6, 2010 2:12:23 AM

OK, so is the raid card different from the raid feature in the motherboard? --- confused. :) 

and about the SSD. i still dont have a complete idea regarding this. Is this like an ordinary HD that you just install on your tower and power it up? and if so, do we place in files into it?
    !