$800-900 build halp

prestonp

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the next month

BUDGET RANGE: 800-900

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming/school/work

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: speakers, input device, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: no preference

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: motherboard that supports amd cpu and sli

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, in the future would like to add another gtx460

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will this setup work? how well would sli gtx460 run 3 monitors? if it can't run 1080 well, could it run lower resolutions pretty good?

tecmo34

Administrator
I would switch your RAM to these instead for a little more money... G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

The rest of your build looks good. I'm not a fan of AMD and Nvidia Chipsets (Nvidia Chipsets don't have a good track record of being very stable). I would rather see you go with an i5-750 build for $85 more, which gives you a more reliable SLI setup... Intel Core i5-750 and ASUS P7P55D-E Pro (It is only like a 3% decrease in performance from x16,x16 to x8,x8, so you won't notice any major difference).

prestonp

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
tecmo, could you explain the difference between the ram? the one you linked featured "Specifically Designed to compatible with Intel Core i5 and Core i7 for Intel P55 motherboard" is that why its better?

i'd like to hear others opinions on amd and nvidia gpus, right now im on the fence between my build and tecmo's more stable changes. thanks :)

tecmo34

Administrator
The difference is the RAM is more the latency/timings. The memory I picked is running at Cas7 versus Cas9 of yours. The lower the Cas, the faster the RAM processed data. The designed for Intel statement basically means it has a voltage requirement under 1.66V. The new Intel chips have a voltage requirement of 1.65V or less on the memory or risk damaging the chip.

I understand wanting additional feedback on the AMD / Nvidia... :)