What to keep on SSD? Gaming

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I built my new gaming rig and it's working perfectly, I installed everything onto my SSD so far though and I'm running out of space. I basically only want my OS and all my games on the SSD and all my music and other stuff on my hard drive. What folders can I safely move over to the hard drive? (I don't know where the OS folder is lol I'm a noob, but I know where my games are).

Edit: Also, what about startup programs? Should I keep them on SSD?

What size SSD do you have? It will not hurt to have your games on the other hard drive because the only thing that a SSD does for a game is load the map faster and the actual gameplay is not afected by the SSD. What does affect the gameplay is the video card , the cpu and your network connection.
Prices of SSDs are getting lower and with rebates , sales , Black Friday and Christmas you can easily save some more money and get a second SSD for your games. You can pick up a SSD of 120gb for under $100 easy and it would hold 10 games easy.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

I have a Samsung 830 Series 128gb SSD with a western digital 1tb hard drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147134

$140 and you can have a seperate SSD just to load your games on and then you'll have them at the same speed as the primary drive. It's just an option to think about and I did the same thing as I have two Samsung 830 SSDs with a bunch of stuff on the second one including the games. The one thing that I do and is different from a lot of people is that I don't let the bang for the buck and the best price and all those other slogans that a lot of people go with, I just look at what I want to do with my computer and I do it nd if it cost a little more then so what I'm not running a buisness where I have to account for expenses.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Sorry this doesn't exactly answer my question lol I'm trying to figure out which folders to move to my hard drive.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

So it wouldn't have a problem with me moving the entire program files x86 folder? Then moving the games back to the SSD?