Sign in with
Your question

What to keep on SSD? Gaming

Last response: in Storage
October 15, 2012 2:07:41 AM

I built my new gaming rig and it's working perfectly, I installed everything onto my SSD so far though and I'm running out of space. I basically only want my OS and all my games on the SSD and all my music and other stuff on my hard drive. What folders can I safely move over to the hard drive? (I don't know where the OS folder is lol I'm a noob, but I know where my games are).

Edit: Also, what about startup programs? Should I keep them on SSD?

More about : ssd gaming

a b 4 Gaming
a c 119 G Storage
October 15, 2012 2:32:00 AM

What size SSD do you have? It will not hurt to have your games on the other hard drive because the only thing that a SSD does for a game is load the map faster and the actual gameplay is not afected by the SSD. What does affect the gameplay is the video card , the cpu and your network connection.
Prices of SSDs are getting lower and with rebates , sales , Black Friday and Christmas you can easily save some more money and get a second SSD for your games. You can pick up a SSD of 120gb for under $100 easy and it would hold 10 games easy.
m
l
October 15, 2012 2:43:24 AM

inzone said:
What size SSD do you have? It will not hurt to have your games on the other hard drive because the only thing that a SSD does for a game is load the map faster and the actual gameplay is not afected by the SSD. What does affect the gameplay is the video card , the cpu and your network connection.
Prices of SSDs are getting lower and with rebates , sales , Black Friday and Christmas you can easily save some more money and get a second SSD for your games. You can pick up a SSD of 120gb for under $100 easy and it would hold 10 games easy.

I have a Samsung 830 Series 128gb SSD with a western digital 1tb hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 3:58:02 AM

I just don't know which folders I can move to the hard drive without interfering with programs
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 119 G Storage
October 15, 2012 3:59:34 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$140 and you can have a seperate SSD just to load your games on and then you'll have them at the same speed as the primary drive. It's just an option to think about and I did the same thing as I have two Samsung 830 SSDs with a bunch of stuff on the second one including the games. The one thing that I do and is different from a lot of people is that I don't let the bang for the buck and the best price and all those other slogans that a lot of people go with, I just look at what I want to do with my computer and I do it nd if it cost a little more then so what I'm not running a buisness where I have to account for expenses.
m
l
October 15, 2012 4:04:26 AM

inzone said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$140 and you can have a seperate SSD just to load your games on and then you'll have them at the same speed as the primary drive. It's just an option to think about and I did the same thing as I have two Samsung 830 SSDs with a bunch of stuff on the second one including the games. The one thing that I do and is different from a lot of people is that I don't let the bang for the buck and the best price and all those other slogans that a lot of people go with, I just look at what I want to do with my computer and I do it nd if it cost a little more then so what I'm not running a buisness where I have to account for expenses.

Sorry this doesn't exactly answer my question lol I'm trying to figure out which folders to move to my hard drive.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 119 G Storage
October 15, 2012 4:08:35 AM

You can move the ones that you want, you just have to make sure that Windows knows where they are so when you click on the shortcut is will go to the where the file is.
m
l
October 15, 2012 4:14:23 AM

inzone said:
You can move the ones that you want, you just have to make sure that Windows knows where they are so when you click on the shortcut is will go to the where the file is.

So it wouldn't have a problem with me moving the entire program files x86 folder? Then moving the games back to the SSD?
m
l
October 15, 2012 5:16:50 AM

I keep getting stupid errors where I need permission from myself to change folders, access is denied when I have to end processes that files are running on, it's just a mess...
m
l
!